PDA

View Full Version : Saw The Passion, my thoughts for those who care to hear

JulieL
02-26-2004, 03:47 PM
I am a Christain so this movie hit me very hard and in a very spiritual somber way. It was masterfully put together. The story rang true to the Bible and in no way compromised the scriptures with the added dramactic elements. Today I am still thinking about it and am going over it in my mind. As far as anti-semetic, it is not. It shows the high priests, scribes and elders actually fighting amongst theirselves, whether or not to prosocute him, even before they end up taking Jesus to Pilate. There are flashbacks that are quite powerful that give glimpses of what Jesus taught, although obviously this film is not on Jesus's ministry in full. It is VERY violent. If you are queesy maybe you should wait till video to watch it. I was moved beyond words and cried pretty much during the whole film. In the beginning it shows Peter denying Jesus as Jesus told him he would. Peter is horrified by his denial and calls himself unworthy. As a Christian I don't believe I am above this and was moved as it showed the humanity and sins Christians have as well.

My husband is not a Christain and found the film good in all. He thought the walk with Jesus carrying the cross was a little long. Although he is not a Christain he said many of the scenes were very emotional for him as well. He made a good point that this film is geared towards Christains or those who have knowledge of the Bible. As in the flashbacks to Jesus's ministry you have to already know what it is showing to understand the points. The flashbacks are not explained. For those who watch it and wonder the meaning of them I suggest you read the scriptures for clarification.

I hope people are respectful to Christains who's whole life is given hope, direction and value because of Jesus's sacrifice to all. Please don't get ugly in thoughts regarding this film, although critical thoughts are enjoyable to read. Just a Christains thoughts.

SeanaRain
02-26-2004, 03:55 PM
Neither myself nor my DH are Christians although we both were raised as such. We went to see The Passion last night. It was a very well done movie. Very emotionally charged. The mood of the crowd leaving the theater was very somber. It was a very graphic movie though. I'm not sure how I felt about seeing junior high kids in the theater.

The person who did the make-up should get an Oscar nominee in my opinion. It was very well done!

houseof3boys
02-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Julie that was a great review. From what I have seen from the specials on TV, it looks like a lot of thought was put into the movie and more than that (no pun intended) a lot of passion to make a great realistic film. Hollywood is making a big deal about it because I think it must be so realistic.

parkersmama
02-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I am also a Christian but haven't been able to bring myself to see it. Our church had a "private showing" on Tuesday night and lots of the congregation went but not us. Dh wants to see it but I just don't think I can stand it. I cry just listening to the story being dramatically read. I can't imagine seeing it in such a real context and not being terribly upset. I will probably see it when it comes out on DVD so that I can pause it and watch at my leisure and also so "bigger than life" like it is at the movies.

parkersmama
02-27-2004, 11:25 PM
I am also a Christian but haven't been able to bring myself to see it. Our church had a "private showing" on Tuesday night and lots of the congregation went but not us. Dh wants to see it but I just don't think I can stand it. I cry just listening to the story being dramatically read. I can't imagine seeing it in such a real context and not being terribly upset. I will probably see it when it comes out on DVD so that I can pause it and watch at my leisure and also so "bigger than life" like it is at the movies.