PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ladies, what face/eye creme do you use??

aliceinwonderland
02-27-2004, 01:04 PM
My favorite is La Mer, but I can't afford to buy it regularly...What's a good alternative? Contrary to what most people seem to like, I LOVE a nice, heavy (even a little greasy)creme for my face, as I mostly use it at night...La Mer was the perfect thing (really thick and heavy), but what else is good??

Also, while on the topic, any favorite eye cremes? I have ok skin, but the area around my eyes is a little dry and I get wrikles that way :(

THANKS!!

eri and the bean, due in April

sntm
02-27-2004, 01:22 PM
i've always wondered what la mer was like! is it really worth the $$$?

i've backed off of even the medium pricy options, but i like Neutrogena moisturizers -- can't think of the name but there is a day cream and night cream that come in little pots. I like a skin serum by Elizabeth Arden. For eyes, I am still using up my Bobbi Brown eye cream, but hear raves over the neutrogena one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

C99
02-27-2004, 01:50 PM
The only one I use regularly is Aveda's hydrating lotion. It's not a cream, it's definitely a lotion and thinner.

bluej
02-27-2004, 02:01 PM
I don't have a favorite face lotion/creme...still looking for that perfect one yet. However, for eye creme I use straight up shea butter w/ a little bit of essential oils mixed in. Cheap, cheap and effective (or so far at least!).

chrissyhowie
02-27-2004, 02:02 PM
I really like L'Occitane Precious Cream.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P39916

It is creamy and heavy, but doesn't feel super greasy. I use it both day and night.

In the past I used to use Oil of Olay but was finding it was not at all moisturizing enough for me. I always had major dry patches, especially immediately post-partum. This was my first foray into using more expensive face creams, and for me it is totally worth the money.

I think L'occitane carries even heavier face creams too if you need that. I also use their Shea Butter hand cream which has been a lifesaver since I am constantly washing my hands at work.

I usually buy this stuff on Ebay new in package. Saves me a few dollars plus I don't have to go to the store to get it.

HTH,

MartiesMom2B
02-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Please note that I am a consultant, but I use Mary Kay products. They have a new face cream that works very well - its actually the best that I've tried.

I am a beauty product/skin care junkie and I have tried everything. Clinique's cremes didn't moisturize enough, I found L'Occitane to be a little too heavy. I do like Neutragena's stuff and Avon had a neat moisturizing gel too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

momtoemma
02-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Sonia,

I use a lot of MK products and am very happy with their cleaners. What is the new moisturizer you are talking about?

Thanks,

KGoes
02-27-2004, 02:58 PM
I had a client in the beauty product business and he told me that Oil of Olay wins blind use contests over anything else on the market, cheap or pricey. I use Oil of Olay products because I have sensitive skin and I can usually find good coupons when I need to stock up. FWIW, according to this client, Pantene wins the shampoo and conditioner trials.
Kelley
DD born 7/03

aliceinwonderland
02-27-2004, 03:09 PM
Shannon,
That creme is so great, I can't even describe it...worth $100 for the tiniest container? I don't know, but I KNOW if I had more $$ it would be the only one I'd use...

aliceinwonderland
02-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Interesting.

Thanks everyone...I have to try some new products now:)

JenCA
02-27-2004, 03:46 PM
I don't use creme (my skin tends to be too oily for that), but I do use Kiehl's ultra facial moisturizer with spf 15. I also use Dermalogica's multivitamin power firm for eye/lip area to help combat wrinkles.

brigmaman
02-27-2004, 03:57 PM
You are a consultant? There was some hand lotion that I had once- the best ever! I saved the empty tube until recently, thinking that I'd purchase it if I ever found a consultant. I also love the peppermint foot gel!

cuca_
02-27-2004, 03:58 PM
For the eyes I use either Clarins' eye contour balm or L'occitane Immortelle Eye Balm. I like both a lot. As for face cream, I am still searching for one I really like.

HTH

Carmen

kransden
02-27-2004, 04:03 PM
Oil of Olay has some new products out. I signed up on their website last fall and got some free samples. I was really happy with them and will buy them. You might see if they are still doing that.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

newbelly2002
02-27-2004, 04:15 PM
What about for *really* sensitive skin? Most Neutrogena and Elizabeth Arden cremes have caused a dry red rash after a few days. Clinque ahs worked well but we've got raditor heat (the kind where hot water is forced in, sorry, don't know the name) now and it's especially drying.

Any suggestions?
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

anutalp
02-27-2004, 04:28 PM
I use Clarins eye gel (blue) for years and years and love it. I guess soon I'll have to change for something heavier (like Estee or Lancome) cause I'm already 31.
The Clarins eye gel prevents and improves dark circles, puffy eyes. I tried a lot of stuff but this is the best.
Ana.

Marisa6826
02-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Been using Aveda for years, but my face is so dry (to the point of being flakey), that the girl that does my facials just switched me to Skinceuticals.

I'm still using the Aveda sensitive cleanser, but for afterward it's this new stuff. I use a B5 gel followed with this thick moisturizer. She said the moisturizer is based off of La Mer. Same seaweed/algae extracts, but 1/2 as expensive.

My skin's better, but still crazy dry. We seem to think that it's due to all the fertility shots.

-m

Marisa6826
02-27-2004, 04:31 PM
double post

houseof3boys
02-27-2004, 04:49 PM
I have been wanting to try the Precious Cream and I think I will based on your "review" of it. I saw it in Allure I think or In Style and wondered about the effectivness of it.

Just like all of them, you have to try it to now if it works for you!!! I do love their hand cream though. :)

mattysmom
02-27-2004, 04:49 PM
I am a big fan of Mario Badescu products. You can get them online (www.mariobadescu.com) or at some Nordstroms, and specialty shops (I think you are in Boston (that's where I am)?? If so, check out Beauty and Main - they have great stuff - and they have a few places - Cambridge, Newton, etc...and I think they have a website too)

houseof3boys
02-27-2004, 04:53 PM
I am a product junkie! These days, my day is Kiehl's or the Neutrogena with sunscreen. Night is so dependent on how my skin is doing. I use to have really good clear skin and ever since Ryan was born it has changed. I use Paula's Choice with antioxidants if it is dry, Clarins if it is really dry, Oil of Olay with some retinol in it when it is normal, a glycolic lotion when it is looking ruddy and want it gently exfoliated. Let's not get me started on face masks....

I love to sample everything but I haven't found anything I truly loved in a long time so I'll be reading the responses!

I have always wanted to try La Mer but just couldn't justify the cost. I may have to break down one day and get it, but that could be trouble if I love it. "No honey, we can't go out to dinner for the rest of the month since I really want to get this face cream that NASA scientists invented that is supposed to be amazing for my skin".

trumansmom
02-27-2004, 04:58 PM
I'm a thick, greasy cream user myself, and in a recent fit to quit spending money on luxuries, I switched face cream, makeup and shampoo. I've since switched back on everything EXCEPT my new found cheapie face cream. I LOVE Ponds Face Cream. Not the cleanser, but just the cream. And just yesterday my dentist, who is also a Mary Kay consultant, commented on how healthy my skin looks these days. It could be pregnancy, but I think it's the Pond's. I really, really love it!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

aliceinwonderland
02-27-2004, 05:04 PM
no suggestions, but I was on L'Occitane's website, and there's a honey-something creme there that looks promising...No experince with it, though...

aliceinwonderland
02-27-2004, 05:06 PM
hmm, that "thick moisturiser" you mention looks promising. So does l'Occitane's precious creme something or other...

off to the web to find them :)

MartiesMom2B
02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
There are two new creams: Intense Moisturizing Cream and Oil Free Huydrating Gel. I use the oil free b/c I have weird skin that gets dry spots in my oily T-Zone. It works great. There is an article about it in Womens Wear Daily.

Also next month MK is debuting a new eye cream. This cream combines the two former creams (Instant Action Eye Cream and Triple Action Eye Enhancer). Ask your consultant about it.

Sonia

MartiesMom2B
02-27-2004, 05:13 PM
Let me know if you don't get my PM.

Sonia

Gayletmomto4
02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
I like the Kiehl's Creme Elegance Repairateur (sp?) which is on the heavy side. My skin is dry and it works well. It's not cheap but also not in the La Mer league-about $55 for a good size tub. I also like their eye cream which is in a small black pot. It's really heavy, almost a vaseline consistency.

HTH

Marisa6826
02-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Heres' the cream:

http://www.skinceuticals.com/productItem.asp?productTypeID=3&productID=39

Here's the B5 stuff:

http://www.skinceuticals.com/productItem.asp?productTypeID=3&productID=37

I'm also trying a sample of this stuff on my melasma spot:

http://www.skinceuticals.com/productItem.asp?productTypeID=4&productID=30

good luck and happy shopping!

-m

emmiem
02-27-2004, 10:20 PM
I use products by Paula's Choice. I have very sensitive skin so this is the only line that I can use. It has no nonsense packaging, the price is right, and information is priceless. www.paulaschoice.com

emmie

jd11365
02-27-2004, 11:50 PM
My mom, who is a well-respected Aesthetician in NYC (She's been quoted in Self and Glamour magazines) loves Sothys products. BTW, would you believe I rarely use any skin products...I think I rebelled when I was a teen and never really got into them... I'm getting to the age though where I need to get more into it...and since I get it free, you'd think I would! She does charity work and suggests Neutrogena for those who can't afford the pricier products. She also loves the eye cream that has foreskin in it...yes, gross...but it apparently works great!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jd11365
02-27-2004, 11:50 PM
My mom, who is a well-respected Aesthetician in NYC (She's been quoted in Self and Glamour magazines) loves Sothys products. BTW, would you believe I rarely use any skin products...I think I rebelled when I was a teen and never really got into them... I'm getting to the age though where I need to get more into it...and since I get it free, you'd think I would! She does charity work and suggests Neutrogena for those who can't afford the pricier products. She also loves the eye cream that has foreskin in it...yes, gross...but it apparently works great!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jec2
02-28-2004, 12:15 AM
I've used a lot, Clinque, Lancome, Kiehls, Aveda. But, my current is Jurlique. (www.jurlique.com) I love their Calendula Cream. It is really thick and heavy, but when you spray a couple of pumps of their rosewater freshener in your palm, it loosens it up and then you apply.

I have however, decided to skimp and not buy their SPF moisturizer so I mix the calendula cream with Oil of Olay SPF moisturizer.

jec2
02-28-2004, 12:15 AM
I've used a lot, Clinque, Lancome, Kiehls, Aveda. But, my current is Jurlique. (www.jurlique.com) I love their Calendula Cream. It is really thick and heavy, but when you spray a couple of pumps of their rosewater freshener in your palm, it loosens it up and then you apply.

I have however, decided to skimp and not buy their SPF moisturizer so I mix the calendula cream with Oil of Olay SPF moisturizer.

houseof3boys
02-28-2004, 12:24 AM
OMG Jamie, LOL at foreskin in the eye cream! Really? Yowza.

That's nify about your mom being "famous" in the skincare world. I'll have to chck out Sothys.

How could you not use all of those wonderful freebies? Wackadoodle :)

houseof3boys
02-28-2004, 12:24 AM
OMG Jamie, LOL at foreskin in the eye cream! Really? Yowza.

That's nify about your mom being "famous" in the skincare world. I'll have to chck out Sothys.

How could you not use all of those wonderful freebies? Wackadoodle :)

Jeanne
02-28-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm a NuSkin product user. Love everything they make! However, I've always wanted to try La Mer and La Prairie but haven't because of the price tag.

Jeanne
02-28-2004, 12:35 AM
I'm a NuSkin product user. Love everything they make! However, I've always wanted to try La Mer and La Prairie but haven't because of the price tag.

Tracey
02-28-2004, 05:56 AM
Personally, I do not like La Mer. It has mineral oil in it which can break many people out. The serum is TO DIE FOR though! Anyway, a couple of years ago I started using sage skin care and I have to say, it is fabulous stuff. I'd get the trial pack, but there is a heavy cream if that is all you are looking for. The heavy one is called "old lady cream" :). Anything with a little acid will get rid of those fine wrinkles and lines. You will love Sage!

Check it out:
http://www.zerozits.com/

Imperia
02-28-2004, 06:54 AM
If there is anything I am more addicted to than children's clothing it would probably be cosmetics. I love going to Sephora, mmmmmm!

Anyway, I use a brand I don't think anyoen has mentioned :

Erno Laszlo. It's sort of harder to coem by, Sephora doesn't carry it any longer, which infuriates me. YOu can get it at Nordstroms but of cours ether isn't one in my town so I usually have to order on the internet. Anywa, I use it becaus emy mother has used it for over 30 years and her skin is fantastic (she is in her mid 60's and doesn't have ANY wrinkles, not even around her eyes). I know some of that is genetic, but still...Laszlo was also the only thing that would clear up my skin when I was acne prone due to medication I was taking. I can't say enough good things about this product line, except it is rather pricey. They have various creams and lotions of various weights depending on your skin type (they "clock" you which determines which products you need).

*sigh*

now I want to Sephora

Imperia

billysmommy
02-28-2004, 09:13 AM
I absolutely love the triple action eye enhancer....now I can't wait to try the new one :)