PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the sleep thing??? Help!

todzwife
02-27-2004, 01:10 PM
I haven't slept more than 2 hours at a time for the last week! Dallin was doing so good until he got his shots- could be purly coincidence- I am so incredibly tired. He slept 6-7 hours and now he's CONSTANTLY getting up acting hungry...so I feed him and he goes back to sleep only to wake up again 1-2 hours later. FWIW, he's not napping well either, and that could be part of the problem. I got spoiled- he was so easy. I tried tylenol thinking maybe he was getting teeth, but it didn't make a difference. I tried switching him to a disposable diaper (instead of cloth) and it didn't make a difference. I swaddle him super tight, but I think it might be time to wean him from that since it doesn't seem to be working anyway, plus he gets sweaty, even when he's just in a diaper and the blanket. Sorry if this is rambling- I am in a fog at the moment. Any suggestions would be great.zzzzzzzzzzz

sweetbasil
02-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Shandelle,
Do you see any signs of teeth under his gums- redness/bulging gums, irritation, rubbing, chewing, excess drooling, etc.? Charlie and Kellen both started teething early- Charlie started teething around 3 mo and the first two broke through at 4 mo; Kellen started teething at 4 mo and the first two broke through at 6 mo. If that could be it, you could try motrin once instead of Tylenol- Tylenol does nothing for Charlie's teething pain....

Hang in there- I hope you get lots of sleep this weekend!

hugs,

daisymommy
02-27-2004, 02:10 PM
I'll betcha $5 it's teeth or a growth spurt. The fact that he wakes up acting hungry, nurses and goes back to sleep seems like a growth spurt. But Joshua got his first 2 teeth at 4 months old. He was acting fussy and chewing everything in sight for 4-6 weeks prior to that though. We never saw redness or felt any bumps under his gums. Then all of a sudden, there were two little white points coming through his gums! I would try some Motrin and a cold teething ring to see if that helps at all. Also, try increasing his feeding amounts during the day, so he may nurse less at night. I have heard that they only feed more for a few days during a growth spurt, then thing simmer down again.

Maybe you're lucky enough to be dealing with BOTH a growth spurt and teeth at the same time ;) Sometimes the stars are just in alignment that way :P I feel for you though! I hope you get some sleep soon.

mik8
02-27-2004, 02:16 PM
I have same problem with my DD. She has been a good sleeper up until a few weeks ago. Exactly same as Shandelle aforementioned. I wonder if it's teething? Or perhaps a growth spurt? Motrin "seems" to help better than Tylenol but not so much. Only take 2 short cat naps during the day - one in a.m. and then p.m. If it's teething, then why is she not as bothered during the day? I mean she's generally a pretty happy camper during the day except when she's hungry and tired but that's easily resolved. Is it maybe because she has many distractions, i.e., playing, watching the dog, listening to music, etc. during the day?

Oh, Shandelle, I am fog-brained like you are too. I hope you didn't mind me jumping in with you in this post.

papal
02-27-2004, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a growth spurt Shandelle.. but i did not know that there is one around 4 months. Poor Dallin.. if it is teething maybe he is in pain.. is he crying? is he chewing on everything in site? it could not be because of the shots right? it has been a week so that should not be the reason..
..hope he feels better soon and you get your sleep back!
Where was it i was reading that before they do the next big thing.. they go back to waking every couple of hours.. maybe he is on the verge of sitting up????

todzwife
02-27-2004, 09:46 PM
He already thinks he can sit up, I barely have to touch him to keep him up and he's already sort of scooting himself around in circles...I think I might have an early crawler...