PDA

View Full Version : How much restraint did you have when you were ttc?

brigmaman
02-27-2004, 03:21 PM
I figure I probably own a good portion of whatever company makes First Response pregnancy tests based on the crazy number I've purchased over the past 5 years! So how did you all do... did you wait until you were pretty sure you were pregnant, or did you jump the gun at all?
When I first started trying I took them all the time. Then I saw the disappointment and cost issues. With Brig, I took a test a few days too early and it came up negative. Then after a few days I took another and...
This happens every month, now. I haven't taken one yet while trying this time, but towards the end I always think I might...

NEVE and TRISTAN
02-27-2004, 03:39 PM
Gosh I hate that the things cost so much. I just started buying First Response at Wal Mart they are a lot cheaper...and three packs...

I always cheat and take them early...I don't know if you were around when I jokingly (kind of) had a brilliant idea to actually reuse the stick (and god I admited it!!!!)...and turns out that it does work if you are pregnant to pick up the BHCG on the stick after it comes in negative. Can't say I'd push that method...but hey...

I get so mad...with my last pregnancy I took it I think 4 days before and it was negative and the next day it was the slightest slightest hint of a line...But unlike others I don't question a slight line at all...

I get so upset each month I'd be smart to not take them!!!!
Keep us posted...sending vibes your way!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JenCA
02-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Zero restraint here. I tested four days before I was even late (and got a positive result)!

brigmaman
02-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Neve, that is a funny suggestion. It's not always easy to keep a sense of humor, and I was actually apprehensive about posting this because I know it that many of us have had or are having trouble conceiving.
Part of me wants to just take one so that I don't get my hopes up!

hez
02-27-2004, 04:01 PM
Started out with pretty good restraint-- lost it after 6+ months of ttc for DS. One thing I learned: even if you're a couple days 'late' (my cycle was all over the map, so what the heck is really late?!), NEVER take a pregnancy test on Christmas morning. There may have been a slight hint of a line, but I decided it was negative. Christmas morning could have been much nicer if I wasn't prematurely disappointed... Took it a week later on New Year's Eve 2002 and discovered DS was on his way :)

McQ
02-27-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't know if you'd call it restraint, but I always waited until a day or so after just to prolong the disappointment. You did not want to be around me the days I got the negative tests back. Total witch.

This go round I wiped my store clean of tests. There were 2 packs on sale for 1/2 price plus they were the bonus pack so I got an extra test. So it was $9.99 for 3 tests. Score!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03

sntm
02-27-2004, 04:10 PM
i took it as early as possible also, and it was negative the first try. i was using the TCOYF software (love that thing!!!) and it told me i was pregnant a few days later. i took another test, and, "+"!

i always jump the gun on everything. i still have a box of opened but unused ovulation predictor kits that i bought in the 4 days between pregnancy tests. understand, this was our first month trying!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

COElizabeth
02-27-2004, 04:16 PM
Heather,

I can relate! I got my period on Christmas Day, 2001, after a few months of trying, and I was so upset (the month before I'd gotten it when I was home for Thanksgiving). Fortunately the Christmas one was the last one before DS came along!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

COElizabeth
02-27-2004, 04:17 PM
No restraint. Plus, when I did get a positive result, I had to verify it with several more tests the same day!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

cvharris
02-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Omigosh, me too. I got the faintest, faintest line the first time (12 DPO) and wondered if I was seeing things or not. DH couldn't tell if it was a real line or an evaporation line, either. I kept testing until I got a nice, dark line.

I also loved the TCOYF software. I had ovulation predictor tests and ept pregnancy tests that I bought at Costco. :)

Carolee and Ben (6/14/03)

nathansmom
02-27-2004, 04:44 PM
Not only did I refuse to try a home pregnancy test my dh and the doctors at the ivf clinic had to tie me down to do a blood test. I was so sure it was going to be negative.

LucyG
02-27-2004, 04:58 PM
I waited until Day 13 (was charting on paper with TCOYF), but took two more tests that same day I got my first positive! Then, sure that "it just couldn't be," I bought and took yet another test the day of my first midwife appointment (at 8 weeks). I kept thinking, "I'll go in there and not be pregnant after all, and I'll feel so silly!" Thankfully, I really WAS pregnant!

trumansmom
02-27-2004, 05:02 PM
I had ZERO restraint! A good month I would only test 5 or 6 times. Try www.saveontests.com. They work and you don't have to feel guilty about compulsive testing!!

Sending huge baby vibes your way!!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

shishamo
02-27-2004, 05:33 PM
OT, but I heard that you can buy 'bulk' pregancy test really cheap on ebay. Makes sense, it's such a simple product!

kklein
02-27-2004, 05:35 PM
I have no restraint, although I have gotten a lot better...now I usually try to wait and see if I'm late first. I have to admit I have been tempted by this many times:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2990414716&category=36437

I could get 100 tests for less than the price of two three packs. By the way, does anyone know if these work? :-)

Kristen

MartiesMom2B
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
I'd like to say that I have great restraint but I would be a big ol' liar. Two months before we conceived w/ Martie I was 50 days late so I took a pregnancy test and was ecstatic when I saw a faintest pink line. I told a friend about it and she said that she only heard bad things about the faint line. So I went to the doctors the next day to get the blood test. Well my pee test was negative and when I explained my situation he said "You don't seem very excited about being pregnant. I told him that I was worried b/c I was afraid that I would miscarry" He gave me major attitude and was a complete d!ck (pardon my language). I ended up miscarrying.

Fast forward two months and I was really busy travelling that I didn't notice that I was very late with my period. I told DH on a Monday that if I didn't get it by the following Thursday we'd take a test. On Tuesday, I went to a meeting and saw to brand new babies and they were nursing. My breasts hurt when I saw the babies nurse and took it as a sign. When I got home I demanded that we go to CVS to get tests. We bought three different brands. They all had a strong line (of course I was trying to remember which was the control line).

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

gracelynne
02-27-2004, 05:52 PM
No restraint whatsoever. I used to lurk at the epregnancy.com boards (then shifted over to the pregnancyandbaby.com boards when the split came) when we were ttc, and I found a link to a discount site for pregnancy tests. I think I bought ten -- and used them all up (plus quite a few more bought at drugstores) within two weeks. And once I got a faint line, I went out and bought a couple more just for good measure.

We were very fortunate that we were successful so quickly or we would have gone broke buying those tests. Poor DH, hovering expectantly outside the bathroom door over and over and over again...

momathome
02-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Or Thanksgiving Day, as I stupidly did this past year. Oops!
-Lauren

Imperia
02-27-2004, 06:51 PM
LOL

I was the same way! I think they put something addictive in the HPTs. I have only been pregnant one time (that I know of) in my life. I took a test a day or so before I was due for AF, and it was positive but so faint it was practically invisable. I immediately went out and bought another box of tests--positive! I didn't believe that one either so I took another. Then, of course I kept taking them over the course of the week to see if they were getting darker, hee hee. My DH refused to believe I was pregnant until we got the results of my beta test back; he actually stayed home with me the day of the blood test so he could be there when they called. Ahhhhh such nice memories.

Imperia

pritchettzoo
02-27-2004, 07:03 PM
None. It didn't help that my cycles were all screwy after a m/c and I went something like 60+ days between. I bought a bunch of Aimstick tests from http://www.babyhopes.com/pregnancytests.html#buy because they were the brand my doc's office used. It was better than feeling like I'd just peed on a $10 bill.

I hope you get good news soon!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

pamela mom of 3
02-27-2004, 07:38 PM
When we were trying for #1 i admit we did waste one, but i was one of the lucky people who when we really put forth an effort i got PG the first month of trying.

The 2nd time when we decided to start again, i also got PG the first month of trying, unfortunately that PG ended without a baby.

The 3rd time, we we're not trying we just let things be, you know if it happens it happens? and after being PG twice had a pretty good idea i was PG but due to it being somewhat of a surprise took a year btw from my MC, i did got through at least 2 due to doubt lol ;)

The 4th, although he has turned out to be a wonderful gift :D was a opposite thing, i did not want to try! I knew i was, i didn't need the test to confirm..he was a real shocker baby, we we're done ..DH insisted on a test lol...but again i knew.

Tests do get better tho, from what i have understood now their are some you can test even before you are "late"

But it's funny well at least for me i found as i had more pregnancies i "just knew"

Good luck! despite how fast they give results it feels like forever lol ;)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

alleyoop
02-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Guilty, Guilty!!
Like I tell DH, I just get a "need to pee" on something! We tried 10mo for this PG, and I spent more each month on PG tests than on the Rx for the pill!

brigmaman
02-28-2004, 10:33 PM
Congratulations Heather! Nate's avatar always reminds me of Brig!