PDA

View Full Version : OT-How much are you paying for gas?

mamahill
02-27-2004, 06:42 PM
It's been a while since I bought gas, I guess, because today I was shocked to see I was paying $2.05/gallon - at the CHEAP place. Usually we don't get up over $2 until late Spring. I shudder to think what I'll be paying once Summer hits. Anyway, I was just wondering what people were paying, and if you wouldn't mind stating the general area your cost is coming from. I'm in the SF Bay Area. I'm glad we got DH a gas-efficient car...

MelissaTC
02-27-2004, 06:56 PM
I saw gas in Raleigh cheaper but I recently paid $1.61. I am in Cary, in the Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill area of NC...

Edited to add that my car is not gas efficient at all!

sweetbasil
02-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Yuck- doesn't CA usually have higher gas prices than most states (except Hawaii!)? My memories of visiting my ILs when they lived in the LA area include high prices at the pump....

I filled up yesterday (here in Houston) for $1.59/gal. Hoping you find an incredibly low-priced station by the time you have to fill up next! ;)

mom2kandj
02-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Orange County, CA checking in at $2.15 at Costco! Near the airport, I saw gas going for $2.30 - 2.50 a gallon! YIKES!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

nathansmom
02-27-2004, 07:56 PM
$1.51 without a 15 cent coupon or $1.36 with. That's at the local kroger store.
We can get gas on the air force base and its $1.45 there. We live in Utah.

Tondi G
02-27-2004, 07:57 PM
YUP we're in Los Angeles and it is rediculous! We get screwed on everything in CA! Gas is sky high, housing prices are a joke, health insurance and car insurance premiums are crazy. I sware you gotta be making 200,000 to be able to own your own home here in the city and pray to god you have a job that includes health insurance!

If people in other states are paying 1.50/1.60 per gallon there is no reason we should be paying 2.00+!!!! UUGH!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

teddy
02-27-2004, 08:03 PM
If it makes the Californians feel better, I just noticed that silver gas (medium grade) at Amoco/BP was $2.09 here in Chicago. The blue gas (lowest grade) is usuallly about $.10 cheaper, and the gold gas (highest grade) is $.10 higher. The city or county (can't remember which) adds an additional pollution tax, so it's usually a few cents cheaper when you get out of Chicago and into the 'burbs.

papal
02-27-2004, 08:05 PM
How sad is this.. i have NO idea. Dh keeps the tanks full in both cars and i have not pumped my own gas even once in the last 3 years.
But i do go to Jiify Lube for the oil changes occasionally!!! oh.. oh.. and i do get the emmisions and safety tests done on both cars every year so don't judge me!!! :)

brubeck
02-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Sarah I got gas right next to my work in San Jose for $2.03. There's this 7-11 that always seems to be super cheap (even cheaper than Rotten Robbie). Of course that doesn't help you if you're not down in San Jose.....

The Valero chain also seems to be cheap. I have found good prices at the ones at Mowry and Blacow in Fremont and Jackson St. (near 880) in Hayward.

COElizabeth
02-27-2004, 08:46 PM
I'm in Colorado and just paid $1.47 today. That's outside Denver, though, and with the Safeway club card discount. Another reason for you to move here, Sarah!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

LD92599
02-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I just got gas today @ Hess...it was $1.79 for premium (both cars take premium!).

The bonus in NJ is that they pump it for us!

Laura
mom to William

DDowning
02-27-2004, 08:59 PM
My local Chevron/Mobil down the street from me were each sporting $2.43. I agree its nuts. But as it is I drive very little miles now that I stay home (my Quest that I bought back in October just hit 3,000 miles this week) so I fill up at most once a month. It makes it a bit easier to swallow.

momathome
02-27-2004, 10:13 PM
Yuck, it's $1.65 in the Philadelphia area - and that's the cheapest I have found. There are plenty of gas stations near charging $1.75 for regular unleaded fuel. I cringe every time I fill up!
-Lauren

s_gosney
02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Wow...it's never been over $2 here. That's crazy. I think right now it's about $1.39. I'm in OK BTW.

s_gosney
02-27-2004, 10:58 PM
Wow...it's never been over $2 here. That's crazy. I think right now it's about $1.39. I'm in OK BTW.

mommd
02-28-2004, 12:21 AM
$1.56 in Urbana, Illinois (about 2 hours south of Chicago).

mommd
02-28-2004, 12:21 AM
$1.56 in Urbana, Illinois (about 2 hours south of Chicago).

new_mommy25
02-28-2004, 12:44 AM
In Seattle it was 1.73 at Arco which is the CHEAP gas. At all the other gas stations it is about 1.89 and even higher.

new_mommy25
02-28-2004, 12:44 AM
In Seattle it was 1.73 at Arco which is the CHEAP gas. At all the other gas stations it is about 1.89 and even higher.

mharling
02-28-2004, 01:40 AM
$2 - $2.10 for premium. Suburban Chicago. I shudder every time I need to get gas; I'd rather not know how much it is!!

*Edited for typo.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

mharling
02-28-2004, 01:40 AM
$2 - $2.10 for premium. Suburban Chicago. I shudder every time I need to get gas; I'd rather not know how much it is!!

*Edited for typo.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 02:38 AM
Sarah, I found this on some website. I have a feeling it is very biased just based on some of the wording, but I know I've heard #1 before, about our gas being a specific formulation and that's why it's so expensive. Here it is:

"There are three main reasons behind the gasoline being more expensive in California (and the San Francisco Bay Area in particular):

1. The California Air Resources Board mandates that we use a formulation unique to the state, making it difficult for gasoline from outside the state to be sold here, keeping the supply tight and prices high.
2. The state and federal mandates to rip up all underground fuel storage tanks and replace them (even if they aren’t leaking!) at a cost of up to hundreds of thousands of dollars (when U.C. Berkeley scientists said it wasn’t necessary to remove any of them). This shut down 10,000 small independent gas stations in California, leaving the market in control of the big oil companies, who were then free to raise prices.
3. The federal mandate to include oxygenates (MTBE or ethanol) in gasoline. Both of these additives add cost to gasoline without providing any benefit to the environment—the stated goal of mandating them in the first place. This substance is known to be poisonous, does not significantly improve pollution, and is responsible for about 10 cents of the cost of gasoline in California. It doesn’t work and costs us more, so we must have it removed. Read more about the problems with MTBE."

EDITED to add: the site was www.pushback.com - never been on it before, just did a google search for gas prices in California! Can't vouch for the accuracy of the info there...

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 02:38 AM
Sarah, I found this on some website. I have a feeling it is very biased just based on some of the wording, but I know I've heard #1 before, about our gas being a specific formulation and that's why it's so expensive. Here it is:

"There are three main reasons behind the gasoline being more expensive in California (and the San Francisco Bay Area in particular):

1. The California Air Resources Board mandates that we use a formulation unique to the state, making it difficult for gasoline from outside the state to be sold here, keeping the supply tight and prices high.
2. The state and federal mandates to rip up all underground fuel storage tanks and replace them (even if they aren’t leaking!) at a cost of up to hundreds of thousands of dollars (when U.C. Berkeley scientists said it wasn’t necessary to remove any of them). This shut down 10,000 small independent gas stations in California, leaving the market in control of the big oil companies, who were then free to raise prices.
3. The federal mandate to include oxygenates (MTBE or ethanol) in gasoline. Both of these additives add cost to gasoline without providing any benefit to the environment—the stated goal of mandating them in the first place. This substance is known to be poisonous, does not significantly improve pollution, and is responsible for about 10 cents of the cost of gasoline in California. It doesn’t work and costs us more, so we must have it removed. Read more about the problems with MTBE."

EDITED to add: the site was www.pushback.com - never been on it before, just did a google search for gas prices in California! Can't vouch for the accuracy of the info there...

jubilee
02-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Here in Portland, Oregon we are paying $1.79 for regular unleaded fuel at the cheapest station (ARCO) but I should mention that in Oregon we don't pump our own gas- an attentant *must* do it for you.

jubilee
02-28-2004, 05:34 AM
Here in Portland, Oregon we are paying $1.79 for regular unleaded fuel at the cheapest station (ARCO) but I should mention that in Oregon we don't pump our own gas- an attentant *must* do it for you.

kfcboston
02-28-2004, 10:34 AM
OUCH, Californians! Seems to me Chicago is always high, but I guess I just didn't realize about CA. In Boston we're at about $1.65.

hez
02-28-2004, 12:05 PM
WOW! I knew it was higher out west (I'm in the Cincy area), but geez, that's high.

I usually buy gas on Tuesday/Wednesday to avoid the weekend price hikes, even if I'm not low. I paid $1.41 on Tuesday night, and it was up around $1.78 by Thursday. Low for me is a fill-up of 12 gallons, so that's a $4+ price difference on a tank, just for waiting two days...

Momof3Labs
02-28-2004, 05:04 PM
LOL, you gotta come north, Mary! I saw $1.87 for premium today ($1.67 for the cheapest stuff), although the stations a mile away in the higher traffic areas were $2.00-2.05 for premium.

tina-t
02-29-2004, 12:24 AM
In Sacramento county, $2.10 with the safeway discount. Ouch! Yeah, I miss NJ. Dh could not believe that only the attendants could pump the gas in to your car in NJ.

gour0
02-29-2004, 11:19 AM
Lol! I paid $1.48 yesterday at 5 and drove back by at 6 and it was $1.52. :)