PDA

View Full Version : When did you start tossing your baby in the air?

farsk
02-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Hello Everyone!

Just wondering when/if you started tossing your baby in the air! We toss Ellen (although I'm constantly worried that I will decapitate her with the ceiling fan!haha!) and she seems to get a kick out of it!

Thanks!

JLiebCamm
02-27-2004, 10:06 PM
I think around 7 months our DS really started laughing and enjoying this. He always seemed to have good head contol and strong neck muscles so it seemed safe.

DDowning
02-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Once he got pretty good control of his head/neck muscles I think i started doing it around 5 months.

I agree, he loves it!

DDowning
02-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Once he got pretty good control of his head/neck muscles I think i started doing it around 5 months.

I agree, he loves it!

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 02:57 AM
I don't remember, but I do know DH did it way before I would have even considered it!

deborah_r
02-28-2004, 02:57 AM
I don't remember, but I do know DH did it way before I would have even considered it!

gisele
02-28-2004, 04:28 AM
I recently went to a presentation about early infant brain development, and one of the things they talked about was that the infant brain is very soft, like the consistency of oatmeal (Adult brains, in comparison, are stiffer like firm Jell-o). This is why shaking the baby back and forth is so dangerous. They also commented that the tossing the baby in the air may not be such a good idea.

A lot of this research is very new; they have learned more about the infant brain in the last 8 years, that in all the previous years.

gisele
02-28-2004, 04:28 AM
I recently went to a presentation about early infant brain development, and one of the things they talked about was that the infant brain is very soft, like the consistency of oatmeal (Adult brains, in comparison, are stiffer like firm Jell-o). This is why shaking the baby back and forth is so dangerous. They also commented that the tossing the baby in the air may not be such a good idea.

A lot of this research is very new; they have learned more about the infant brain in the last 8 years, that in all the previous years.

farsk
02-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Gisele,

Thanks for the info! I never would have thought tossing was akin to shaking....but it makes sense> I will probably keep my tossing to mainimum!

Thanks again!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-28-2004, 11:41 AM
I've never done it and never will. It just scares me.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

flagger
02-28-2004, 03:30 PM
Probably from about the time she was eight weeks old. I have been holding her by her legs and swinging her between my legs and flipping her up and letting go and catching her when she is upright from about six months or so.

She squeals in absolute joy and delight.

DDowning
02-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Same here Flagger, DS just loves it! Especially when I catch him and swoop down then back up.

Melanie
02-28-2004, 04:36 PM
I didn't.

flagger
02-28-2004, 07:26 PM
We are about to start rug diving. Have her standing on my shoulders and hold her by her legs and have her dive off and swing her by her legs between my legs.

If I am holding her below the knee and she is against my tummy, she will lean back and sort of fall back towards the ground. She also loves to be swing three times and then come down PLOP onto the bed or couch. You just got to be careful there is not a dog around when doing that.

new_mommy25
02-28-2004, 08:01 PM
I don't toss him at all but we do "Noah bench presses" which always emit plenty of giggles.

jerseygirl
02-29-2004, 02:05 AM
We don't toss her in the air bc of the whole shaken baby thing, but we do lift her up as high as our arms reach multiple times. She seems to like it and we get a decent workout too!

Maritess