PDA

View Full Version : OT - Those of you with new kitchens

Marisa6826
02-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Did you mix and match your cabinet handles - pulls and knobs or use just one type throughout?

I was going to do all pulls (the kind you stick your hand through - or tuck a dishrag into), but now I'm wondering if I should also do knobs on the doors.

My last kitchen had only knobs, but I want something a little more country French. I found great antique brass pulls that have matching knobs. I just need to make the decision.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

-m

mharling
02-29-2004, 11:50 PM
We only used knobs. We didn't even really talk about it that much and happened to find knobs we liked right away. No words of advice from me; sorry!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

em_jon98
03-01-2004, 12:15 AM
We have knobs on the doors and pulls on the drawers. I like the mix and match in our kitchen, but I know plenty of people who just used knobs on both cabinets and drawers. The knobs are MUCH easier to center, if you put them on yourselves. DH is not handy, so a few of the drawer pulls in our kitchen are visibly off center.

I think it's a personal choice. If you like both the knobs and the matching pulls, than use both. If you feel more drawn to one than the other, than use the one you like better.

I guess I wasn't much help after all :(. Sorry!

August Mom
03-01-2004, 01:41 AM
We have all pulls in our kitchen and I like the look. Of course if you want to change later on, you'll have to go with pulls again because you have 2 holes drilled. With knobs on the cabinet doors, you can go to pulls later (although with the drawers, you'll be stuck with knobs if you start out that way).

Here are a couple of kid-related things to think about. If you have two doors next to each other you can use exterior door locks that connect the handles together to baby proof. This method works much better with handles than with knobs. With the knobs (which we have in the bathroom), we can't get them tight enough so that DS can't lift them off. He cannot get into the kitchen cabinets. Of course this is irrelevant if you want to put Tot Locks or other safety latches drilled into the cabinets (but we couldn't bring ourselves to drill into the new cabinets). On the other hand, the pulls on drawers look like a little ladder to DS. He hasn't actually climbed up the drawers yet, but he's thought about it and put one foot on the lowest drawer handle. And, actually, I used to climb up drawer handles on the file drawers at my parents' office, so I know this can be done. Just something to think about.

JenCA
03-01-2004, 02:44 AM
We also have knobs on doors and pulls on drawers. We wanted a bit of variety and really like the look.

jamsmu
03-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the advice on the safety issue. We deco'd our cabinets the same as you and I haven't opened the wrapping around the safety loops for the bathroom... sounds like they won't fit!

caleymama
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Our kitchen is not new (but hopefully will be at some point, which is why I opened this thread!), but we do currently have all pulls. Something I never thought about until just now. I like having all pulls and don't miss knobs a bit (we just bought this house this past summer). We don't have any low drawers (just the ones right below counter level) so no climbing issues.