PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with RIE?

mama2g03
03-01-2004, 12:32 AM
Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the RIE - Resources for Infant Educarers - philosophy? I recently started a class offered at a local college with my four month old ds and haven't completely made up my mind about it yet. Actually, it seems like - and this is with most parenting philosophies for me - learning about different parenting methods is good, but I don't have to subscribe to everything about that method. Just kind of sort through the ideas, apply common sense and incorporate the positive without feeling like a slave to a particular philosophy. One of the founders of the method is Magda Gerber who has published several books. I have heard good things about them, but have not had a chance to read any yet. Any opinions?

Stacey
Mama to Greyson 10/10/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-01-2004, 06:57 AM
I have a library of dusty books lent to me by several moms...and these are really the only books that I have enjoyed flipping thru. Chck the archives and search RIE I think we have two thread on it...
I think it was HEVA who started the thread (and I think there were two). But if I had the chance to take an RIE class I would do it in a heart beat BUT that is me, I enjoyed this philosophy of parenting very much and find that I am naturally geared to parent that way even without the education....
Please keep us posted...how did you find out about it I'd love to hear, maybe my local schools have such a class.
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

mama2g03
03-01-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info. I found one of the threads and read through it. I definitely think it's never too early to encourage independence. Not that they won't have periods of separation anxiety or neediness anyway, after all they are babies, but it certainly can't hurt to create a foundation.
I will definitely read the books by Gerber. In class we really only observe and discuss what we see the children do. Then occasionally the instructor will point out when a parent is not doing something right, but not have explained it up front. I think it makes us all nervous about doing the wrong thing and getting picked on when we're not totally clear on the expectations. I guess you just can't be sensitive since it is a learning experience. I just think it would help to have a bit more background on the whole concept - I guess that's where independent reading comes in. I still feel it's very worthwhile to attend - especially since it's free. And, it has been very interesting to see the interaction between all the children and to hear what we parents have learned already by observing them.
I found out about this class through a local newspaper article - I live in central Massachusetts. Looking through my class notes I found a website http://rie.org that has a message board - maybe you could post there to see if there are any classes near you?

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Stacey,
I know if I attended a class where they tell me what I'm doing wrong I'd be "wrong" a lot :)...
Many of the things in the book I do "wrong" but all in all the back bone of the concept is just automatically the way I parent. Keep us posted I'd love to hear more as you go thru the class...

Thank you!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

amyff
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
I started reading a couple RIE based books when DD was going through a very difficult phase (basically would not let me put her down) and I was worried about seperation anxiety. I wish I had read them before DD was born because I really like some of the infant theories. I do love the book "1,2,3...the Toddler Years" by Irene Van der Zande (Gerber writes the forward). It is very easy to read and I just keep it on my bedside table as a reference. On days that are really "difficult" and I start doubting my skills as a parent... I just reread a couple chapters and I am reminded that we are doing just fine. It has really made me think about the language I use with DD and I think the ideas are very practical (not that I use them all :) please see Flagger's post as proof of this!).

mama2g03
03-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks, I'll check that book out, too. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that others don't follow the theories word for word either. I figure if you have to become a slave to something it's probably not going to work out. Always looking to learn something new, though.