PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question: Mascara ~ are exp brands vs cheap brands

JulieL
03-01-2004, 04:06 PM
So I always bought stuff from Target or a little better quality, MK. But I was wondering is $20 a pop really worth it from Estte Lauder and those other expensive brands?

farsk
03-01-2004, 04:27 PM
Julie,

I have done the mascara rounds......Lancome, Clinique, Aveda, Estt Lauder..blah, blah, blah!

What I found to be the best and will continue to buy forever....Cover Girl Great Lash!

Good Luck!

HoneymoonBaby
03-01-2004, 06:20 PM
NO, NO, NO!!!!

Take it from me -- a sucker who will GLADLY pay $100 for face cream, $50 for foundation, etc. as long as it works well. STICK TO THE CHEAP MASCARA. It's not that it's any better than the pricey stuff -- but the pricey stuff isn't any better than the cheap stuff, either! Great Lash is awful, though, IMO. Heavy and clumpy. I used to use Maybelline Lash by Lash, but they discontinued it and now I use Lash Discovery.

Oh, the other bad thing about pricey mascara -- there's no way you can use the whole $20 tube before 3 months is up and you have to toss it anyway. Such a waste of $$$$.

There is ONE that is worth the cost, and that's Christian Dior Long Optic. It's $34. Sometimes I'll buy it for very special occasions and then enjoy the treat for the next three months. But for an all-the-time thing? No way!

Momof3Labs
03-01-2004, 06:22 PM
I swear by Avon wash-off waterproof mascara, for about $6/tube. I love it because it isn't at all clumpy and stays on fairly well.

MelissaTC
03-01-2004, 06:28 PM
I have very long, dark, full lashes so I do not use it on an every day basis. However, for those special times, I will only use the Lancome mascra. OMG! It is so awesome! And it is amazing how cool my lashes look after using it. I have tried almost everything and will only use this... jmho...

lukkykatt
03-01-2004, 06:30 PM
It's true. My favorite mascara is Maybelline Great Lash. Mascara is definitely one place to save money.

Marisa6826
03-01-2004, 07:15 PM
I love my Aveda mascara.

I tried the pink/green mabelline one since all the magazines swear by it.

I have a HORRIBLE allergy to it.

So Aveda for me!

Also, FWIW, Almay is really good too.

-m

hwin708
03-01-2004, 11:23 PM
The drugstore stuff is just as good. Infact, I generally prefer it, because they have SO many different types, and I love to experiment with my makeup.
My everyday mascara is pretty expensive, though. I use Kiss Me mascara, that I get at a funky little makeup store (like a little Sephora). I love this stuff because it does not ever budge. Literally, if I don't scrub my eyes clean, it could stay on for a week. It forms little tubes around your lashes, so to get it off, you literally pull the tubes off. It's pretty understated too, as in not dramatically lengthening or thickening, making it very appropriate for everyday use.

parkersmama
03-01-2004, 11:45 PM
I feel like I've tried them all, too. Every time I end up coming back to Lacome Definicils. It just works the best for me. All the others either clump (OMG that drives me *nuts*!) or my eyes seem sensitive to it. I'm using a new one by Clinique right now. I had received a sample of it from www.gloss.com and really liked it. So I bought a regular tube when the sample ran out. Big mistake. It is so clumpy that I have to wipe the brush with a tissue every other day or so to get rid of some of it! So, I guess for Mascara, I'm a Lancome gal. :)

JMarie
03-01-2004, 11:57 PM
I use Maybelline Full & Soft - both waterproof and non - and have always had great results. The more expensive ones always seem to clump and get nasty well before the three-month mark.

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

kathsmom
03-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Julie,

I am right there with Denise! LOVE,LOVE,LOVE the Lancome Definicils mascara. I have tried a few of the drugstore brands and the best one I tried was Maybelline's Full and Soft. I have tried a mascara by Clinique and it was only OK. I can't always afford the Lancome mascara, but when I can, I buy it!

You can always go to CVS pharmacy and try out different brands. They have a money back guarantee on makeup items. I don't know what drug stores are in your area, but you might want to check them out, because a lot of them have the money back guarantee on makeup items.

Good luck!

JulieL
03-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Thanks for answering my silly question. Looks like I'm doing ok saving my money. DH thanks all of you too!;-)

memedee
03-02-2004, 11:18 AM
I spend gobs of money on Chanel and Sisley however I always buy L'Oreal Mascara.It is made by Lancome and I think the Fabulash is just as good as the Lancome and it is seven dollars.