PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled for induction tomorrow... I really need your advices.

anutalp
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM
I hope I'm posting in the right topic.
I'm 41 weeks today and my OB scheduled me for induction tomorrow. I have to be in the hospital at 7am. And then they going to start Pitocin...
Is it normal to be so nervous? I'm so scared, can't think about anything else. What will be your advice for tomorrow? Some last tips?
Me and DH going to take some VCRs for the hospital stay. Something else, what would you recommend?
Please share your induction experience. How can I calm myself?
When do you recommend the epidural? My OB told me I can ask whenever I want. What's your opinion?
Any help and advices will be appreciated.
Ana.

shishamo
03-01-2004, 08:19 PM
Dear Ana,

I think it's totally normal to be nervous, you have never done this before! I don't know if this would make you feel better, but I was scheduled to be induced 2 weeks before my due date for my 2nd child AND I FREAKED OUT the night before and didn't show up at the hospital (blush: I just couldn't). The doctor was rolling eyes at me :)

Okay, so I did every folk remedy known to men to bring on labor and nothing worked. well, so I ended up being induced the day after my due date, and I do remember I was nervous (on the other hand, I was happy to be DONE with pregnancy I was so sick of being huge at that point). Truthfully, it's really not that bad AT ALL especially if you get the epidural. I had a 9 lbs baby, and I am 5'2" and very petite. And I have a very low pain threshold. Just try to remember that you are there to meet your baby tomorrow!

My only tip for tonight would be that try to relax, have some tea, you won't get much sleep for a while so enjoy the non-interrupted sleep!
Good luck!

farsk
03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Ana,

Deep cleansing breaths...that's better.

I was induced just seven short months ago! I'm so excited that you get to meet your little one soon! I know EXACTLY how you feel. I went in for a routine visit, though my OB said to bring my bags just in case. DH and I discussed it, and we decided he shouldn't come with me to the appt. because there was "no way" she would keep me for the induction (I was 39 1/2 weeks). Anyway, she did, and I called my DH crying telling him to leave work right then and come.

My drip started around 6 a.m. When contractions started getting "noticeable", I asked for Stadol, which made me very groggy. Then, after considerably more "noticeable" contractions, my epidural came...yay!...my favorite people!

It is completely normal to be nervous! You will do great! I would love to have had one last night at home as a couple...do what makes you happy...go out for a nice dinner....watch a movie. These are things I miss!

Anyway, I loved my epi, but have since learned that drugs during labor can have an effect on the baby and her ability to nurse after birth (Ellen had a real knack for it...still nursing at seven months!yay!) I'm hoping more people will give you good info on the epi and others.

I remember thinking I would watch Days of our Lives during Labor...didn't happen. I don't remember much of anything until it came time to push. So I don't know how helpful videos will be for you, but they may be great for your DH.

Lots of us have been there and are right behind you! You will be great and at the end of the day (hopefully!) you will have a beautiful baby!

Good Luck and keep us posted!

hez
03-01-2004, 08:20 PM
From someone who was induced at 41 weeks (we did the midnight induction thing), all I can say is YES, you have every right to be nervous-- you've never done this before!

Eat something good and filling tonight, if you can. I couldn't eat well that night due to nerves, and all that labor & no eats, I was darn hungry when I was cleared to eat. Have someone give you a foot massage-- or any of the massage you might have been taught in a birthing class.

Take a good long hot shower before you go so you feel fresh before you get started-- maybe put one some waterproof mascara so your eyes look great in the pictures after the baby gets here!

But remember that sometime in the next day or so you're going to have a new baby :) Makes all the nerves and waiting and wondering *so* worth it.

As far as calming myself during the induction-- take things with you that relax you. I had CD's of classical music, CD's of music I could really sing to (for alternate moods!), a book to read, crossword puzzle books, and my mom & a girl friend to talk to so DH didn't have to be my only conversation. I also had lollipops with me to sneak when the nurses weren't looking :)

You'll get a whole range of epidural answers here. I personally chose to get one after 16 hours, and it was the right choice for me. Only you get to make the choice for you.

Ask the nurses LOTS of questions. I found I did better when I had all the information I could from them throughout the entire process. They've seen it all!

I could go on and on-- wishing you a quick delivery and healthy baby!

Jeanmick
03-01-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi Ana,

I've got no induction advice (with my first, my water broke, and w/ my second, I started having contractions the day before) but it's totally normal to be nervous! You'll be in good hands I'm sure and your DH will be such a support to you. Do make sure that you share with your OB, nurses or any other support people you have whatever it is you need (i.e., ice chips, changing of positions, an increase of the epidural). Don't be shy about asking or needing anything or feel that you don't want to put anyone out of their way...that's their job! :)

I brought CD's of my favorite music. I also brought videos, but I didn't really watch any. If your delivery room has a stereo, you may want to listen to your favorite, calming music. I did and it helped me.

My doctors told me that I could have the epidural after I dilated to 5 cm, but it your OB said you can ask whenever you want, do it when you feel you need it. It's a personal choice...some women have a higher threshold than others.

A big hug from me to you and best of luck...let us know how it goes!

Jacksonvol
03-01-2004, 08:40 PM
Ana,

I am so excited for you! I don't have any induction advice, but I will share my epi experience. I was convinced I would do this without drugs. On our 1 hour drive to the hospital, I decided to go with the epidural. I had a great epi! For me, it helped me really enjoy the birth experience. (I did not have to wait a long time between when it was started and when she was born. So, I was not stuck in bed that long.) Anyway, as a first time mom I was really nervous about the birth thing. I wondered if I would know what contractions felt like. (I did not. I woke up thinking I had cramps from something I ate the night before.) I wondered about everything! Trust your OB & nurses. They do this everyday. They can and will help you. Take the movies that make you smile, take the music you listen to on long trips, take a book. I found that once I got started, I really lost track of the time during the labor. Hang in there! By this time tomorrow, you will have your baby!! (After the delivery remember to ask for your pain meds and ice packs as often as you can. Don't wait to let the pain begin before you do this.)
Lisa

anutalp
03-01-2004, 08:43 PM
Thank you so much for your kind replies. You're so helpful and supportive.
I hope I will be fine tomorrow, I'll surely update you.
BTW - I'm taking my laptop with me, maybe this will calm me as well:)
I already told the nurses that it's really bad that they don't have a wireless connection in the hospital :)
Ana.

Raidra
03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
I have to second the idea of getting as much sleep as possible. I was induced after spending the night in the hospital, so I had no sleep for 24 hours before they started the pitocin. :)

It honestly wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be.. I thought the induced-contractions would be horrible, but I kept my cool until I got an epidural, at 3 cm. My doctor said I could have one pretty much whenever I wanted, because they didn't have to worry about labor stalling since I was already on pitocin.

The epidural was great, and it really helped me dilate faster. It took from 8am until 2pm to get to 3cm, then I dilated really fast and the baby was born two and a half hours after the epidural.

Hope that helps! Good luck.. it's an amazing experience!

JenCA
03-01-2004, 09:21 PM
I was induced at 41w3d, and I can remember feeling nervous the night before. I think that more than anything, I was just really ready to meet my daughter! :) I was given a single dose of misoprostin and never needed pitocin, as I dilated from 1cm to 10cm on the miso alone. I had my epidural when I was around 3cm--and it was wonderful! I was so relaxed and never knew I was having a contraction until my DH would point it out to me on the monitor. I ended up having some complications that required my daughter to be born vacuum assisted, but other than that, my induction experience was a relatively smooth. Best wishes to you! :)

JElaineB
03-01-2004, 10:03 PM
Congratulations and good luck! I had an induction at 39w5d, lasted over 40 hours before I ended up with a c-section. Prepare yourself for that possibility, though I am crossing my fingers that the pitocin will work for you! The induction itself wasn't that bad really (looking back!), but I was very nervous too. If it takes a while, sleep as much as you can! I was up all night two nights in a row worrying about various things or just not being able to sleep. Let your DH and the nurses take care of you, if you need something, ask. If you want to know what is going on, ask. You may or may not be monitored constantly, which can be a pain. I did have an epidural about 30 hours into the induction. I didn't necessarily want one, but if I had known it would have made me feel so much better I probably would have had it a lot sooner! I'm sure everyone's experience is different but just remember you will have a little bundle of joy waiting for you at the end of it!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

wendmatt
03-01-2004, 10:11 PM
How exciting for you. It's totally normal to be nervous as you don't really know what to expect. I was induced at 42weeks....she did not want to come out! The wierdest thing for me was when they broke my waters....it feels like you are peeing yourself constantly, I didn't expect that (sorry if that's gross!). I had planned to do it all naturally but the pitocin makes the contractions strong and you are hooked up to a drip and can't move around so I had the epidural after about 5 hrs (maybe 4)......What a godsend! I was able to get some sleep and rest before the pushing started. They turned it off for the pushing. DD was 9lbs and got a bit stuck so it finished up with forceps, but all was fine.
Don't feel bad about asking for the epidural, if you need it that's what it's there for, if you don't need it, great, but DON'T feel bad if you take it.
Have a good meal if you can eat, it's a long time to go without food. Good idea about the vcrs as it does get a bit boring waiting.
Good luck to you....soon you'll have a wonderful baby. Oh yes, Emily had no probs with the bf'ing, took to it straight away.

missym
03-01-2004, 10:54 PM
I hope you're not reading this reply because you're getting some rest! :) But just in case...

I was induced, and the pitocin really didn't do much until the doctor broke my water. Looking back, I would have asked to have that done first, then pitocin if needed. (Maybe there's a medical reason not to do that, I don't know.)

As for the epidural, if you're like me, at first the contractions will be manageable and you'll think, ok, maybe I don't need one. Ask for the epi as soon as you start to change your mind (if you do), because it can take the anesthesiologist a while to get there. I waited a bit long to ask for it and was pretty unhappy by the time he showed up. ;)

Good luck tomorrow. Now the fun really begins!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

jubilee
03-02-2004, 12:14 AM
Hopefully you are getting some sleep, but in case you check this out before you go to the hospital, I will share a little:

I was induced, and wasn't sure I wanted the epidural so I had it placed when I was still comfortable at 4 cm... but I didn't have them turn it on. After the doctor broke my water I went from 4-7 cm really quick, so then I said turn the epidural on!! It was good having it placed when the pain was minor rather than waiting until I really needed the relief.

Happy baby day, :)

papal
03-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Ana.. if you are still reading this then.. GO TO BED GIRL!!! Get lots of rest and all the very best for tmmrw. I am so excited for you!!!! You get to meet your baby. Wow.. it will be such a special day.
Keep us updated! Sending safe and painless delivery vibes your way!

jenmcadams
03-02-2004, 02:39 PM
Good luck to you! You'll do great!

I was induced at a little over 41 weeks and it wasn't too bad. The worst part for me was not being able to move around much b/c I was required to have a lot of monitoring stuff b/c they were worried about fetal distress. I did end up getting the epidural at about 5-6 cm and I was able to progress to 9 cm within 24 hours of total labor. Unfortunately I ended up with a C-Section (b/c my cervix started to swell and Abbie was stuck). At that point I was glad I had had the epi b/c the transition to the C-Section was pretty uneventful and easy.

Hopefully you're sleeping and eating a big yummy meal (I was so hungry during labor that I kept begging for more popsicles...the only thing they would let me eat).

Good luck tomorrow!

amp
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
No induction advice, but I did end up having a very late scheduled c-section that I didn't plan on. I had about 3 days to worry and I was terrified! It all turned out fine, and the hospital staff was so incredibly supportive when I made it clear how scared I was. They were the best! Anyway, it's totally normal to be scared! But you'll do fine and in the end, you'll have a wonderful baby to hold in your arms! Hope it all goes smoothly and your labor is as easy as possible! Congrats! Let us know the good news as soon as you get resettled! We'll look forward to hearing your update!