PDA

View Full Version : Talk about motherly instinct!

JElaineB
03-02-2004, 01:09 AM
I don't usually cut and paste news stories, but this one just blew me away! Got it off AOL, otherwise I would post a link.

----
Girl Thought to Have Died Found Alive

By JOANN LOVIGLIO
.c The Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - A 10-day-old girl thought to have died in a 1997 fire was actually kidnapped by a woman who set the blaze to cover her tracks, police said Monday. The biological mother contacted authorities after seeing the now 6-year-old at a birthday party and recognizing the child as her own.

Delimar Vera was thought to have perished in the 1997 blaze in her family's home, consumed by the heat and flames of a fast-moving fire blamed on an extension cord for a space heater. No body was ever found.

In January, the child's mother spotted a little girl at a birthday party and was certain she was her daughter, police Capt. John Darby said. A subsequent investigation prompted DNA tests that confirmed the mother's suspicion, police said.

After the DNA confirmation, the child's mother ``didn't know whether to cry, to yell or to scream,'' Officer Manuel Gonzales said. ``She just stood in shock. She was just in total shock.''

Police have issued a warrant for the arrest of Carolyn Correa, 41, of Willingboro, N.J., on charges of arson, kidnapping and conspiracy. She remained at large Monday; a telephone listing for her could not be found.

``This child, now 6 years old, who has been raised by Carolyn Correa as her own, is not her own,'' Darby said.

The girl's mother, Luz Cuevas, told WPHL-TV she recognized the child from a dimple on her face. ``I said to my sister, `Look, she's my daughter,''' Cuevas said.

It was unclear what brought the child and her biological mother to the same party. State Rep. Angel Cruz, who helped the woman contact and work with police after she spotted the little girl, credited ``motherly instinct'' for connecting mother and child.

Ever since the blaze, the mother held on to the belief her child was somehow alive - partly because it didn't make sense a window in the infant's room was found to have been open even though it was the middle of December, Cruz said.

The little girl was placed in the custody of New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services. It was not immediately clear when she would be reunited with her biological mother.

03/01/04 23:14 EST

---

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

deborah_r
03-02-2004, 01:48 AM
Holy crap! That is crazy!!!! There's definitely a TV movie coming out of this one.

khakismom
03-02-2004, 02:13 AM
WOW! What an amazing story!!! Just unreal!

jubilee
03-02-2004, 02:14 AM
The baby was 10 days old when this happened?? Wow, what an amazing mom that she would recognize that child as hers.

Melanie
03-02-2004, 04:24 AM
What a true miracle (and the reason Ds' window is alarmed!)

brigmaman
03-02-2004, 08:36 AM
Wow! That story is unreal!

momathome
03-02-2004, 10:02 AM
I was going to post this myself, as it is a local story to me - I saw this on the news last night and it just blew me away! I can't even imagine what the parents are going through. What extremes that woman went to to conceal what she did - it's so awful! I just hope they catch her soon and that that poor little girl can be reunited with her family without too much trauma.
-Lauren