PDA

View Full Version : Seeking recommendations for book-club book (a high-brow mystery?)

kristine_elen
03-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Our book club plans to read a suspense/mystery novel some time this summer and I'm supposed to come up with some titles to choose from. We're hoping to find one that is more of a good novel with an element of suspense/mystery to it, vs. something written by a best-selling "Mystery Writer." (Most people in the group have already read the Da Vinci Code, so that's out.)
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Hallie_D
03-02-2004, 01:47 PM
I read City of Light by Lauren Belfer last year and really enjoyed it. It is a good novel with a mystery to it, rather than a "straight-up" mystery. It takes place in 1901 in Buffalo just as the Pan-American Exposition is about to start. Interesting historical stuff about Niagra Falls, strong female narrator, and a great story.

I'm a huge mystery fan but haven't been reading as much since DS was born.

HTH,

caleymama
03-02-2004, 01:49 PM
City of Light was good ... I've got it sitting on the shelf a few feet away. I read it a couple of years ago and haven't thought about it much since but it does fit your criteria. DD is waking up, so I'll have to come back with some other ideas.

MinnieMouse
03-02-2004, 03:30 PM
I really like the stuff by Neal Stephenson. His first books are considered Cyberpunk but his two recent ones step out of that genre almost entirely.

The one that made me think of him for your book club is Cryptonomicon... it took me the entire book to learn how to pronounce the name w/o tripping my tongue over it! :-)

Here is the link on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060512806/qid=1078253622//ref=pd_ka_1/103-3017149-8512607?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

It is really an amazing book but VERY long. I loved how it juxtaposed WWII encryption (breaking enemy codes) with present day encryption issues (computer security). There was some mathematical and technical computer info that I couldn't digest well but dealing w/ it was well worth the story.

Another book, upon reflection while I was looking the above up is Stephenson's first book Snowcrash.

Here is the link...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0553380958/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-3017149-8512607?v=glance&s=books&st=*

I LOVED this book, it's probably my very favorite of all time. Stephenson layers multiple subplots all on top of each other and somehow they all connect in the end! The main character's name is Hiro Protagonist!! Stephenson looks how our society could look in the not so distant future, explores a "virus" that is passed computer to computer and renders computer hackers catatonic in hospitals and somehow looks at the history of communication all at the same time. It's a great book and the "mystery" is the virus, where it's coming from and how to "cure" it.

Both of these are not typical "who done its" and very enjoyable reads. Snowcrash would probably be more appealing to a wider audience, but Cryptonomicon is excellent as well.

Stephenson has a new book out in hardcover...haven't read it yet... called Quicksilver which seems to be a prequel to Cryptonomicon by about 200+ years. Link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0380977427/ref=pd_sim_books_1/103-3017149-8512607?v=glance&s=books

Enjoy!

Christine

divabell
03-02-2004, 03:50 PM
The Secret History by Donna Tartt seems to fit your description--it's a murder mystery set at a college. A bit unusual but well written. I also liked the trilogy by Robertson Davies that includes The Lyre of Orpheus--not quite as much in the suspense genre but very interesting if you are into literature and music or like stories set in the world of academia.

Jen in Chicago
03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
We enjoyed Angels and Demons- by the same author as the Da Vinci Code.

Two of the best bookclub discussions have been with "The Pact" by Jodi Piccolt and "Nickeled and Dimed"- forget the author. They are not necessarily mysteries, but GREAT discussion books.

caleymama
03-02-2004, 04:03 PM
I was just browsing my shelves to come up with some other suggestions and was going to mention The Secret History. I couldn't get into it and didn't finish it, but based on what I've heard about it that seems to be unusual. I think it definitely fits what you are looking for. I'll have to think some more - I'm terrible at remembering the books I've read. I really need to start keeping a list!

jbowman
03-02-2004, 05:22 PM
Another vote for The Secret History! Anytime someone asks me for a book suggestion, I usually suggest this *modern classic*--it's great!

MinnieMouse
03-02-2004, 05:50 PM
OOOO I just remembered another one...

Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card

link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312850581/qid=1078262665//ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-3017149-8512607?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

This is a riviting book and so prime for a book club discussion. There are all sorts of moral dilemmas in it, what ifs and major decisions.

Basically it takes place in the distant future and the ability to travel back in time and observe is commonplace...to the point that they return at different points in history to rewrite everything EXACTLY the way it happened (history is always written by the winners). At some point they discover that all of Western Civilization is headed to ruin and it was all Christopher Columbus' fault. Very cool concept, with all kinds of twists and turns.

Orson Scott Card is another of my fav authors.

HTH

Christine

Jacksonvol
03-02-2004, 06:09 PM
I liked "Carter beats the Devil."

sntm
03-02-2004, 06:24 PM
The Club Dumas -- truly excellent read. I've read several others by the author also -- The Flanders Panel, can't remember what else.

I just started Angels and Demons and it is similar, but so far, not as well written.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

JLiebCamm
03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Another vote for the Secret History, though I didn't find it to be as much of a page turner as the typical mystery and tok a while to get through it. But it does seem to fit your criteria.

kristine_elen
03-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the recommendations! (More always welcome.) I need to submit to book group this Monday.

jbowman
03-26-2004, 10:05 PM
I really liked the Flanders Panel. You also might look at books by PD James!

August Mom
03-27-2004, 01:23 AM
My book club is reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. http://tinyurl.com/3xk34 It has a mystery element. It's told from the perspective of a 15 year-old autistic boy.

Another possibility is The Intelligencer by Leslie Silbert, a mystery surrounding the death of Christopher Marlowe. http://tinyurl.com/2goe6

caleymama
03-27-2004, 09:04 PM
One more to add:
Smilla's Sense of Snow, by Peter Hoeg

I read it several years ago and really enjoyed it. I know there's been a movie made of it since then, but I have not seen it. The book is suspense/thriller, but I think it fits your high brow criteria quite well. The New Yorker says (on the back cover of the book), "A book of profound intelligence ...in the league of Melville or Conrad. Hoeg writes prose that is as bitter, changeable, and deep-fathomed as poetry...[it] demands to be read aloud and savored."

drsweetie
03-28-2004, 01:04 PM
I really liked "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". It's a strange mystery in that it doesn't really have the typical mystery resolution, but the narrator's voice is so intriguing that it keeps you turning the pages.

An oldie but a goodie (sort of) is "The Alienist" by Caleb Carr. The people I know who've read it either love it or hate it, so YMMV, but it's got a lot of historical details in it (for example, Teddy Roosevelt is a character).