PDA

View Full Version : Completely OT! Shampoo for fine, thin hair...

amp
03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
Okay, I know this is in the realm of completely not baby related, but who else am I gonna ask but my girls?!

I pretty much have fine, thin hair. Most recently have been using Amplify shampoo & conditioner, and I love them! But money is so tight I'm wondering if spending $10 each on hair products isn't a bit much.

So here's the question....do any of you use a "regular brand" volumizing shampoo or conditioner? I don't want to (read: can't) hear about the salon brands. I already like the one I have but don't want to spend the money. I just want regular brands I can get from the groc. store/Target, etc. I spent 10 min in front of this aisle in Target Sunday and couldn't pick something to save my life!

Any suggestions?

caleymama
03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Well, as someone who is constantly on a search for the *perfect* shampoo and conditioner, I can't help you too much. I have seen a Suave knockoff of both the Amplify shampoo and conditioner. (There are also knockoffs of some Paul Mitchell, Nexxus, and Biolage products in similar packaging.) I have used and liked the Pantene volumizing shampoo and conditioner (purple lettering ... can't think of the name). My Mom has fine, thin hair (finer and thinner than mine) and really likes Aussie Mega shampoo.

My only other comment is that if I found a more expensive product I liked and stuck with it, I would probably save myself money in the long run over trying less expensive products and not liking them. If shampoo/conditioner is $3-$4 dollars a bottle, for example, you could easily spend the $20 you were trying not to spend on Amplify just trying to find a cheaper replacement. KWIM?

houseof3boys
03-02-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm in the same boat with thin hair! I use Amplify and have tried everything. :0 What I find more important is a good volumizer though. I use Modern Organic Products volumizing spray (I've tried loads of volumizers too) and that makes a big difference in how much body my hair has even if I don't use the amplify shampoo. I color my hair now (instead of highlights) and use the coloring shampoo and conditioner that gives you a little bit of color brightening so I don't always use the matrix shampoo. I always use the bodifying spray though!!! I also use velcro rollers for a few minutes when my hair is almost dry and that gives me some body too. I spend very little time on my hair and those few minutes with the rollers really add a little something.

Even though $10 seems like a lot for hair stuff, if it works I think it is a good indulgence since you don't really need that much anyway! If I had to choose, I would spend the money on a volumizer and then use Pantene shamp/conditioner for fine hair when it goes on sale and you have a coupon (since it seems like a monthly occurrence).

JElaineB
03-02-2004, 05:31 PM
I have majorly fine and thin hair too. I used to use Redken salon products and had to give them up....sigh. I have been using the Pantene volumnizing shampoo and conditioner (purple lettering) and have been satisfied with them. Actually I have stopped using my salon brand thickening lotion also and I find I don't really need it with the Pantene. I only use a little hairspray. I don't think it is the perfect shampoo and conditioner, but I can live with it!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

sbjf
03-02-2004, 05:35 PM
I have fine, thinnish hair myself and I've used Sauve for years and love it. I can't believe that it's the cheapest bottle on the shelf, too!

I like Sauve's Daily Clarifying Lotion (it's a shampoo) and the coordinating conditioner. I also do fine with just their regular shampoo and conditioners. I like the lavender and fresia scents as well as just the plain clarifying ones.

Here's a pic of me and my shiny hair, compliments of Sauve!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/2966.jpg

TaChapm2
03-02-2004, 05:45 PM
Suave has an amplifying line that is just the same as the salon brand Amplify. I used to use the salon brand before I was married, but Dh won't let me pay that for shampoo so I switched to suave and it works just the same. It is a part of their professional line. Average cost is $1.25 per bottle and it is the same (look, smell, and results)! I also used the Root Lifter but again Dh threw a fit so now I use Aussie volume spray. Works even better!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

lukkykatt
03-02-2004, 06:20 PM
I know you said that you don't want to read about salon brands, BUT I just thought I would mention that I get Nexxus Diametress shampoo and the Amplify shampoo and conditioners at BJ's. They are in larger size bottles and last me forever. If you have a BJ's membership, it is well worth checking out.

Also, when I go to my father's house, his wife has the Herbal Essence clarifying shampoo, and that works really well - not sure if you would want to use that everyday though.

amp
03-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately, no BJ's here. :(

amp
03-02-2004, 06:54 PM
Tara - Thanks! Saw the Suave version (and also the commericials). Love Suave shower gel, hand lotion, etc, so considered trying it, but figured, for that price, it can't be the same! I guess if you think it's totally the same, that's all I need to hear to try it! Thanks!

amp
03-02-2004, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone!

tina-t
03-03-2004, 06:27 PM
I also have fine thin hair and have used Pantene volumizing shampoo and conditioner for years. It works great for me.