PDA

View Full Version : best web sites to process digital photos

Xariklia
03-03-2004, 10:00 AM
I am clueless. dh just got a digital camera and we're not quite sure how the developing process works. do the web sites compare to an actual photo lab that you personally bring them to? what is the average cost per photo? and who developes the best quality? any input would be greatly apreciated. thanks

flagger
03-03-2004, 10:05 AM
We have used www.photoworks.com and LOVE them. When we first signed on, they cost $.19 a print and now they are $.29 a print. They use Kodak paper which we happen to be partial to.

I know many people use www.shutterfly.com, but frankly we were never that impressed. I think they all can vary honestly from time to time just as Walgreen's, Eckerds or Wal-mart.

The two online sites I have used use the same Silver halide process as a regular photo lab. Photoworks actually started out as a mail order photo lab and just evolved into the digital world. I have not used any that use a dye-sublimbation process.

With all of them, a broadband (DSL or Cable) connection is a MUST*. You upload the pictures to their site using either their software you download or a web-based interface.

*You can however mail them either a CD which you burn or your actual memory card or stick to have the pictures processed. They send it back with your pictures.

I will be perfectly honest though, we have printed only about 100 pictures of the over 2 gigs worth of pictures we have taken.

mattysmom
03-03-2004, 11:59 AM
I am a big fan of shutterfly. We started using Ofoto.com, but I found that shutterfly had a lot more fun features (borders, etc). They always have a special, and I strongly recommend buying prepaid prints so it's cheaper. Shipping is a little expensive - that's the main drawback for me. And you get your first 10 prints free so you have nothing to lose!

amp
03-03-2004, 12:03 PM
Another shutterfly fan here!

kristine_elen
03-03-2004, 01:03 PM
I think the best thing to do is send the exact same photo to several sites and see who does the best job. I tried this with ofoto, shutterfly and photoworks and ofoto did the best job. Even with turning off "vividpix" (or whatever it's called) my Shutterfly photos were really weird looking -- my son looked like he was wearing orange clown make up. So, I go with ofoto. I think they're 29 cents per print.

coffeemug230
03-03-2004, 01:07 PM
I like walmart (not uploading them to walmart which you can do) but aking the card into Walmart. Its 24 a pic no shipping and they print on glossy OR matte. I am partial to matte...

nitaghei
03-03-2004, 01:24 PM
Ofoto has been the best option for us too - between Snapfish, Shutterfly and Ofoto. I did the same thing - uploaded the same picture on all three sites. And Ofoto has some interesting options - different color tones, and now they have a decent selection of borders too. Though I'm off to check out Photoworks!

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD