PDA

View Full Version : OT: Internet Explorer questions

Rachels
03-03-2004, 03:03 PM
So the deleting of the cookies has reminded me that I have some questioins. IE for Windows is quite a bit different than IE for Mac, and I don't like it so far. :( I had a few questions. First, is there a way to delete only certain cookies? I only could find an option to delete all of them, so in resetting for this board, I lost my cookies for EVERYTHING. Also, IE for Mac had a button called "Autofill" with an associated profile. I could click Autofill when I was ordering something online, and it would automatically enter my name, address, credit card info, etc. I hate having to type it all in each time. Am I just missing something with the Windows version?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
03-03-2004, 03:11 PM
>I could click Autofill when I was
>ordering something online, and it would automatically enter my
>name, address, credit card info, etc. I hate having to type
>it all in each time. Am I just missing something with the
>Windows version?

Seriously Rachel, you are the type of user that malicicious hackers just love. I never ever ever recommend AutoFill. I don't even have any financial data stored on a computer that is connected to the net. I am just super-paranoid. I stopped using IE just because of the many known and unknown exploits out there.

You can go in and manually clear each cookie. If you go to tools and internet options and then click settings and view files, you can then look at each individual cookie.

Rachels
03-03-2004, 03:22 PM
Oops. Sigh. I tend to be on the computer when Abby is nursing, and it's not always so easy to type. I do it here, obviously, but I just hate entering rote information. Guess I'll suck it up...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

flagger
03-03-2004, 04:17 PM
No just with that post I thought of that CitiFinancial advert with the woman sitting in the hair salon talking but it is a young male's voice-over.

"...and $20,000 to complete my robot....my giiiiirrrrrrl robot..."

:D

papal
03-03-2004, 06:59 PM
since mac users are so few and far between, most of the hackers out there do not go after them.
also, i am pretty sure that the Auto Fill feature cannot be accessed by anyone not using that computer. even if it is connected to the net on a mac. i have no experience with windoze.

flagger
03-03-2004, 07:15 PM
To clarify, I was referring specifically to using the Auto-fill on IE with a PC.

JElaineB
03-03-2004, 11:47 PM
You can delete just a few cookies. When you go into Tools...Internet Options, click Settings under Temporary Internet Files then click View Files. Go into Details view and sort by Type. All the text files are cookies, just delete the ones you want. This is even easier if you choose "Delete Files" before you go into Settings because that will delete everything but the cookies (you should do this every so often anyway, to keep IE running faster).

Another way, if you know the name of the cookies you want to delete is to perform as search on your computer. I searched for "windsorpeak" (after finding a couple with that name in them) and it saved me time from scanning through all my cookies. I just deleted all the files with "windsorpeak" in them that were text files in the Temporary Internet Files folder.

ETA: There is a feature similar to AutoFill called AutoComplete. Click on Tools...Internet Options. On the Content tab is a button for AutoComplete. You can adjust the settings there, perhaps yours is not turned on. It only works if you typing something in a field that has the same name as a field used previously (such as "First Name", "Address" etc.) The information is encrypted on your computer and websites cannot access it. You might look under the Help menu for more information about this. There are entries for AutoComplete on the Index tab.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

22tango
03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
FYI: There is an "AutoFill" button (similar to what you describe) on the Google Toolbar. You may have had that installed on your previous version. If that was the case, you can reinstall it from: http://www.google.com/options/

mharling
03-04-2004, 12:16 PM
That commercial is hysterical. I like the one with the guy and the leather bustierre (sp?) a lot too!!

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

sntm
03-04-2004, 06:05 PM
I LOVE THAT COMMERCIAL!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03