PDA

View Full Version : Cold Remedies

Raidra
03-03-2004, 10:50 PM
Well, my 4 month old has his first cold. I feel terrible, since I'm the one who gave it to him.. though I'm pretty sure I picked it up from our moms' group. He doesn't have a fever, just a stuffy nose and this pitiful (but oddly sweet) cough.

We've elevated his crib mattress, hooked up the humidifier, done the saline nose drops, and taken a steam shower. I think the cough has gotten worse with the drops, though.. post-nasal drip maybe? Anyways.. is there anything else I'm missing? I called the doctor's office and that's what they suggested, and told me not to use any medications since he's under 6 months and not extremely sick.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. I hate seeing my baby sick.. even if he is still acting happy for the most part. :)

Thanks,
Rachel

JLiebCamm
03-03-2004, 11:56 PM
The bulb aspirator that I brought home from the hospital was my best friend when DS had a cold. I sucked an unbelievable amount of mucus from his nose, and he breathed so much better when I did!

Good luck and remember, it's probably much worse for you to watch him be sick than it is for him!

Karenn
03-04-2004, 12:32 AM
I use vapor bath with Colin when he's plugged up. Johnson & Johnson sells it and Gerber sells a variety too. It's bubble bath that smells like Menthol. I don't know how much it actually does, but I'm like you and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to make him comfortable.

If you're nursing, another thing you can do is nurse frequently. That's a small thing that really made a difference when Colin was sick.

Hope your little guy is feeling better soon!

Raidra
03-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the advice.. last night was really rough - I thought he had been sick yesterday, but that was nothing compared to last night. We had to use the bulb aspirator at least once an hour, and he finally ended up sleeping in his bouncy seat, as it's more upright than I could get his crib.

I'll have to try the vapo bath.. I always liked vapo rub when I was a kid, so maybe it'll work for him.

Thanks!

amp
03-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Sorry there aren't more solutions w/ a young infant! Hugs to you and your son, and I hope he's on the mend soon!

cinrein
03-04-2004, 04:55 PM
I'm sorry your son is sick. :(

My SIL had her kids sleep in their carseats when sick. Depending which kind you have, it may be more comfortable/adjustable than the bouncy.

Hope he's better soon.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

BethS
03-04-2004, 07:08 PM
Rachel~

Jack had his first cold last week at 3 1/2 mos with the same symptoms as your little guy. We did all the things you are doing and he's so much better now. It sure did break my heart to hear him coughing and sneezing. Hope he gets better soon!!!

papal
03-04-2004, 08:28 PM
Rachel.. sorry your baby is not feeling well. Leela had a cold a couple of weeks ago (4 months old). She was pretty stuffed up and in addition to the usual things you described, i also gave her half a dropperful of Pediacare Nasal Decongestant. My ped said it was fine (she is just 10 pounds). It did seem to help her breathe easier. Maybe you can ask your ped about it? It is not a Rx medication.

ohiomom
03-05-2004, 12:10 AM
We use eucalyptus essential oil (mixed with carrier oil -- we use Aveda brand since already mixed with other oil, but Body shop and Bath & Body works also have the pure oil). We pour a few drops on a bib and hang it around DD's neck. Worked like a charm the 2 times she's had a cold.

Basil oil (Bath & Body works now carries - I just saw today) works well too. At night I put the bib on between her jammies and her halo sleepsack. Figured this out after my therapeutic massage w/essential oils cleared DDs stuffy nose up within 5 minutes of holding her. I was on the phone with the therapist very quickly to see what she used -- it was the basil in that case. Hope your DS feels better soon. IKWYM -- I've been the culprit both times my DD has gotten a cold. It stinks when you can't blame someone else!!

Nicole's Mom 7/30/03

jamsmu
03-05-2004, 12:12 AM
At four months, DS had his first cold, too. Ped recommended taking him off dairy for 48 hours (very painful for me!) and I gave him Gerber Liquilites instead. This really cleared him up!

Now he has a stomach virus, vomitting a lot! And we're back on the Liquilytes again... more pain for me!

houseof3boys
03-05-2004, 12:45 AM
That is a great suggestion! Thanks. I love essential oils and though some are not safe for children, these are and I think the bib trick is fantastic. :)

Raidra
03-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Thanks so much for everyone's replies.. the vapo bath and regular vapo rub worked pretty well yesterday (he took a 3+ hour nap while I rocked him), but it didn't seem to help last night. This morning, he woke up at 6:30 to eat, then wanted to go back to sleep at 7:15 (which is the norm for him), but I couldn't get him to stay asleep until 8:20, and then he only slept for 20 minutes. Ugh!

I'm going to call the pedi today and see if I can give him Pedicare.. we were given a ton of it at our baby shower, and I'd love to be able to give it to him, even if just at night. Hopefully my husband will come home early from work today and I can run out to Bath & Bodyworks to try the oils.. I've never used them before, though. What kind of carrier oil do I use? Do they sell it there, too?

Thanks again!

ohiomom
03-08-2004, 12:03 AM
Sorry, I didn't check back yesterday.
They do sell different carrier oil, but truthfully, to apply it on a bib this way you could probably just use canola oil to mix with it! Much cheaper!!

I hope he's starting to feel better by now. My ped didn't want decongestants used for a year if at all possible. Thank goodness she hasn't been sick too much.

Nicole's Mom
7/30/03