PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a Yahoo Group

jec2
03-03-2004, 11:51 PM
Hi, my local mommy and me class "fired" the poor woman who volunteered to be the contact because she's been sending a borage of trivial emails. Anyway, we are going to try yahoo group so that people can access the info at their leisure.

Anyhoo, simple question, does one have to have a yahoo acct. to join? Do I need to tell everyone to do this in my welcoming email or can they just use the email that I use to "invite" them to join?

pritchettzoo
03-04-2004, 12:02 AM
You do not need a yahoo email account, but you need a yahoo account. If that makes any sense at all... You have to be able to "sign in" with yahoo in order to get to your groups. But you can use your regular email address to sign up. Make sure you edit your preferences so that yahoo doesn't sell your information to every Tom, ####, and Harry out there though. There's a post on the BBB swap group on how to fix it. If you're not on that, let me know and I'll dig it up for you!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

ETA: The filter cracks me up! #### and Jane...what smut! ;)

jec2
03-04-2004, 12:11 AM
I think I found the feature to "keep the group private." That's what you mean right? If we're talking about the same thing I think I selected my group as private one upon setting it up.

mom2kandj
03-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Juliet,

If you are the owner of the group, you can add members yourself as long as you have their email addys. I would ask your group if they want to be enrolled/added directly or if they want you to send the email inviting them. Also, you might want to let everyone know about the email options(no mail, daily digest, and all email). Unless they change their email settings, they would receive all mail and a lot of newbies drop from a group based on the amount of email. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

pritchettzoo
03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
No, that just keeps random people from browsing your group. Here's a recent message about privacy concerns with yahoo and how to avoid them:

If you are at all concerned with people knowing where you go or what
you do on Yahoo......check it out.

Yahoo can track us and see what kind of sites we are looking at, but
you can choose to opt out of it!!

Here's how....

"Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
are going - similar to cookies.

Take a look at their updated privacy statement:

http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/pixels/details.html

About half-way down the page, in the section "Outside the Yahoo!
Network", you'll see a little "click here" link that will let
you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

Once you have clicked that link, you are opted out. Notice
the "Success" message the top the next page. Be careful because on
that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked, will
*undo** the opt-out. Feel free to forward this to other groups. Of
course, if you don't mind Yahoo recording every website and every
group you visit you should ignore this message.

**Also, go to http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy/us/ and it will explain everything. Make sure to check your "marketing preferences" (there's a hyperlink on that page)--I believe the default is set to "Yes," which is what will get you put on every mailing list known to man.

HTH!
Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)