PDA

View Full Version : uh, oh, cats don't seem to be able to get past the gate. oops.

etwahl
03-04-2004, 12:47 AM
we installed our gate on our bottom stair today and the cats don't seem to be able to get past it. should we have installed it high enough off the stair to let them pass under? but then i'd be worried about lauren sticking her head under it or soemthing and getting stuck.

do cats learn to jump over these things? i mean goodness, my cat jumps on the counter all the time. is jumping over something that much harder than jumping onto something?

ETA: maybe if they're stuck upstairs all the time, i won't have to buy an expensive vacuum ;) well after all, it IS a large upstairs (2 levels even). LOL!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

iluvmy2boys
03-04-2004, 01:05 AM
Our cat squeezes her fat body underneath the gate at the top of the stairs but at the bottom she jumps over it.

granted she likes to perch her fat self on 2in of window sill too! LOL

lisams
03-04-2004, 01:34 AM
Yep, same thing here. They squeeze underneath (with just a 4" clearance) at the top of the stairs but jump over at the bottom (and the gate at the bottom is taller - go figure!)

Lisa

caleymama
03-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Our cat (fairly agile) will only jump over the gate we have between 2 rooms, not the ones on the stairs. She waits to be let up or down. She will squeeze through the rails on the side of the stairs near the bottom coming down instead of waiting to be let out but she won't do this going up. And at the top of the stairs she always waits for the gate to be opened. I don't know if it's something about the stairs that makes it different for her?

lukkykatt
03-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Our cat figured out that he could fit between the rails on the sides of the steps. They are wider than the slats of the gate. So he bypassed the gate altogether. Don't know if you have a setup like that or not. We used to put a little bench by the side of the stairs so it was easier for him to reach.