PDA

View Full Version : room temp. for sleeping baby?

anita
03-04-2004, 01:41 AM
After reading info. on how to prevent SIDS, I became slightly paranoid about ds getting overheated while asleep. It doesn't help that several sources give conflicting info. about the ideal sleeping temperature, and that the way the baby is dressed for sleep isn't usually factored in.
What, in your opinion is best room temp. for sleep, and how do you dress baby for that temp.?

Thanks!

Anita

marit
03-04-2004, 02:06 AM
I think you should aim at a temperature that makes your baby's hands and ears not cold but also not sweating. This temperature depends on how you dress him/her. For my DD, it is 70 deg, because she doesn't keep her blankets on.

mharling
03-04-2004, 02:27 AM
I read somewhere that anywhere from 68 to 72 is ideal. Where you fall within that range will depend on your baby. I tend to err on the side of being too cool. That is far less dangerous than being overheated, IMO.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

jal
03-04-2004, 01:23 PM
I think you should aim at a temperature that makes your baby's hands and ears not cold but also not sweating.

I'll second this suggestion.

At night, we let the rest of the house get cold (in the morning, the furnace get's it quite warm very quick. But DS won't keep a blanket on him, so we keep the thermastate controled space heater on in his room at night. We seem to have to adjust the control based on temp outside and what DS is wearing. We then go by skin temp to determine if we are keeping it warm enought.

marinkitty
03-04-2004, 01:48 PM
We keep DD's nursery 69 or 70. Any colder and she wakes up and any hotter and I feel like she overheats. She sleeps in a fleece or cotton footed sleeper and a fleece Halo sack.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

anita
03-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input!

Anita

AngelaS
03-09-2004, 05:55 PM
We turn our heat to 62 at night and up to 68 during the day. :D