PDA

View Full Version : Article on the cost of being SAHM

kransden
03-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Here is an article on the cost of being a SAHM. I thought it was pretty interesting, especially the 2nd income calculator.
http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CollegeandFamily/Raisekids/P37249.asp

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

amp
03-04-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the link!

Before I had kids, but when I knew I would be a SAHM, I heard (on Dr. Laura I think) about figuring out whether your 2nd income amounted to anything after day care, meals, wardrobe, travel, car maintenance, etc. Although I am sure there are arguments on the other side, I knew that since my DH carried good health insurance and benefits, and my income was minimal, we definitely couldn't *afford* for me to work. I hate it when people say to me, "You're lucky you *can* stay home." I am lucky that I get to spend my day with my son, but this is a choice we made. It's what we wanted and planned for. Money is *very* tight right now, and as I said, we couldn't afford daycare, but that was secondary to our choice. So, either way, luck doesn't have much to do with it in our case! I do agree wholeheartedly, though, that you have to figure in all of those costs before making the decision.

mamahill
03-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Interesting. $1 million or $1 billion - what kind of price can you put on the little moments throughout the day where you step back and marvel at this little person, or when your heart suddenly leaps into your throat and you laugh while holding back tears of joy when you see your child trying to read a book to your cat. I can't afford to go to work.

etwahl
03-04-2004, 06:36 PM
sarah, havent' read the article yet, but i just wanted to say how much i love your little stories. the thought of lauren (on ainsleigh) reading a book to the cat brought a tear to MY eye :) thanks for all the anecdotes. you're such a great mommy - ainsleigh's a lucky, lucky girl, that's for sure :)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

mamahill
03-04-2004, 10:45 PM
Aw shucks, I wish someone was here to remind her of that on my less-than-stellar days. You're so nice - and can I just say that your avatar brings a smile to my face whenever I see it. Lauren is lucky to have such a devoted and patient mommy - you have the patience of a saint (with all the diet modification, Evan being away, moving, etc. etc.)!

etwahl
03-04-2004, 11:29 PM
well we're just one big love fest this evening :) thanks for being so sweet. i love ainsleigh's avatar too! i kept forgetting to mention that. it's so dang cute!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kransden
03-05-2004, 10:49 AM
Well my dd trys to eat the cat, but that is a different story!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02