PDA

View Full Version : The weirdest thing!

Rachels
03-06-2004, 10:04 PM
We have several of the Baby Einstein movies, including the Baby Dolittle World Animals. There's a scene with very sweet, slow music that features giraffes nuzzling each other. Abigail has really been working this out, but something about this just breaks her heart. The first few times she watched it, she burst into huge sobs at that part, including big crocodile tears. We talked and talked about it, and I tried putting the movie away. She kept asking for it and would comment, without provocation, "Giraffes snuggling. Giraffes okay." She was really insistant on being able to watch it again, and I eventually decided there must be something she needed to work out about it. (Tough. I don't want to make it appear to her that I'm censoring her sadness, but I also don't want to unnecessarily set her up for giraffe trauma.) So we have watched it several more times, with me holding her for the giraffe scenes and us talking it through before, during, and after. Yesterday, she watched it and then came in a few minutes later with a tragedy-mask kind of turned-down mouth. She said, "Sad!" Then today, she watched it with me and got through it okay, but said in the middle, "Talk about it! Talk about it!"

It's the damndest thing. My thought is that she's just very, very responsive to music, which seems to be quite true across the board(even though this is the only music that makes her cry). My DH's vote is that she was a giraffe in a former life.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jd11365
03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
That is just the sweetest darn story I've ever heard! What a sensitive little baby! Thanks so much for sharing this... :)

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

egoldber
03-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Maybe she's just very perceptive, because that "giraffes snuggling" scene is a big lie. :) Those giraffes are actually "fighting" for dominance. When we went on safari to Africa a few years ago, we observed this behavior many times with giraffes and our guide explained that this is how giraffes fight for territory, females, etc. DH and I actually get a big (silent) kick out of the "sweetness" of this scene since we know its actually a fight scene!

And I do wonder what sets them off sometimes. There are scenes in various shows or particular characters that seem to upset DD for no reason that I can really discern. The dog Blue in Blues Clues used to set her off screaming. And the Oobi charcater on Noggin terrifies her.

And I think you're raising quite the little therapist there. :) I can just hear her now "Talk about it! Talk about it!" :) I mean how sweet is that?

COElizabeth
03-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Since she is used to snuggling with you or another loved one when something bad happens (like she gets hurt or is sick), maybe she thinks that the giraffes must have had something bad happen to them? I don't know. It's great that she says she wants to talk about it, though. I don't ever expect to hear those words from my child's mouth (though at this point I don't know if I will ever hear any words besides hi or no! :) ).

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Rachels
03-06-2004, 11:56 PM
A giraffe lie! Oh, dear. :) But I got a kick out of your post. She's the child of a therapist, I guess-- I just can't help it. She knows we talk about things. :) But it IS sweet. The whole thing just makes my throat close up.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
03-06-2004, 11:59 PM
He'll talk, don't worry. And Abigail will someday get some teeth. Everything in its own time. :)

I HOPE she doesn't think that the "snuggling" (about which I now stand corrected) doesn't mean that something bad happened. We snuggle her all the time, not just when she's upset, so I hope that's not her association. But who knows? I'd pay good money to be in that little brain for a few minutes.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

COElizabeth
03-07-2004, 12:10 AM
Oh, I didn't mean to suggest that you hug or kiss her only when she's upset, just that something about the scene might remind her of being comforted when she is not feeling good. I thought of it because I remembered you saying once that Abigail said something like "It's okay Abigail" over and over when she was upset about something, and I thought maybe the "giraffes okay" was along the same lines. :) Who knows - Beth's explanation is certainly the most interesting one!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02

Rachels
03-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Good point! :) You're definitely right about the "Giraffes okay" comment. It's with an intoned, "...aren't they?"

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

TaChapm2
03-07-2004, 12:37 AM
DS has been doing this for the past few months now. He loves the video but anticipates the giraffes and starts running to us and fussing right before they come on. Then when the music begins he cries big crocodile tears. This is so funny. We thought he had some serious issues. DH is laughing right now that another child does this. Maybe we should start them a support group! LOL :)

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

aliceinwonderland
03-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Both your kids are just too cute!! I'm so looking forward to puzzling moments like these...I had to share that sweet story with DH tonight :)

My non-experienced impression is what was suggested, she maybe thinks one of the giraffes is not ok and they're comforting each other. The soft (sad?) music may have something to do with it too...

MKH76
03-07-2004, 03:13 AM
We have problems during this video as well. Only ours is when the giraffe (again the culprit!) is a puppet and grows really, really tall out of the fake grass. The tone of the music and the whole scene really upsets DS. He will jump up into my lap and hide his face during that scene. Which is tough on both of us. I'm due to deliver #2 in a few days!!

boys2enough
03-07-2004, 08:32 AM
That is so sweet! She is such an adorable little lady. Oh, now you all make me want a girl even more...

LOL at dh's comment that she's probably a giraffe in previous life.

Cheers, Lin

TaChapm2
03-07-2004, 02:20 PM
I was in such a hurry last night that I didn't have time to post everything. The Giraffe has been the main one to upset DS from the beginning. It continues to torture him, but he is starting to react this way to other vidoes as well. His favorite video has always been Baby Mozart. He has watched this since he was born. About 2 weeks ago he started running up to me and wanting me to hold him when the Blah Dragon would come on. Now he is also anticipating it and crying when it comes on. It breaks his heart. Then he is fine and wants to get down and play. To top it all off now he is coming up to me and sticking his toung out and saying Blah but you don't dare do it back to him. Major drama! I just can't figure it out. Same thing with the barking and backwards jumping Dog on the Baby Bach video. I mean seriously he has watched these over and over again with no problem but now all of the sudden he has issues. The giraffes have always freaked him out though (esp. when they are running through the grass). This lady has made so much money off these things maybe she should pay for our children's therapy. I'm just so happy that DS isn't the only one with issues! :)

ETA: I just tried adding a picture of Jackson and the look but the attachment won't work. Any advice?
Tara

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-07-2004, 03:53 PM
...for some reason that dragon going "blah" disturbs me...to be so liberal about so much I don't like that dragon teaching my child to go "blah"...I hope I change my opinion on that and eat my words...but it does bug me some :)...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

egoldber
03-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Kids seem to either love or hate that dragon. Its always been DD's absolute favorite part. She'll run around forever saying "Blah!". I think its pretty cute personally. :)

TaChapm2
03-07-2004, 06:04 PM
It used to be DS favorite part of the video too but something must have happened. I can't figure him out.:)

Tara