PDA

View Full Version : A poop question

jojo2324
03-07-2004, 10:50 AM
What's your child's poop like? Because Gannon's is, for lack of a better word, sludgey. Soft is perhaps nicer to say. I have never had the luxury of "log" poop with him, so no rolling off the CD into the toilet! Must scrape and swish...

Do others experience this? I just thought that since he's older, his poop would mature too. Every once in a while, it will be firm, and I'll try to think back over his food intake that day...But since he eats very little, there isn't much room for variety.

Another thought is that he's not getting enough liquids, but he sucks back both milk and water. (Water with meals, milk with breakfast and before sleep times - I'd say about 18 oz milk, and the same for water, a day.)

But Neve, I can relate to your worm story. Yesterday I changed his diaper and was quite disgusted and horrified as I extracted (yes, extracted) a string about 6 inches long. Of course my first thought was that it was a worm - he has a weird rash on his chest and we just started a new playgroup, with moms who didn't seem too concerned about bringing their sick children and letting them snarf all over Sorrel. So I called the ped, and while I was on hold realized it actually WAS a string. He loves string. And is usually able to pull them from the bottom of our sofa. She laughed and reassured me that there would never be a worm 6" long in a healthy child.

DH made fun of me all day...He kept saying, "Joanne, what happens when you eat something? It's gotta come out." Or, "Joanne, ever hear of kids eating pennies? Where do you think they go?"

I concurred that yes, what goes in must come out...It just never occurred to me that he would eat string!! Because why on earth would you? Maybe if I ate string, I wouldn't have thought it was a worm. But I've now realized my views on what's appropriate are vastly different from those of Gannon. I am not a toddler. Regardless, it was really nasty.

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-07-2004, 11:20 AM
Funny story!!! :)...I wold have done the same thing :)

Tristan's poops vary big time in the way they look, they have been hard at times, but mostly I have to use the plastic paint spatula I bought to clean his Cds off into the toilet/trash...so for the most part I'd say they are soft...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

bluej
03-07-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm not a poop expert and haven't spent too much time wondering why Alex has solid poop and Caden has, as you say, sludgey poop. I imagine maybe it does have something to do w/ what they eat, but I'm really not sure as the only difference in the two is that Caden eats far more meat than Alex. Anyway, at almost six Caden rarely has truly solid poop. As far as I know, Alex still has solid poop (haven't had the pleasure (ha!) of having to check in a good several years) and it seems to me that it started being solid at around one, maybe a little later. Solid poop is easier on the mommy!

brubeck
03-07-2004, 12:10 PM
It's definitely a diet thing. Andrew's tend to firm up when he eats bananas.

Oh and I call it 'peanut butter poop' because that's the consistency of it. It's also that sticky if you are unfortunate enough to get some on your hands.

jojo2324
03-07-2004, 01:21 PM
Hmmm...one of main staples of Gannon's diet is bananas.

I guess I was just wondering if it *should* be firm?

MelissaTC
03-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Matthew's poop tends to be on the softer side. I would say that the majority of his poops are thick and pasty, not at all the kind that rolls. Not here. *If* there is log kind, I tend to get a little excited. LOL. DH thinks I am nuts but I tried to explain to him that I get sick of wiping him so much....

alleyoop
03-07-2004, 06:35 PM
Yep, we have peanut butter type poop here, too! I keep thinking that it will get firmer, but alas... it never does. Wouldn't a nice log or crescent be wonderful? Then, maybe I wouldn't go through whipes so quickly. Oh, poop dreams!

papal
03-07-2004, 08:15 PM
Joanne! Just saw the pics in your shutterfly album... Sorrel is SO CUTE!!! And i love the piggy playsuit she has on.... absolutely darling!!
I love piggies!

luvbeinmama
03-07-2004, 08:15 PM
On the RARE occasion when my kids have "log" poop rather than sludgy poop, I am really happy. It is so much easier to clean, but I never get it. Oh, and my kids eat bananas all the time, but no cheese due to the milk sensitivity. DS is 4 and still has mushy poops, although it doesn't really matter much now that he's pooping into the toilet. LOL about the string. I've pulled out something similar in the past. It is rather disconcerting. :P

toomanystrollers
03-07-2004, 08:49 PM
The secret is in the cheese - but not too much - opposite effect!!!

jojo2324
03-07-2004, 09:42 PM
LOL, thanks everyone!! And I thought I was a big dork, celebrating the occasional log poop!! The worst part is he now wants to "help" with the wiping!!!! Can I say, NOOOOOO loud enough!! :D

Yeah, that string was absolutely disgusting. I hope to never ever repeat it, EVER. I was so freaked out.

ChicagoMama
03-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Joanne,
I LOVE those pics in your shutterfly album....I have to say I am laughing about your "life with two" photos -- I thought I was looking at pics of my house with two. Too funny -- thanks for sharing!!!

Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03