PDA

View Full Version : Dansko-comfort for wide feet - do they exist? preferably cute too!

etwahl
03-07-2004, 05:19 PM
we actually were in a nordstroms this weekend (3 hrs away, ugh) and was SOOOO excited about getting some dansko sandals. well the 7's were too narrow around my toes (really scrunched them) and the 8's while more comfortable around the toes were WAYYYY too long.

are there shoes out there with dansko's comfort for wider feet? i am desperate now. i NEED new shoes:

- very comfortable
- cute and sandaly styles
- price i don't care about because i wear my shoes to death

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

crl
03-07-2004, 06:28 PM
I have narrow heels, but my feet are kind of wide otherwise. I've had good luck with Eccos. Also, you might check out the www.zappos.com website. They have tons of shoes with reviews which can help you figure out whether the shoes run big or small, etc. And last time I checked they had free shipping AND free returns. So you can order without risk! Good luck.

JElaineB
03-07-2004, 09:10 PM
Have you tried Birkenstocks? They are excellent for wide feet and have some really cute new styles for spring and summer. If you don't like the Birkenstock look, there are plenty that look nothing like typical Birkenstocks.

They are extremely comfortable, so much so that I wear nothing else. If you have never worn them before they do take a week or so to break in, so they may hurt for that time. But after that they are great, the most comfortable shoes you can own IMHO!

Here are a couple of online Birkenstock stores that I like:

http://www.birkenstockexpress.com
http://www.birkenstockcentral.com
http://www.footprints.com

The first one I like the best, they have a size selector that tells you the right size to order for each style. The second is good also, they have a lot of choices. The third has less selection, but their nice feature is their 6 month "test walk" for online orders. You can wear a pair and return it up to six months later if you decide they are not for you! I had a friend who ordered from there and did end up returning after about 4 months - no problems. You might also check out http://www.birkenstock.com, they have a store locator where you can find a store near you to try on in person.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Tondi G
03-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Tammy

email my mom... she sells Dansko's and knows a LOT about other comfort shoe lines as well..... she used to manage a Birkenstock store and goes to the big shoe convention every year! I am sure she will have some good advise for you!

[email protected] .... just tell her Tondi gave you the addy!

Good luck
~Tondi

etwahl
03-07-2004, 09:23 PM
i just did, thanks!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
03-07-2004, 09:25 PM
jennifer, i did notice some cute ones on zappos.com. but a lot of the reviewers said the bottoms turned their feet black. is this common with their shoes?

i admit i had a pair of birks years ago. the standard style. and i never broke them in i don't think because they always hurt my feet. but they were wide enough.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
03-07-2004, 09:26 PM
thanks for the recommendation to zappos. that site is pretty cool. i just looked though and i have 13 pairs in my shopping cart at a cool $1000...eeks! i think it's time to re-evaluate.

have you tried clarks? how do they fit?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-07-2004, 09:28 PM
I bought two pairs of Danskos from Tondi's mom and was thrilled with her service, response, answers to questions etc...
...and my shoes haven't left my feet since they arrived!!!!
I can't say enough grand things about her mom and the service she provides. My friend Angie also has ordered from her and was glad that I introduced them...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

JElaineB
03-07-2004, 09:32 PM
I have never had that happen, but I pretty much stick to the regular Birkenstock styles and haven't tried any of the newer styles with the black rubbery bottoms. If you consider trying them, footprints.com might be good then for that, use the 6 month test walk to see if that would happen. You definitely need to give them a solid week or two to get used to them. The first week I had my first pair I was begging the friend who talked me into getting them to let me take them off! He "forced" me to wear them for a full week and I was so glad he did. Once that week was over I never looked back!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Momof3Labs
03-07-2004, 10:20 PM
I have a wide foot and have been happy (so far) with my (new) Lands End shoes in wide - they have some cute, casual slides for the summer, too. I haven't tested the return policy yet, but knowing Lands End, it must be pretty good.

crl
03-08-2004, 09:08 PM
Of course, once I mentioned zappos I had to go "visit" and now I"ve got four pairs of shoes on the way. There's no way they'll all fit, right? So I'll just return a couple of pairs--no shipping charges after all. LOL

I haven't ever tried Clarks, but I know people who say they are really comfortable. But I don't know if that's for wide feet or not.

etwahl
03-08-2004, 09:18 PM
you have wide feet too you said? what'd you order?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

crl
03-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Hi Tammy,

Here's what I ordered:

Naot Footwear Jasmine $ 111.00
Black Nubuk/Black Leather
Size 38 (US Womens 7)
Width M

Ecco Almond Sandal $ 49.90
Brick Leather
Size UK 5 (US Womens 7)
Width M

Dexter Zephyr $ 48.90
Black smooth leather
Size 7
Width M

Dr. Martens 5A82 Series - New Authentic Sandal $ 67.95
Black Abiline
Size UK 5(US Womens7/Youth 6)
Width M

(The Eccos and Dexters are on sale.) My feet are kind of narrow at the heel and wide at the ball. I've had good luck with Eccos and Dexters--but the Dexters were years ago. I've never tried Naots or Dr. Martens before. If you want, I can report after I get them in. I'm pretty much figuring that at least a couple of these won't work out.

etwahl
03-09-2004, 10:30 AM
yes please DO report!!! i'm especially interested in the Naots. they look really cool. I'm goign to check out what styles you got. here's what i ordered. i'll probably end up having to send them all back. i'm hoping at least one pair will work. 2 are beach-type styles.

Ecco Receptor Ko Samui $77.95
Delphin/Black/Black
Size 38 (US Womens 7-7.5)
Width M

Rockport Spotter Bay $72.95
Black
Size 7
Width W

Indigo by Clarks Verve $77.95
Earth Leather
Size 7.5
Width M

Ecco Receptor Crazy Legs Sport Sandal $54.95
Black/Royal/Black
Size 38 (US Womens 7-7.5)
Width M

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

nitaghei
03-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Tammy,

Neither Clarks nor Rockports work for wide feet. They are my absolute favorite brands, and pretty much all I buy, and my feet are between narrow and medium.

Another option for you might be Eddie Bauer - they have some really fun sandals, and they run WIDE! I could never wear them.

HTH

Nita
mom to Neel 01/05/03
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

Andrea S
03-09-2004, 11:35 AM
Tammy,

I had a pair of Naots last summer and I think they are narrow. It may depend on style mine were slide on sandles.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

crl
03-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Okay, my order came in today (woohoo--just ordered on the 7th), so here's my report.

The Naot pair is really cute in person, but didn't fit me right. Strangely there seemed to be enough room in the ball of my foot, but they were too tight in the arch area--right where the leather on the front part of the shoe ends. Not sure if that description makes sense, but this is the first time I've ever had that fit problem. At least they were the most expensive pair so I'm not too sorry to be sending them back.

The Eccos are keepers. I actually like their looks better in person and the red is a nice dark (not orangey) red. I've only tried them on of course, not worn them a lot. But so far I think they fit very well and are comfortable. I suspect they will be a summer staple for me.

The Dexters are going back. I think they are just too narrow in the ball of the foot, but they might be too small overall. I'm not going to bother trying a different size--they're cute, but I don't love them.

The Dr. Martens are also going back. They definitely seem wide enough. But they seem a bit stiff overall to me. This is probably just a matter of preference. But I think the end of the leather over the toes digs in a bit on me. I'm thinking I'd just end up with blisters. I'm a bit disappointed because I think these are really cute.

In case you can't tell, I'm really picky about how shoes fit. So, I'm really pleased that one pair worked out.

I hope your order turns out well--let us know!

etwahl
03-10-2004, 08:32 PM
got mine! they all fit, except the eccos were a bit long, but i just didn't like any of them on me that much. so they're all going back :( starting back at square one....

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com