PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Chuck E. Cheeses?

redhookmom
03-07-2004, 11:47 PM
My DS has seen the commercial for this place on TV. He deeps asking me to take him there. There is on about 45 minutes from my house. Is it worth the trip?

KMommie
03-08-2004, 01:13 AM
At my old school, I used to raffle myself off at our Open House, as a fundraiser and take the two winners to Chuck E. Cheese's. The kids seemed to love it. The two different places that I've been to have had tunnels, slides and ball pits, little car ride things that move back and forth, then there are the games. All of these things take tokens, they get tickets and then trade them in for candy and junk. The food is awful. It truly is cardboard pizza and the salads are pretty sad. You can sit in a room where Chuck E. Cheese has a show every 30 minutes or so. It's one of those animatronic kind, with music and lights. Not too impressive from my POV, but the kids I took loved it. Out here in So. Cal, there are usually coupons in the Sunday paper for a pizza, drinks and tokens deal. The newer the facilities, the better the place seems to be, more space, more climbing tunnels, games, etc.

HTH,
Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

jubilee
03-08-2004, 02:08 AM
I've been there a dozen times, and must say two magic words-- bring tylenol. Yes there are the tunnels, slides and ball pits which are free to play in, like a grand mcdonald's playland. Then there are arcade games which take tokens worth about a quarter each. I agree the food is awful. Try to avoid weekends there, as it seems to be birthday mecca- and full of shreaking kids! How old are your kids? I think little kids would be intimated by being alone in the playland area, and I don't think parents are allowed in the tunnels. I say go to mcdonalds and enjoy the playland there, at least the food is better!

bluej
03-08-2004, 09:28 AM
Ugh, I HATE Chuck E Cheese! The kids, however, LOVE it! And they love the awful pizza. And they love the chaos. And I'm not kidding, I think they love that it drives me nuts! But since they enjoy it so much I would have to say that it's worth it.

shishamo
03-08-2004, 09:33 AM
I really HATE Chuck E Cheese. I can't stand the stupid show. Food is beyond awful. My ears were ringing afterwards. That said, Leo had a great time there.

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Well I went to one when I was very single and it was the best form of birth control I could ever have had...kids running around screaming AND HAVING THE TIME OF THEIR LIFE...

The place still makes my skin crawl...but I have to say that your DS will think you are the godess that you are if you take him there I have no doubt!!!! :)

It's a great B-Day place, a place to go with him a a friend or two atleast I'd say...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

Jen in Chicago
03-08-2004, 11:21 AM
It has been about 20 years since I went to one, but when we did it was such a treat! I think my parents must have sat with beer and wine in hand as we played all over the place. It was super cheesy, but it was a blast for us. It was always a special treat b/c it was not close. It was a fun thing you did when you picked up Dad at the airport from a business trip, or our parents were going to spring "news" on us like "We are moving."

They used to have a deal with getting free tokens b/c of your grades. I remember getting straight A's, so my Dad took me there.

It was bridery now that I look at it for the most part, but I remember HAPPY times.

DH has a few friends that are still single. The joke is future bachelor parties will need to be at Chuck E Cheese's b/c so many of "the group" now have kids.

lmariana
03-08-2004, 12:57 PM
It's a classic! Before it was Chuck E. Cheese's, it was called "Showbiz Pizza", and my sister, brother and I used to LOVE going there when we were kids!

Bring some Aleeve for yourself, and just have a good attitude about it and act like a kid! It's a blast and a great way to get the kids exhausted!

i'd recommend setting a budget and alotting each child a certain amount of $/tokens to spend, so you don't get too crazy. There are combo packs where you get food, drinks, and tokens. There are usually coupons in our sunday paper and you can find some on their webpage too: http://www.chuckecheese.com/cec2002/restaurants/coupons.html

Enjoy!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

brubeck
03-08-2004, 02:03 PM
I was just there for the first time on Friday (not counting when I was there 20 years ago). Suribear introduced me. The pizza was actually better than I remembered, similar to mall pizza (eg: Sbarro). There was a special area for smaller kids with rides and a big crawltube and slide, and kiddie arcade games. There was even a toddler zone set aside with a smaller play structure that Andrew (only 14 months) could play on. I didn't even use any tokens because Amy doesn't understand them yet. She just sat in all the vehicles and pressed the buttons and turned the steering wheel, not realizing that they could move too. :)

I don't know if its worth a drive in and of itself (unless you want to have a special treat for your son) but if you're in the area you could check it out.

partyof5
03-08-2004, 05:29 PM
I totally agree with the above posts. You may not enjoy it but your kids will. I would definitely take them during the week when it's less chaotic and not on the weekend. One tip I have is to make sure to bring some antibacterial wipes to wipe your kids hands with. Call me paranoid but my friend's son got sick the first 3 times he went to Chuck E. Cheese and it wasn't from the food.

~Cindy mommy to...
Isabella (11/1999)
Sophia (10/2001)
Ethan (4/2003)

parkersmama
03-08-2004, 07:17 PM
My experience pretty much echos the others here. It's a loud, annoying place with horrible food that my kids think is a little slice of heaven on earth!!

I don't think a child under 2 1/2 or 3 would enjoy it, though. There's just nothing to do for one that young. If your ds can't play the games (Wesley can only do a couple with any skill at all, although Parker does well) and isn't old enough/willing to go into the tunnels alone, he won't enjoy it nearly as much.

If you're wanting to give him a treat, it's worth the trip because all children that I know love that stupid place. :)

redhookmom
03-08-2004, 10:29 PM
I'm convinced. There is a Gymboree near by so we will go afterwards.