PDA

View Full Version : Picture People - First timer

JustMare
03-08-2004, 01:47 PM
I have a coupon for the "smilestones" at the Picture People. I'd like to take DS there for an Easter Picture.

Can someone explain the process - do I make a reservation? are there any hidden fees? how expensive do they run?.

Any thing I need to know ahead of time for this adventure? DS sleeps 90% of the time, when's the best time to go?

llcoddington
03-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Yes, you make a reservation. Is your coupon for free sitting fees and a free 8X10? If so, then there are no hidden fees. If not, then sitting fee is $9.99 (I think) per person. I believe that an 8x10 is $15 and two 5x7s are also $15. I'm not sure how much the other sizes are. To be honest, I never go without a coupon. Most of the time, I walk away paying nothing (except for Christmas- presents for the family).

I haven't figured out when the best time to go is!!! For Lauren's 12 day pictures, she was asleep in all of them and they turned out really cute!

One more thing- Picture People can do black and white pictures and they turn out adorable!

Good Luck!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

kristine_elen
03-08-2004, 03:37 PM
I would just say to keep in mind that you don't have to let them use the props they pick. There were some cute photos of Jack, but I didn't like the prop in the photo so I only got some wallets. Also, it was a blue background and Jack's skin looked blue. Food for thought.

lukkykatt
03-08-2004, 04:25 PM
There are no hidden fees, and how expensive they are just depends on how many pictures that you want to get.

When you call to make your appt., ask to have a manager take your pictures or for the person who is best with babies. The quality of the photographers can vary wildly.

At this age, I think the sleeping pictures are adorable.

Also, don't be afraid to speak up on the color of backgrounds and/or props that you want. Some photographers just start doing what they want, if you disagree, just speak up!

kransden
03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Have the free sitting and photo coupon. They do 5 poses. They use film, so you have no idea how the pictures will look. Sears and JCP often have digital imaging.

A set of pictures is (1-8x10, 2-5x7, 8-wallets)
The first set is $40.00 the second is $35.00. A sheet is 15.00.

Sometimes they don't have the picture centered when it is printed. They will fix it if you ask.

IMHO JCP and Sears are much better deals with small children. I think the PP have better props and cooler looking backgrounds, but it doesn't help if dd isn't smiling. I got Valentine pictures there. My dd was laughing and all of her pictures make her look like a Klingon. That is a lot of money to spend on Klingon pictures. LOL! When dd is older and can be a ham I think the PP will be ok, but not for my toddler. BTW all the photographers there were excellent and had a great rapport with the kids.

Try them and get your free picture no matter what. Your angel might do a great pose.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

kransden
03-08-2004, 04:42 PM
Have the free sitting and photo coupon. They do 5 poses. They use film, so you have no idea how the pictures will look. Sears and JCP often have digital imaging.

A set of pictures is (1-8x10, 2-5x7, 8-wallets)
The first set is $40.00 the second is $35.00. A sheet is 15.00.

Sometimes they don't have the picture centered when it is printed. They will fix it if you ask.

IMHO JCP and Sears are much better deals with small children. I think the PP have better props and cooler looking backgrounds, but it doesn't help if dd isn't smiling. I got Valentine pictures there. My dd was laughing and all of her pictures make her look like a Klingon. That is a lot of money to spend on Klingon pictures. LOL! When dd is older and can be a ham I think the PP will be ok, but not for my toddler. BTW all the photographers there were excellent and had a great rapport with the kids.

Try them and get your free picture no matter what. Your angel might do a great pose.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

MinnieMouse
03-08-2004, 04:47 PM
We have used PP exclusively since dd was 5mo. She is currently 2.5yo. I will NEVER go back to Sears. Our Sears did a horrible job both times we tried them...and at two different local stores. It is so worth it to us to spend a few extra dollars for PP.

It's true that they use film and not digital and I actually prefer it. The color is better and to be honest it doesn't matter about not being able to "preview" the picts since you get to see them in an hour.

I'm not saying that color CAN'T be good...just that the equipment Sears uses is obviously not calibrated with their printing process since the color disparity was the size of the Grand Canyon in our case.

We have ALWAYS found PP to be professional, we have never had to wait more than 10min after an appt for a session and even the sitting where WE thought it was awful, we got outstanding photographs of our DD.

Enjoy!!
Christine

MinnieMouse
03-08-2004, 04:47 PM
We have used PP exclusively since dd was 5mo. She is currently 2.5yo. I will NEVER go back to Sears. Our Sears did a horrible job both times we tried them...and at two different local stores. It is so worth it to us to spend a few extra dollars for PP.

It's true that they use film and not digital and I actually prefer it. The color is better and to be honest it doesn't matter about not being able to "preview" the picts since you get to see them in an hour.

I'm not saying that color CAN'T be good...just that the equipment Sears uses is obviously not calibrated with their printing process since the color disparity was the size of the Grand Canyon in our case.

We have ALWAYS found PP to be professional, we have never had to wait more than 10min after an appt for a session and even the sitting where WE thought it was awful, we got outstanding photographs of our DD.

Enjoy!!
Christine

doubleL
03-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I have no idea what smilestones is, but here is some general advice when going to the PP.

Call ahead to make a reservation. I find it is best to go when they first open in the morning at 10 or 10:30AM. The exception to this, of course, is if your child routinely naps at that time. Then sign up for a time after the nap as soon as you can get DS/DD fed and to the store.

If there is a promotion going on, call for a day as soon as possible and not toward the day when the promotion expires and everybody else and their mother is in there.

Be prepared for them to suggest a background or props that you can't stand and be ready to say... "I only want a white, black, or brown background." Or "I don't care for the bunny ears prop, I prefer the white bench, white chair, or the wagon." Etc. Let them know you want at least one close up or whatever it is your heart desires.

When you come back to pick up your pictures, they will be featured in a paper frame type thingy. Lots of times they look cute and centered in this frame, but make sure to open up the package and check the pics inside, sometimes these are not centered. If they are not centered but you like the pic, you can ask the photographer if they can center it. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no.

If you have them print again for centering check them all carefully before leaving and paying and be prepared to say, "That is not centered enough for me, I don't care to pay for that picture."

I've gotten some good pics from PP, but it can be frustrating and you have to stand up for yourself. Hope you have a good experience!

doubleL
03-08-2004, 04:48 PM
I have no idea what smilestones is, but here is some general advice when going to the PP.

Call ahead to make a reservation. I find it is best to go when they first open in the morning at 10 or 10:30AM. The exception to this, of course, is if your child routinely naps at that time. Then sign up for a time after the nap as soon as you can get DS/DD fed and to the store.

If there is a promotion going on, call for a day as soon as possible and not toward the day when the promotion expires and everybody else and their mother is in there.

Be prepared for them to suggest a background or props that you can't stand and be ready to say... "I only want a white, black, or brown background." Or "I don't care for the bunny ears prop, I prefer the white bench, white chair, or the wagon." Etc. Let them know you want at least one close up or whatever it is your heart desires.

When you come back to pick up your pictures, they will be featured in a paper frame type thingy. Lots of times they look cute and centered in this frame, but make sure to open up the package and check the pics inside, sometimes these are not centered. If they are not centered but you like the pic, you can ask the photographer if they can center it. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes they say no.

If you have them print again for centering check them all carefully before leaving and paying and be prepared to say, "That is not centered enough for me, I don't care to pay for that picture."

I've gotten some good pics from PP, but it can be frustrating and you have to stand up for yourself. Hope you have a good experience!

kransden
03-08-2004, 06:44 PM
Also if the picture is really badly centered and you don't want to wait for them to make another picture, ask them to substitute from one of the other poses. If you are nice, they often will.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02