PDA

View Full Version : does having a c-section make it more difficult to maintain a pregnancy?

spu
03-09-2004, 06:21 PM
I got scared the other day when I read that if you've had a c-section (which I did) and want to get pregnant again, sometimes the placenta or even the embryo can implant in the scar tissue from the c, adding complications to the pregnancy... like carrying to term, or other scary things. Is this true? Anyone out there have a c, and then have another successful pregnancy afterward or any complications? Thanks in advance for sharing such sensitive information with me.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

egoldber
03-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Susan, having had a C section does put you at more risk for additional complications for subsequent pregnancies. Now, none of those complications are terribly likely, but it does increase the risks.

The following info is from the ICAN website:

"Scar tissue makes subsequent cesareans more difficult to perform, increasing the risk of injury to other organs as well as placenta previa, placenta accreta, infertility, ectopic pregnancy, uterine rupture in subsequent pregnancies and the risk of chronic problems from adhesions."

Placenta previa is when the placenta attaches to a site in the uterus so that it blocks the opeining to the cervix. With placenta accreta, the placenta actually extends outside the uterus, which is NOT NOT NOT common, but when it does happen is a very serious complication. The more C-sections you've had, the more likely the complications become. A woman with one C-section has increased risks, but not huge risks.

Here's some link to sites with more info:
http://www.ican-online.org
http://www.vbac.com/

I would also urge you to read Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She has tons of info about cesareans and the risks associated with them.

HTH,

ktdid74
03-09-2004, 07:12 PM
Hi Susan-
I've had 2 c-sections (my first was for breech and I chose not to VBAC with #2) and I actually had a better second pregnancy. I have a bicornuate uterus which means it's kind of heart shaped with a long septum down the middle. I had preterm labor and was on bedrest/house arrest with both pregnancies. I went to 36 weeks with DS but to 40 wks with DD! I work as an L&D nurse so I've seen plenty of scary things happen with pregnancies, including what you're talking about. I believe it's called placenta accreta when it grows through the scar tissue. By no means would I try to scare you away from having another pregnancy and I don't know statistics on how often it happens, though I know it's not seen a lot.
There isn't a way to predict it or avoid it though. Depending on how your first pregnancy went (did you go to term with the girls?) you may or may not have complications. A singleton is much easier on your uterus than twins! Feel free to email me if want any specific info ( I don't want to put any scary stuff on the boards). HTH-

luvbeinmama
03-09-2004, 07:40 PM
I had a c-section with both kids. And beyond using a maternity belt earlier and really consistently with the 2nd, I don't think I had any more complications related to c/s. Actually using the belt earlier helped a LOT because with DS I had a lot of nerve pinching toward the end to where there were periods of time I couldn't stand on my leg because it hurt so much. I didn't have that with DD and I'm sure it was because of the belt. DS was 2 weeks early (I labored first and ended up with emergency c/s). DD was scheduled at 2 weeks early and I didn't go into labor, so she would have been later gestationally than DS. The 2nd c/s is also much easier to recover from. HTH!

doubleL
03-09-2004, 09:12 PM
I had a c-section and no miscarriages or complications with my second pregnancy. My doctor said it is best to wait 9 months after a c before TTC again for healing purposes. Also, because my first labor was diagnosed as "failure to progress" my OB really wanted me to schedule a c-section for my second child although it was "up to me".

Lou
~David 5.01
~Elisabeth 6.03

sugarsnappea
03-10-2004, 09:36 AM
I had 2 positive cesarean experiences and 2 successful pregnancies. No complications whatsoever w/#2, she was delivered after her EDD.
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to email me.

BTW- your daughters are adorable! :)

cuca_
03-10-2004, 09:37 AM
I have only had one c-section (because dd was breech), but just wanted to let you know that my mom had 4 c-sections and never had any complications!

Carmen