PDA

View Full Version : >sigh< Chicken pox in 6.5 month old...

sarahfran
03-10-2004, 12:15 AM
In late Feb there was a notice on the door at daycare stating "Your child may have been exposed to chicken pox and mono." Today when I went to pick DS up, his caretaker said "he's got a few little spots on his stomach...keep an eye on them." Tonight at bath time, I counted 9 little spots on his belly/back/butt/legs.

SOOOO, I'm thinking DS may be pox ridden very soon. We have an appt with the ped tomorrow (ironically, a "well baby" checkup), so we'll get the professional opinion.

I've read that chicken pox isn't too bad at this age, and within about a week he should be okay. Any of you have experience in this area and pointers to keep him comfortable if it is chic pox?

-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

:) Motherhood is such a joy! :)

s_gosney
03-10-2004, 12:30 AM
Sarah, I'm sorry to hear that, but I fear we may be with you. There was a similar sign this week at our daycare. x( I really hope that kylee doesn't get it, and I hope that dylan doesn't either. I obviously have no advice...I hope it all works out!

papal
03-10-2004, 12:42 AM
Sarah, that stinks! I have no pointers but I hope Dylan does not feel too itchy and uncomfortable (or is that the measles?).

And Sherri, I hope Kylee does not get it.

Do keep us updated.

sarahfran
03-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Oh, Sherri, terrible news. This is a case where misery doesn't love company. I hope neither of them has it--be sure to post when you find out!
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

s_gosney
03-10-2004, 12:52 AM
I forgot to get the scoop from the workers on which kid had it, etc. I don't know if they're really supposed to tell that stuff, but it's a small church daycare where the workers were all my friends long before we had kylee...Anyway, they try hard to keep the big kids from touching her, but they're not always quick enough. There's just something about a baby that makes everyone want to touch...chicken pox is only spread through touching, right?
Anyway...hoping for the best. Next week is spring break for me and I am so hoping to have a nice break...

sarahfran
03-10-2004, 01:04 AM
I was just reading about it online and read that chicpox is spread through sneezing / coughing. Surprising. And keep in mind that most kids have been immunized for it (I think at 1yr), so it might have been an infant who had it, as in our daycare. I also read that late winter / early spring is the "high" season for cp.

Enjoy your spring break! (here's hoping!)
-Sarah
Mom to Dylan, 8/18/03

doubleL
03-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Sarah, So sorry!! It does seem too young.

Please remember NO aspirin!! Trim his fingernails and give him an oatmeal bath.

Bring him Friday, we'll have a chicken pox party ;)

Lou
~David 5.01
~Elisabeth 6.03

stillplayswithbarbies
03-10-2004, 12:25 PM
you might want to call the ped and let them know he might have chicken pox, they may not want you in the office at all.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

houseof3boys
03-10-2004, 02:54 PM
No experience, but you have my sympathies Sarah. Maybe you can look at it with a positive spin that at least you are getting it out of the way so early!!!

cara1
03-10-2004, 03:04 PM
Could've been from an unimmunized infant, but it had to start somewhere, and probably from an older child who was not immunized.

mharling
03-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Sarah -
I'm so sorry for you a little Dylan!! Hope he's doing OK.

That being said, I almost wish Lane would get the chicken pox soon so I wouldn't have to make a decision about the vaccine. Almost.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

amp
03-10-2004, 06:57 PM
I agree w/ Karen on this one. Call the ped if you think it's chicken pox. Some peds *do NOT* want kids w/ CP in the office w/ well babies and sick babes, for that matter, since it's so contagious!