PDA

View Full Version : What's your "guilty pleasure?"

esianoyam3
03-12-2004, 04:47 PM
For the first year of our marriage (we've been married a year and 4 months, now), DH and I didn't even have an antennae on our television. So basically, the only time the TV was on was when we were watching movies or playing PS2.

Now that we have access to satellite tv, I've found a couple of shows that I really enjoy watching... Before getting married, I totally swore off reality shows, because I thought they were stupid...

Now, I'm completely addicted to American Idol. To the point where I either have to make sure I'm home to watch it, or I have to have somebody record it for me. It's really kind of embarassing.

I also have a soft spot for Average Joe (although after the last two seasons, I don't know if I can handle any more heartbreak...).

What types of "guilty pleasures" do the rest of you indulge in?

deborah_r
03-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm with you on American Idol. I tuned in in Season 1 thinking I would just laugh at it, and now I'm addicted for my 3rd season. My musical tastes are so far from the way most of them sing, but I still LOVE that show!

My main guilty pleasure is probably these boards! Highly addictive!

Oh, and Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls. And those dark chocolate covered raisins from Trader Joe's. And....

llcoddington
03-12-2004, 05:04 PM
American Idol and Survivor. And Ben & Jerry's Pfish Food icecream.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

jbowman
03-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Aaargghhh...this is extraordinarly embarrassing to admit, but I love those terrible, mindless woman-in-peril movies on Lifetime (which inevitably feature Lynda Carter, Melissa Gilbert, Nancy McKeon, Patty Duke, Tori Spelling, or Judith Light--how do I know this?)! They are truly awful, but I can't make myself turn the channel...tell me I'm not alone!

My husband and I love to watch Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on Spike TV--it's hilarious if you haven't seen it!

deborah_r
03-12-2004, 05:46 PM
Yes, yes, yes! Lifetime movies are totally a guilty pleasure. DH, of course, hates anything on the Lifetime channel, but if I put it on on a Saturday or Sunday, when they play movies back-to-back, he can't stop watching them! One will end and I'll say, OK change the channel, and he says, nope, now I have to watch all of them!!!

And we Lifetime AND Lifetime Movie Metwork. Double trouble.

TaChapm2
03-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Trading Spaces and NASCAR. I am totally a junkie for both. I love getting new ideas off of Trading Spaces. In spite of all the bad rooms there are a few good ideas that inspire me to be more creative. As far as NASCAR goes...I totally didn't see this one coming, but I LOVE it. I now have to plan my Sundays around the race. At least DS loves to watch the cars and is entertained by the singing of the National Anthem. He drops everything and runs to the TV to watch them sing. It is too cute. My family thinks I've gone off the deep end but I am slowly trying to convert them.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

jbowman
03-12-2004, 06:06 PM
LOL! My husband does that too! When we got Lifetime Movie Network it was like Christmas, but I thought "now I really won't get any work done at home!"

stillplayswithbarbies
03-12-2004, 06:09 PM
American Idol is the reason Logan was almost born in the car. I wanted to see Ruben sing before we left for the hospital.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

hez
03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Trading Spaces, yes! And, While You Were Out. A coworker taped 6 hours of that kind of stuff over the holidays, and the tape's in the Nursing Moms (aka Pumping Moms!) room, so I get to sneak in a few minutes of designers arguing with homeowners every day at work. My interior designer friend laughs at us for watching, but you're right-- sometimes it helps the inspiration process for me!

redhookmom
03-12-2004, 06:45 PM
Dr. Phil, Survivor, American Idol and Clean Sweep.

And, I can't wait for another Amazing Race and Big Brother.

Bowing my head in shame.

bluej
03-12-2004, 06:53 PM
How come I'm always embarrassed to admit mine? MTV's The Inferno and The Newlyweds. Most stuff on MTV makes me so very thankful that I'm older and married! And those two shows are relatively tame compared to other MTV shows, so I actually do enjoy them.

llcoddington
03-12-2004, 07:19 PM
Hee! Hee! I love The Newlyweds! So, is "Chicken of the Sea" tuna or chicken?!!!!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

hobey
03-12-2004, 08:02 PM
American Idol, The Apprentice, Queer Eye, Dr. Phil, and the occasional E True Hollywood Story....:)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

lizajane
03-12-2004, 09:25 PM
living in raleigh, we are DROWING in clay-mania. he was my 11 year old buddy's day camp counselor at the YMCA where i am also a member. (no, i never met him, but there are pics of him all over the Y.)
i like american idol. it is fun.

ice cream. i indulge almost every single night. i have dh hooked on "cream," too.

and tv, tv, tv. i will watch almost any bad teen show. i love teen crap. (i am not a teen, by the way! i am getting close to 29!) i love to remember the days of crushes and first dates and singing 80's tunes in the car with the gals.

blnony
03-12-2004, 10:27 PM
It used to be Buffy but now its America's Next Top Model. I won't admit it to anyone IRL; but I am soooo adicted to that show.

tina-t
03-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Love American Idol and CSI.

Also addicted to these boards which drives dh crazy!

MartiesMom2B
03-12-2004, 11:17 PM
Jen:

A woman after my own heart (whatever the heck that means *lol*). I am a MTV-aholic. DH can have ESPN I want my MTV. I love the Inferno, Real World, Newlyweds and to my shame have actually been watching Til Death do us Part (come on its right after Newlyweds)!!

I also love watching those count down shows on E! and VH1.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

C99
03-13-2004, 12:37 AM
Mine are really embarassing because they are generally kids' shows. I really like Nogin's Degrassi Jr. High, the next generation. (Did anyone every watch the originals on PBS? I loved them!) And if it's on, I try to catch MTV's The Real World, even though it's completely not real and the kids are self-absorbed and kind of dumb. I also got sucked into the Trista & Ryan special on TV, even though I only watched 1 episode of the Bachlorette and the whole thing made *me* want to run for a bottle of Pepto Bismol!

We have TiVO and cable, so I almost never watch network TV. I've never seen American Idol or Survivor or Dr. Phil or Fear Factor, and have only seen an episode or 2 of Seinfeld, so I miss a lot of pop-culture references.

mharling
03-13-2004, 12:48 AM
I loved Degrassi on PBS!!! I haven't really caught it much on Noggin, but should.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

etwahl
03-13-2004, 09:59 AM
i think what's more embarrassing is that i will watch these numerous times if they fall during a naptime...some episodes i've seen 2 or 3 times ;)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
03-13-2004, 10:00 AM
another embarrassing degrassi girl. i actually grew up in canada where degrassi was big! i had no idea these shows were on here until i saw them on the noggin. it's been years since i saw them, but was happy to see the next generation ones.

ETA: the reason i like the next generation is because characters from the older shows are on there and it's interesting to see how they grew up.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com