PDA

View Full Version : OT...front load washer-advice needed

tapr
03-15-2004, 01:38 AM
We are moving in a few weeks and need to purchase a new washer and dryer. We have been looking at the frontload washers. My thought was that we do so much laundry that it would be worth the investment. But then we started to research and found that the front loaders seem to have reliability problems. Would you recommend the Maytag Neptune over the entry level Sears model (can't remember the name) Should I consider LG or Whirlpool? Does anyone have recommendations on a dependable front load washer?

TIA!

Tracey

SeekerMage
03-15-2004, 01:45 AM
I cant personally tell you anything about either of those washers, but would give my opinion to just get a large capacity top loading washer. My point is that I know there have been several times when I have gone to do a load and started it only to realize I forgot to put something in and gone and added it after the load has started. You cannot do this with the front load washers.

As far as the brands that you suggested I know that Sears Kenmore is a good brand and they tend to really stand behind their product. Sorry I cant offer more advice! Oh....other then my parents have a Kenmore large capacity (sorry dont know the model) washer and its great, we can do about three loads of clothes in one load compared to the average size washer at most laudraumats. HTH

wendmatt
03-15-2004, 02:13 AM
We've lived here for 3 years and the washing machine was def used when we moved in. I just looked and it's a Gibson, never heard of them! Anyways it's been great, never broken. You actually can push in the button and add something after it's started. It uses way less water and detergent and actually seems to get things cleaner. I am going to get a front loader when we get our own place. Sorry I don't know anything about the models you are loking at. How about going to the library and looking at Consumer reports to check them. Good luck.

gisele
03-15-2004, 04:00 AM
I have had a Maytag Neptune for 4 years now. I really like it much better than a top loader. Haven't had any reliability problems with it And you can add clothes after you have started it - I do that all the time. It holds more than a top loader, gets the clothes cleaner, and I can wash down comforters and sleeping bags in it. It also uses a lot less water than a top loader. I don't know what the Sears one is like, but I've been happy with my Neptune.

crl
03-15-2004, 09:57 AM
We've had the Sears Kenmore FL for over a year now. It hasn't needed any service. I love it. Uses less water, uses less detergant, gets clothes cleaner w/less wear and tear on them (no agitator) and spins things out dryer than our old top loader. It's among the smaller of the FLers, but holds more than our old top loader did. (And you can add garments after it has started.) Some people don't like leaning over, but you have to do that for the dryer anyway and it doesn't bother me.

Good luck!

JElaineB
03-15-2004, 10:23 AM
We have had the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer for 4.5 years. We have been extremely happy with them. No problems at all. You can add items to the washer for up to 2 minutes after the cycle starts before the door locks (maybe they have changed this on the newer version, I don't know). It holds a ton of clothes and I can wash a king-size comforter in it (and dry it too, of course!) It uses a lot less water than a regular washer if you pay for your own water. I highly recommend the Neptune, though I haven't looked at any other models to compare since we bought ours.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Marisa6826
03-15-2004, 10:30 AM
We have a Sears Kenmore set and it's just awesome. I LOVE it. How pathetic is that?!

The front loaders use considerably less water (16 gal vs. 44 gal. on a full load). That really adds up, not just ecologically but financially.

They also wear less on the clothes and clean more thoroughly.

I would buy a front loader again in a minute. One thing I do recommend is the little pedestal drawers. I didn't get them and now I'm kicking myself.

Good luck!

-m

hobey
03-15-2004, 10:32 AM
>My point is that I know there
>have been several times when I have gone to do a load and
>started it only to realize I forgot to put something in and
>gone and added it after the load has started. You cannot do
>this with the front load washers.
>
I'm not sure if others have this feature but we have the Whirlpool Duet and I can unlock the door for about 5 minutes at the beginning of the wash cycle to add stuff I forgot. This washer and dryer system was one of the best purchases we've ever made. No reliability
issues and you can do up to 16 pairs of jeans at a time!

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

nohomama
03-15-2004, 03:20 PM
We've had a Frigedaire front loader for 4.5 years and have yet to have any problems with it (knock on wood). For reference, I believe that the Kenmore front loaders are manufactured by Frigedaire or visa versa. Either way, the Frigedaire and Kenmore machines are nearly identical. Any differences are primarily between model years.

Zansu
03-15-2004, 03:35 PM
We bought the LG in January and we love it. I've had an LG cell phone for years, and was always impressed with the quality, so I wasn't afraid to try their appliances.

And because the LG was significantly less expensive than the comparable brands, I decided to get the extended warranty from the store JIC. Even with the warranty, the LG was still less expensive.

And I second the suggestion to get the pedestal.

DebbieJ
03-15-2004, 03:37 PM
Wehave the Kenmore HE3t washer and dryer. As someone else mentioned, you definitely want the pedastals--puts everything at waist height.

They are fabulous machines. Use less water, more effective, large capacity. I love them!

FYI--the Kenmore and the Whirlpool made by the same manufacturer.

~ deb
mommy to brendan 12/7/03

Marisa6826
03-15-2004, 08:58 PM
Same with mine. I have the Kenmore version of the Duet. They're literally the same except for the name.

-m

hellokitty1
03-16-2004, 11:54 AM
We have the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer and we have had some repair issues but I believe we got the model when it was still somewhat new. So it may be better now. I recommend Consumer Reports if you get your hands on one. It is our best tool in mkaing purchases such as that. As I recall, Maytag does score on the lower end for reliability. If I get a chance, I'll take a look at my Consumer Reports.

hellokitty1
03-16-2004, 11:54 AM
We have the Maytag Neptune washer and dryer and we have had some repair issues but I believe we got the model when it was still somewhat new. So it may be better now. I recommend Consumer Reports if you get your hands on one. It is our best tool in mkaing purchases such as that. As I recall, Maytag does score on the lower end for reliability. If I get a chance, I'll take a look at my Consumer Reports.

momofboys
03-16-2004, 02:41 PM
We just purchased a new washer/dryer. I was an avid reader of the following laundry bulletin board for a while.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/laundry/
Most of the posters there have frontloaders and they highly recommend the Whirlpool Duets and the Kenmore HE3T. The recommend staying FAR away from Neptune FrontLoaders due to repair issues.
BTW, I ended up chickening out of putchasing FL machines that don't have such a long track record in the US. I MUST HAVE reliability in my washer/dryer since we are a family of 8. I ended up with a Whirlpool Gold Toploader and matching dryer. I LOVE IT!

jenniebean
03-16-2004, 05:55 PM
We have the new Neptune washer/dryer. We bought them last year around October. I LOVE them!!
I haven't had on issue with either of them and I do probably 8 -10 loads a week. All of them almost to full capacity.
I haven't had an issue with adding clothes because I can stop the wash cycle anytime without having to worry about water spilling out. There's a pause button on the washer and it stops agitating before it unlocks the door.
I can also fit my king sized comforter in both the washer and the dryer and was really happy with the way that it turned out.

I do know that the Neptunes had major issues before the newest set was brought out late last year and I have a few friends that have the older models and have had to have things replaced on them a few times, but the issues seemed to be fixed on ours.

I really don't know anything about the other washers though since my husband decided that these were the ones we were getting and what he wants, we get. :)