PDA

View Full Version : Back-to-work: tomorrow's almost here : (

lmintzer
03-15-2004, 05:23 PM
I can't believe the day has finally come--4 months sounded like such a long time. Tomorrow's my first day back to work, and I am feeling so not ready. I work 3 days/week (T/TH/F), and I get so sad thinking of leaving little Joshua who doesn't like to take a bottle and is really Mama's little cuddle bug. I know he'll be okay, but he won't understand where I am. I've never been away from him for more than 1 feeding in a row. And Jack? He has gotten used to me being home now. And in all his toddler glory, he's used to (and demands) good 1 to 1 care, since my nanny has been with us throughout my maternity leave (this has been both a blessing and a curse, but that's another whole story).

So, I'm sad (as to be expected) but also exhausted since Joshua seems to have inherited his brother's sleep disorder. Night is so-so (co-sleeping part of the night helps somewhat but daytime is a disaster right now). My sweet little preemie baby who did nothing but sleep for 1-2 months now has a terrible time sleeping. His pathetic little 30 minute naps don't begin to help him feel rested, and he lets out these pitiful little screechy cries that just say "help me sleep, Mama." So of course I do. I rock him, swaddle him, give him his pacifier, walk with him until my back is achy. I can't let my little guy cry. My mom jokes that I have 2 first children. I don't know whether to be offended or proud. Usually, I just laugh.

I'm scared my nanny won't be able to handle it--still the same fear I had weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's in my head and I need to shake it or there is some reality to it. My kids just aren't easy. That's the truth. I read posts here about people cooking nice meals, making home-made toys for their children, decorating there homes, going on trips. I'm just like "huh?" This is so not where we're at. It's taken 2 caregivers to ensure the two kids are fed, clean, played with, taken to activities (Jack, that is) and nurtured. I feel like I've totally failed at the "do it myself" plan.

I don't mean for this to be a "poor me" or a "I have it worse than you" post. I know I'm lucky to have two healthy, beautiful little boys who are developing so nicely. But I'm just so worn out--exasperated by a testing, boisterous toddler and ANOTHER nfant who just doesn't do "what the infants in the books do" and take naps (hah--the psychologist me is laughing at myself for even writing that--it's silly to even think a thought like that). But who doesn't think "why doesn't my kid do X like the others?" sometimes. Even though it's not a useful or healthy thought in any way.

Anyway, if you have a spare minute, please send some positive work/pumping/not-being-too-heartsick vibes my way. It's going to be a rough few weeks!

(Edited to say I work 3 days/week, so I will still be home with them every M/W. I'm hoping that will help with BF and keeping my supply up--as well as my morale!)

bluej
03-15-2004, 05:31 PM
Oh Lisa, I have not experienced what you are about to experience so I can only imagine how tough the adjustment will be for you. But I do think children adjust more easily than their mama's, so I'm sure your little boys are going to do just great. I'll send all of the positive vibes I can to you, your boys and your nanny!

votre_ami03
03-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Oh Lisa, I was there four mos ago! I couldn't imagine leaving my baby boy all day long, even though I knew he would be in good hands w/his Nana. I worried about pumping & my supply, it's been almost 8 mos & still going! I called to check on him a million times through the day too. I honestly think my mom was as nervous as I was b/c I waited over 7 years for this baby & he is my first.

It will be okay, you will be okay & they will be okay. Promise!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

lmintzer
03-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Jen and Christy. Christy--know this should probably be in the feeding forum, but do you remember how much Nolan was taking by bottle when you first went back?

Rachels
03-15-2004, 08:55 PM
(((Lisa)))

Wish I had some words of wisdom for you. It sounds really hard. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JLiebCamm
03-15-2004, 10:20 PM
I remember freaking out because DS would not drink from the bottle by the time I went back to work, but he ended up adapting very quickly and all my worries were for nothing. I pumped twice a day at work and loved the quiet time that it provided to think about all things baby. The first day is quite awful but it doesn't take long to be back in the swing of things. I'll be thinking of you and hope all goes well.

peanut4us
03-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Lisa--I just saw your post... and it's your first day back today. I'm thinking of you. Hang in there!

peanut4us
03-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Lisa--I just saw your post... and it's your first day back today. I'm thinking of you. Hang in there!

votre_ami03
03-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, I do. I was sending at least 3 - 4 oz bottles in the beginning. I fed Nolan right b/f I left & as soon as I picked him up (he's w/my mom). I work 4-10 1/2 hour days, w/commute I am gone about 12 hours & this sufficed for a little while. He is a big boy (9.2 @ birth) & he was drinking 5-6oz until I put him on solids (5-6 mos) & now he is drinking 3 - 4-5oz bottles a day.

votre_ami03
03-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Yes, I do. I was sending at least 3 - 4 oz bottles in the beginning. I fed Nolan right b/f I left & as soon as I picked him up (he's w/my mom). I work 4-10 1/2 hour days, w/commute I am gone about 12 hours & this sufficed for a little while. He is a big boy (9.2 @ birth) & he was drinking 5-6oz until I put him on solids (5-6 mos) & now he is drinking 3 - 4-5oz bottles a day.

McQ
03-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Lisa ~ How's it going today? Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

McQ
03-16-2004, 12:25 PM
Lisa ~ How's it going today? Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking of you and sending good vibes your way.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04