PDA

View Full Version : Seeking a book previously mentioned here...

deborah_r
03-15-2004, 08:23 PM
I haven't seen mention of it in quite a few months, but I remember some discussion of a book that has lots of ideas for projects and activities to do with babies. Wondering if anyone knows the name of it?

Running out of activities to do with DS and can feel myself becoming more reliant on the daily dose of Baby Einstein videos! Must find some activities to do with this child. He's not that interested in stuff like "The wheels on the bus..." anymore. He still loves to sit while I read to him, but he's kind of focused on trying to eat the books right now.

KMommie
03-15-2004, 08:46 PM
Could it be "Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready" by June Oberlander? I don't remember who suggested it here, but I got it for Christmas. It has an activity a week, developmentally appropriate for your child's age---up to age 5. Some lessons are for gross motor, some are for visual discrimination, tactile learning and vocabulary, etc. It's pretty neat, you use a lot of materials around the house.

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-15-2004, 08:52 PM
I wondered if it was the Gymboree book "let's play"???? it covers things from birth so it might not be worth the money to you now, but I have really enjoyed the book!!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

deborah_r
03-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Jeannie - I think that's it! Thank you! When are you moving? - we need to get together!!

Neve- that Gymboree one sounds interesting too, but I probably wouldn't get enough use out of it. I think it is for 0-12 months.

egoldber
03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
There are several books in this vein. My favs are:

Slow and Steady

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1570290490/qid=1079398542/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/104-7949004-3434368?v=glance&s=books (and this series has a book up to age 5)

I think they are a nice complement. The Oberlander book is very comprehensive and has activity every week. The other series has about 10 activities per month. I like to pick and choose to find stuff that suits my fancy.

I've heard good things about the Baby Play book, but I've never looked at it.

HTH,

jamsmu
03-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Gymboree also makes a "Toddler Play" book. Its the "big kid" version of "Baby Play." A friend of mine has it and loves it.

KMommie
03-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Deborah-

We're putting the house on the market Wednesday! We weren't able to find a renter. :( So, we've been working like crazy trying to get the house ready to show. With the market like it is, the realtor thinks we should have multiple offers by next week, and we'll be moving out just before Kiki's birthday to temporary housing. If I end up at the ILs, I'll be seen a lot I'm sure over in the B*tching Post!!

Yes, we have to get Kiki and Kai together! If I end up running away to my dad's, I'll be close by to you and Kai. :)

And we need to get some movement over on the BBB So Cal and SD Retreat groups! Which reminds me... I need to do some research...

Jeannie
mommy to Kiki 4/18/03