PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have en elective c-section?

hovegator
03-15-2004, 11:11 PM
i am pregnant with my first baby, due in July. I am considering an elective C/S for various reasons and my OB is supportive. I'm looking for advice/stories from others who have made the same choice or from those who have had both vaginal deliveries and c-sections. Would you make the same choice again, and which type of delivery did you prefer? If you are one of the unfortunate women to have had a C/S after an unsuccessful and exhausting trial of labor or if you resented being forced to have a C/S, i don't think your advice will be helpful- no offense! I am NICU & Labor and Delivery registered nurse and have attended hundreds of deliveries of all types so i am not looking for education on risk factors or statistics. If you have never had a C/S please keep your opinions to yourselves unless you are planning to have an elective C/S next time around :)

Marisa6826
03-15-2004, 11:40 PM
I had an elective c/s at 38w2d to deliver Sophie. I have a significant tachycardia condition so my cardiologist wanted to keep my pain level in check to prevent an arrythmia from happening.

I personally LIKE the fact that I never went into labour. I had no desire to get stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel en route to NYC to deliver Sophie while trying to "breathe".

I checked in the night before and stayed five days after delivery. The recovery was rougher than I thought it would be. It took a good three weeks before I could comfortably walk around without thinking about what I'd have to do to get from one room to another. It's rough getting up, getting in and out of bed, you can't carry anything heavier than the baby, you can't drive for two weeks and you can't really climb stairs. Then there's that pesky foley cath and the courtesy shave :P. I was pretty jealous of those vaginal birth moms easily walking the halls with their new babes. I couldn't even get to the bathroom without psyching myself up.

My advice is take the pain meds they give you and let the nurses help you out as much as possible. No need to be a hero because you're certainly not going to be one once you get home! ;)

I will most likely have another c/s the next time around for the same reasons. No desire to have a VBAC (not that my cardiologist would allow it).

Good luck

-m

phirey
03-16-2004, 12:04 AM
I had an elective C-section at 38 and 6 because I had a ureteral reimplant at age 14 due to vesicoureteral reflux. I've had multiple bladder issues since age 2, including a kind of iffy diagnosis of interstitial cystitis. Regardless of what's really wrong with my bladder, I had suffered years of significant bladder pain but was relatively symptom-free at the time I got pregnant. The last thing I wanted was to have *anything* disrupt my finally painless bladder! My OB was totally on board. He's performed elective C-sections on women with Crohn's disease for the same reason.

I loved having an elective section! I just waltzed into the hospital (Northside Hospital, Atlanta) on the appointed day, got my spinal, and had a beautiful daughter a few minutes later. I did "get what I deserved," though, as she was admitted for three days to the NICU for TTN -- I'm sure you know C/S babies are higher risk. Obviously, you wonderful NICU nuses did a great job with her and she's fine now.

I am also in OB/GYN (as a PA) so I too have seen many deliveries of both kinds. I first assist C-sections almost daily, so I came in with very little fear. The recovery was easy for me -- I never even filled my Percocet Rx, just managed the pain with 800 Motrin. I'll be having another elective C/S (hopefully next spring!) For a short time I considered a VBAC next time for only the silliest of reasons: I never experienced labor and have a very hard time discussing it with my patients. But you know, so do male OBs! FWIW, I've forgotten the exact stats, but a significant number of female OBs have elective C/Ss without a medical reason...

HTH and feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

MommytoDylan
03-16-2004, 01:25 AM
I am grateful for the emergency c-section I had as it saved my baby's life! He was born, put on a ventilator, and sent by ambulance to a children's hospital. All that to say, I really recovered quickly and without much discomfort but I think that was due to worrying about my baby and not thinking about my recovery at all. The only thing I remember was it hurt to laugh or cough and I couldn't walk up and down the stairs quickly.

I will have a c-section next time as the OB says I'm too tiny to deliver a baby over 6 lbs. I'm fine with this as my body bounced back quickly, my scar is barely noticable, and the result is a sweet baby--so worth it!

kristine_elen
03-16-2004, 10:10 AM
We decided on an elective c/s a few days before Jack's due date b/c he was so huge and they said he wasn't really fat, but structurally large (ie: big shoulders). The ultrasound tech said if I ever wanted to walk or have sex again I should have a c/s. (He ended up being 9 lb. 15 oz. at birth.) I'd also had a very vivid dream that the birth didn't go well and that I grabbed my crotch before Jack was to come out and yelled: "You must give me a c-section!"
I'm so glad I did have a c/s because Jack was positioned such that he would not have come out the natural way and I'd have gone through hell just to have a scary emerg. c/s in the end. I know it's totally un-PC, but if I get pregnant again, I might just plan on a C/S; I think I've been scared off from the natural way.

kristine_elen
03-16-2004, 10:10 AM
We decided on an elective c/s a few days before Jack's due date b/c he was so huge and they said he wasn't really fat, but structurally large (ie: big shoulders). The ultrasound tech said if I ever wanted to walk or have sex again I should have a c/s. (He ended up being 9 lb. 15 oz. at birth.) I'd also had a very vivid dream that the birth didn't go well and that I grabbed my crotch before Jack was to come out and yelled: "You must give me a c-section!"
I'm so glad I did have a c/s because Jack was positioned such that he would not have come out the natural way and I'd have gone through hell just to have a scary emerg. c/s in the end. I know it's totally un-PC, but if I get pregnant again, I might just plan on a C/S; I think I've been scared off from the natural way.

josephmama
03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
My son was breech and they thought he was huge so I had a c/s. My OB actually gave me no choice so I guess you wouldn't call it elective. Turns out he wasn't huge (well his head was) but I was soooo happy with my c/s. I am definitely going that way next time. the spinal block was wonderful and I didn't have that much pain afterward and I was out driving a car by 2 weeks. I had a great c/s experience and I really don't feel that I missed out on anything- the end result was worth it for me!

josephmama
03-16-2004, 11:04 AM
My son was breech and they thought he was huge so I had a c/s. My OB actually gave me no choice so I guess you wouldn't call it elective. Turns out he wasn't huge (well his head was) but I was soooo happy with my c/s. I am definitely going that way next time. the spinal block was wonderful and I didn't have that much pain afterward and I was out driving a car by 2 weeks. I had a great c/s experience and I really don't feel that I missed out on anything- the end result was worth it for me!

mamicka
03-16-2004, 11:10 AM
I had a C/S after 33 hours of unsuccessful labor & I know you said my advice wouldn't be helpful but I just wanted to say that I don't feel badly at all about the C/S although it was my greatest fear aside from not having a healthy baby. It was really quick & relatively painless. I didn't need any pain meds at all to recover & the scar is minimal, only DH will ever see it. My only complaint about pain was (maybe TMI :)) gas. I would like to have a VBAC the next time around but if it doesn't work out, that will be fine, too.

mamicka
03-16-2004, 11:10 AM
I had a C/S after 33 hours of unsuccessful labor & I know you said my advice wouldn't be helpful but I just wanted to say that I don't feel badly at all about the C/S although it was my greatest fear aside from not having a healthy baby. It was really quick & relatively painless. I didn't need any pain meds at all to recover & the scar is minimal, only DH will ever see it. My only complaint about pain was (maybe TMI :)) gas. I would like to have a VBAC the next time around but if it doesn't work out, that will be fine, too.

g-mama
03-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I had an elective c-section with my 2nd, after having a terrible labor and attempted delivery of my first. I won't go into the details of the first, since that's not what you're looking for. I went back and forth and really struggled with my decision to try a VBAC or schedule a c/s and finally decided to schedule the c/s. Thank God, is all I can say! For me, it was the best decision I could have made. Like others have said, I went in at 10:00 in the morning 9 days before my EDD and my son was born at 12:15. It was so calm, peaceful, and beautiful. I was in better spirits by far than with the first situation and felt amazingly capable of taking care of my baby. I was walking around comfortably within 5 days, felt well enough to drive after 10 days. And this is while taking care of my almost-3-year-old ds at the same time.

We plan to ttc again this summer and even if I had the choice to make again (not a choice the 3rd time around) I would most definitely choose a c-section again.

I will add that having a c-section without all the labor and pushing is totally different than with all the labor and pushing. It makes a huge difference in how you feel afterwards and how quickly you recover.

Kristen
Paolo 11-21-00
Benjamin 8-21-03

g-mama
03-16-2004, 11:41 AM
I had an elective c-section with my 2nd, after having a terrible labor and attempted delivery of my first. I won't go into the details of the first, since that's not what you're looking for. I went back and forth and really struggled with my decision to try a VBAC or schedule a c/s and finally decided to schedule the c/s. Thank God, is all I can say! For me, it was the best decision I could have made. Like others have said, I went in at 10:00 in the morning 9 days before my EDD and my son was born at 12:15. It was so calm, peaceful, and beautiful. I was in better spirits by far than with the first situation and felt amazingly capable of taking care of my baby. I was walking around comfortably within 5 days, felt well enough to drive after 10 days. And this is while taking care of my almost-3-year-old ds at the same time.

We plan to ttc again this summer and even if I had the choice to make again (not a choice the 3rd time around) I would most definitely choose a c-section again.

I will add that having a c-section without all the labor and pushing is totally different than with all the labor and pushing. It makes a huge difference in how you feel afterwards and how quickly you recover.

Kristen
Paolo 11-21-00
Benjamin 8-21-03

LucyG
03-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi!

I had a c-section due to breech presentation, but I did go into labor first. I reached 4 cm, but had virtually no pain. We had an appointment for an external version on a Friday, and I went into labor two days before that. The entire process was, to be honest, wonderful. I had a very easy recovery, took only Advil for pain, and went home 48 hours after delivery. My DD did beautifully, nursed 15 minutes after delivery, and has had no ill effects.

I am not sure what I'll do next time. I will research VBAC, but I will also strongly consider an elective repeat c-birth. If I do go the c-birth route next time, I will write a birth plan to express my wishes about keeping the baby with us after delivery, nursing soon, rooming-in, etc. All of that happened this time, but I did not request it in a birth plan. I will want to ensure that it all happens again (if circumstances allow) with a repeat c-section.

All of that is to say, I think you can have a wonderful, fulfilling birth experience with a c-section, whether planned or not. Good luck to you!

LucyG
03-16-2004, 11:48 AM
Hi!

I had a c-section due to breech presentation, but I did go into labor first. I reached 4 cm, but had virtually no pain. We had an appointment for an external version on a Friday, and I went into labor two days before that. The entire process was, to be honest, wonderful. I had a very easy recovery, took only Advil for pain, and went home 48 hours after delivery. My DD did beautifully, nursed 15 minutes after delivery, and has had no ill effects.

I am not sure what I'll do next time. I will research VBAC, but I will also strongly consider an elective repeat c-birth. If I do go the c-birth route next time, I will write a birth plan to express my wishes about keeping the baby with us after delivery, nursing soon, rooming-in, etc. All of that happened this time, but I did not request it in a birth plan. I will want to ensure that it all happens again (if circumstances allow) with a repeat c-section.

All of that is to say, I think you can have a wonderful, fulfilling birth experience with a c-section, whether planned or not. Good luck to you!

mom2kandj
03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I had an emergency CS with DD due to fetal distress. With DS, I had a VBAC because I had no medical conditions that warranted a repeat CS. FWIW, I'm totally committed to VBAC for any future children, but would not hesitate in having a CS if it became medically necessary. Having recovered from both methods of delivery, I preferred the recovery from the VBAC. Keep in mind that my kids are 16 months apart and a repeat CS would have meant not carrying my DD for about two months during the recovery period. Yes, I was uncomfortable for several days after my VBAC, but the discomfort was significantly less than the effects of a surgical procedure. The hardest part of my CS was the bloating(they pumped in bag after bag of saline after I lost a lot of blood, but that can happen if you go from down there, too) that lasted TWO WEEKS after delivery. This has been rambling, but I HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

mom2kandj
03-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I had an emergency CS with DD due to fetal distress. With DS, I had a VBAC because I had no medical conditions that warranted a repeat CS. FWIW, I'm totally committed to VBAC for any future children, but would not hesitate in having a CS if it became medically necessary. Having recovered from both methods of delivery, I preferred the recovery from the VBAC. Keep in mind that my kids are 16 months apart and a repeat CS would have meant not carrying my DD for about two months during the recovery period. Yes, I was uncomfortable for several days after my VBAC, but the discomfort was significantly less than the effects of a surgical procedure. The hardest part of my CS was the bloating(they pumped in bag after bag of saline after I lost a lot of blood, but that can happen if you go from down there, too) that lasted TWO WEEKS after delivery. This has been rambling, but I HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

cchavez
03-16-2004, 12:15 PM
I had a c/s b/c my ob really thought I would not be able to vaginally deliver a baby over 6 lbs. I have a very narrow pelvis. DS was also measuring very large! He wound up being 7 lbs w/ a big head and broad shoulders. Part of me really wishes that I could have experienced labor but my C/s certainly was not a bad experience. Everyone tells you don't try to be a hero! Go ahead and take the meds! Well, I think I overdid it. Also I am very suceptable to yeast infections and the antibiotics caused me to have thrush. The thrush along with a very colicky baby that never latched on was the reason I gave up bfing after two months. DS also had thrush too.

I think I will have another c/s. I am too afraid to put my baby's life at risk. But I will have to talk to my ob so that I can avoid the thrush issue again....I don't know if there are other antibiotics that would not contribute to the thrush issue.

My recovery wasn't so bad but I know I will hate not being able to carry DS #1 during the recovery period. I think I will probably need help (MIL or MOM) for at least a month before I can handle both children...physically.

Overall, I don't think my c/s experience was bad but I will always wonder if it would have turned out better vaginally? But I guess I really have to think maybe it would have been worse and the life of my baby might have been jeopardized?????

cchavez
03-16-2004, 12:15 PM
I had a c/s b/c my ob really thought I would not be able to vaginally deliver a baby over 6 lbs. I have a very narrow pelvis. DS was also measuring very large! He wound up being 7 lbs w/ a big head and broad shoulders. Part of me really wishes that I could have experienced labor but my C/s certainly was not a bad experience. Everyone tells you don't try to be a hero! Go ahead and take the meds! Well, I think I overdid it. Also I am very suceptable to yeast infections and the antibiotics caused me to have thrush. The thrush along with a very colicky baby that never latched on was the reason I gave up bfing after two months. DS also had thrush too.

I think I will have another c/s. I am too afraid to put my baby's life at risk. But I will have to talk to my ob so that I can avoid the thrush issue again....I don't know if there are other antibiotics that would not contribute to the thrush issue.

My recovery wasn't so bad but I know I will hate not being able to carry DS #1 during the recovery period. I think I will probably need help (MIL or MOM) for at least a month before I can handle both children...physically.

Overall, I don't think my c/s experience was bad but I will always wonder if it would have turned out better vaginally? But I guess I really have to think maybe it would have been worse and the life of my baby might have been jeopardized?????

amp
03-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I had a late planned CS due to Jake's estimated weight (he was huge!) I really didn't want it, but my OB *strongly* recommended it and said that she'd let me labor if I preferred, but she didn't think it would have the outcome I wanted. I went ahead and scheduled the CS and was terrified! I recovered fairly well and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Now that I've had a CS and I know that VBAC is not always recommended or "allowed" by many OB's, and based on my OB's guess that my next baby will probably be as large, I highly suspect that I will go ahead and plan for a CS next time around.

Would I have scheduled or planned for one without the reasons noted above, No Way! But then, I'm a chicken!

amp
03-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I had a late planned CS due to Jake's estimated weight (he was huge!) I really didn't want it, but my OB *strongly* recommended it and said that she'd let me labor if I preferred, but she didn't think it would have the outcome I wanted. I went ahead and scheduled the CS and was terrified! I recovered fairly well and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. Now that I've had a CS and I know that VBAC is not always recommended or "allowed" by many OB's, and based on my OB's guess that my next baby will probably be as large, I highly suspect that I will go ahead and plan for a CS next time around.

Would I have scheduled or planned for one without the reasons noted above, No Way! But then, I'm a chicken!

kijip
03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I had a c/s and would do it again. While my c/s was not planned I consider it to be elective (I did not have the option of choosing in advance but I agreed immediately when a c/s was offered). I am glad that I choose the c/s. I have to say that I enjoyed not having a vaginal delivery to recover from. Due to the issues that indicated the first c/s and my easy c/s recovery I have no intention of doing a VBAC in the future although I am considered a canidate due to age (mid twenties), health and type of incision. I do not resent not having had a vaginal delivery in the least- while it hurt to laugh a little bit and my scar still itches periodically I have no issues with being incontinent or with vaginal tearing. I like that I have intact pelvic muscles! I was told the recovery would be slower but I was up and moving really fast. Sure I had my husband lug the heavy stuff around and avoided carrying my son around in the car seat carrier but I had no problems carrying my son, doing light housework, walking, working after short maternity leave or doing anything that I would have been able to do after a vaginal delivery. One bummer was getting my nice belly back- ab work is not as effective was it was pre baby but I am fairly sure I would have dealt with this after any type of delivery. I think that it should be a woman's choice. There are risks with both vaginal and c/s BUT most of the time, as you have seen in your work, it comes out fine. Do what you feel best with. I will be electing likely 1 c/s in the next 2-4 years and will have more if I decide on more pregnancies.

kijip
03-16-2004, 12:45 PM
I had a c/s and would do it again. While my c/s was not planned I consider it to be elective (I did not have the option of choosing in advance but I agreed immediately when a c/s was offered). I am glad that I choose the c/s. I have to say that I enjoyed not having a vaginal delivery to recover from. Due to the issues that indicated the first c/s and my easy c/s recovery I have no intention of doing a VBAC in the future although I am considered a canidate due to age (mid twenties), health and type of incision. I do not resent not having had a vaginal delivery in the least- while it hurt to laugh a little bit and my scar still itches periodically I have no issues with being incontinent or with vaginal tearing. I like that I have intact pelvic muscles! I was told the recovery would be slower but I was up and moving really fast. Sure I had my husband lug the heavy stuff around and avoided carrying my son around in the car seat carrier but I had no problems carrying my son, doing light housework, walking, working after short maternity leave or doing anything that I would have been able to do after a vaginal delivery. One bummer was getting my nice belly back- ab work is not as effective was it was pre baby but I am fairly sure I would have dealt with this after any type of delivery. I think that it should be a woman's choice. There are risks with both vaginal and c/s BUT most of the time, as you have seen in your work, it comes out fine. Do what you feel best with. I will be electing likely 1 c/s in the next 2-4 years and will have more if I decide on more pregnancies.

egoldber
03-16-2004, 01:00 PM
Just let me say that I am not the poster child for natural childbirth. I always wanted an epidural, was happy to have it at the time, and didn't think twice about the C-section when it was offered. But here's my story.

In some sense my C-section was elective. My water broke at 37 weeks, they attempted an induction, but I never dilated, so I was given the option for a C-section when the 24 hour point was close and I took it. I was never in real labor and once I had the epidural I was very comfy and never had real pain.

The C/S itself was fairly uneventful, although I did have low oxygen during the procedure several times and the anesthesiologist had to keep giving me oxygen to keep me conscious. Like someone else mentioned, I was also extremely bloated from all the fluids for about a week. And I had a severe itching reaction from the Duramorph used to top off the edpidural after the procedure. That lasted for about 24 hours and I about scratched my back off!

My recovery was also rather quick. I was never in a lot of pain, although I took my Percocet religiously. I was driving at 10 days, but it probably took me 4-6 weeks to feel really "good" again. And my house has lots of stairs so the stair climbing restriction was a pretty significant inconvenience for me.

I am definitely planning a VBAC for my next child, although if I had to have a C-section again, I wouldn't consider it a tragedy. I just think that if you look globablly at a woman's health, that a surgical birth is not preferable to a vaginal birth without a medically indicated reason.

Also, I was NOT very educated about C-sections before having one (even though I thought I was), and I wish I had known a lot more, including the potential impact on future fertility. If I had known more, I would have urged my OB to consider other options.

HTH,

hovegator
03-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Everyone has been SO helpful. Thank you all for your advice! Pencil me in Doc!

Jeanne
03-16-2004, 01:55 PM
I had both - vaginal with the first (very bad delivery - vacuum assist and c with the second due to breech presentation). And while we are not considering a third child, I know that my hospital does not favor vbacs because of complications and because the State of PA has severe Malpractice issues right now.
That being said, I would check with your doctor as to what the hospital policy is for c-sections. I was not aware that I would not be able to have the baby in my room for 24 hours afterwards without supervision because the of the IV drugs. My hospital puts you on an IV of morphine for 12 hours immediately following the procedure. And while they did take it out after 12 hours, I was still dopey for a good 36 hours afterwards. I was only give an oral dose of Percoset after I came off the IV and then was allowed to have her in my room unsupervised. I did not have any problems with nursing either.
I knew nothing of hospital policy before because the thought of a c-section never entered my mind. I have a wonderful OB group and never bothered to talk to them about a section because my DD only went breech 5 days after I was overdue! So when I was given the news, and told to go to the hospital, I spent 5 hours before the procedure sobbing over everything they had to tell. I was completely traumatized. I sent my DH home the night of the section to be with our 2.5 y/o DD despite having grandparents at the house. I didn't want him to sleep in one of those ridiculous chairs and I wanted him to bring our first to the hospital the very next day. All that added up to me not really spending the first 18 hours with my new baby because of the drugs and being flat on my back.
Despite that, I recovered faster with the section than I did with the vaginal. I ignored all the rules, left the hospital after 48 hours, only took the oral Percoset for 5 days, drove on day 7, went up and down the stairs a million times, and of course lifted up my oldest. I was in good physical shape and that makes all the difference in your recovery. I would probably do it again now that I know what to expect. And incidentally, I was up and about walking the floors after 24 hours. I made the mistake of showering and putting on my own clothes. I didn't look like I just had major surgery so I was not waited on in the hospital at all! And while that bothered me a bit, I realize now that walking and moving around did make a huge difference in a faster recovery.
Best of luck on whatever you decide!

Judegirl
03-21-2004, 02:35 AM
Hiya. I can't offer advice, because I haven't had my baby yet, but I'm having an elective c-section during the first week of May. There were no medical reasons when I requested it (who knows what will happen by then?), and my doctor is NOT part of the camp that supports this choice for women. Living in NYC, I was prepared to find another ob/gyn if necesary, but I was ultimately able to convince my doctor that this was the way to go for me. I had a hard time with it, though, and I'm quite sure she thinks I'm nuts now.

I'm trying to learn about recovery - I have no idea what to expect, and I'd never even heard about potential impacts on future fertility, so I guess I missed something in all my homework on the safety of the surgery.

Best of luck to you, and I will d omy best to come back and fill you in about my elective CS as soon as I can after the baby!

Jude

egoldber
03-21-2004, 02:31 PM
I would strongly urge you to read Henci Goer's "The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth". She has done an amazing job of summarizing decades of research on labor and delivery statistics. In her section on C-sections, she discusses many of the risk factors associated with C-section, including infection, uterine scarring (which is one of the ways that a C-section can lead to secondary infertility and which my OB who did my C-section thinks in likely in my case), and increased risks for ectopic pregnancies, placenta previa and other placental issues. Not to mention the increased risk for uterine rupture in subsequent pregnancies (regardless of whether or not you attempt to VBAC).

JElaineB
03-21-2004, 07:25 PM
Jude, I did not reply to the original poster because she only wanted positive c-section stories, but I have got to tell you I get a pit in my stomach when I hear someone say they want a primary c-section for absolutely no medical reason. WHY would you want do that to yourself? PLEASE read the book recommended by Beth. I know many people have no problems with c-sections but many, many do. You simply won't know if you are one of them until it has happened. I had a c-section and if I knew I absolutely would have to have another I would never consider having another baby. Most likely my c-section was necessary for the health of my baby (I will never know what would have happened without it of course), so I am glad the option is available, but if there is no medical reason, please, please reconsider.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

StaceyKim
03-21-2004, 08:03 PM
I had a c/s with my first. It was not planned but I had no pain during my labor (12 hours) and the baby was just not coming down because he was too big. I am electing to have a c/s with my 2nd. It was a positive experience although the pain afterwards was difficult for the first couple of weeks but I had a lot of help in those weeks. I like the fact that I can plan my delivery date especially with a baby at home already!
Good luck!

Rachels
03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
I agree. The risk of dying is two to four times higher for women with cesarean birth, and babies have a whole host of problems, too. You can choose this, but PLEASE take the time to educate yourself about what you're choosing.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

suribear
03-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Hmmm, have to admit it was hard for me to read this. I had a bad experience the first time and I can't imagine going through that without a medically indicated reason.

Just my honest opinion. I wish I had known more about c/s before I had one!

Kris

hovegator
03-22-2004, 02:48 PM
The risk of dying during a vaginal delivery is about 2 in 10,000. The risk of dying during a C/S is about 4 in 10,000. So if that is what you mean by an increased risk, i'm going to have to say i'm not too worried. :)

hovegator
03-22-2004, 02:51 PM
For the record, i did NOT say that i wanted only positive advice. I asked for advice from those how have had both and whether or not they would do it again. I simply did not want advice from those who felt that their OB "made" them have a C/S (which from my experience, i'm sure was for the safety of the baby and mother) or those who felt like a "failure" for not having given birth vaginally. Please feel free to respond either way. That is why i posted the question. Thanks!

lmariana
03-22-2004, 03:14 PM
I had a c-section because my OB said my pelvis was super narrow and coldn't fit a baby larger than 6 pounds. My original desire was to have a natural delivery, but after 12 hours of induced labor, I was thrilled to have that c-section.

For my next one, I will gladly schedule a c-section! I thought it was a wonderful experience. If anything, getting to stay in the hospital for the extended recovery period was a blessing! You have all those priceless resources available to you!

My recovery went really well, but I was very careful to take my pain medication on schedule. I was given two meds, the percocet and ibuprofen 800. The percocet is for surgery-related pain and should be taken on schedule (as needed). The IB 800 was for crapping pain, as the uterus shrunk down. The percocet is addictive though, so as you start to run low, begin to wean yourself off. I ended up in an awful percocet withdrawl, not knowing what was happening to me.

I got out of bed a lot at the hospital and was walking around the halls on the third day. It's really hard to get out of bed or sit up, so having someone to help you with that is super important. If you plan on breastfeeding, I would recommend that your husband room-in with you the whole time. You'll need that extra pair of hands to sit you up and help get the baby latched on.

I hope you get some good information and support on this board! Enjoy your delivery!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

JElaineB
03-22-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, my OB did not "make" me have a C/S, she tried very hard to give me the vaginal delivery I wanted. But it wasn't in the cards at that time, so I agreed to a c-section. The c-section itself wasn't that bad, really, I didn't enjoy dry heaving several times as they pulled my son out, but the whole process was over soon enough. What I didn't like was the recovery. When my son had medical issues immediately after birth I was unable to see him for 5 hours because I was essentially immobile because of the c-section. I had a nightmarish 12 weeks after that because of a bad recovery, with both bacterial and fungal infections at the incison site. Whether a c-section is completely elective or done for medical reasons that does not change that any person is suspectible to having an awful recovery experience like I did. You will not know what your recovery is like unitl it happens to you. I do not wish my experience on anyone.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jesseandgrace
03-22-2004, 03:50 PM
I'm glad you posted this. I have two kids, both delivered vaginally, and both labors were horrible. DS took 31 hours, and they would not give me an epidural for the first 12 hours. DD only took 4 hours, but the pain was so bad that I could not lift a finger - I had no space between contractions for either. DD needed forceps to get her out quickly because her heart rate went down. So, needles to say if we decide on #3 I am scared! Even though DD took less time the pain was unbearable, so I have thought about the possibility of an elective C-section. That said, I am not sure that I would do it because as horrible as these births were during the labor part, I actually (once epidural was in place) am glad that I delivered them. The feeling of them coming through the birth canal and coming out was amazing (not painful compared to the contractions). I'm not saying it was pleasurable, it was just an amazing experience. If I had to have c-sections on both that would be fine, but if I had a choice, that is not something I would give up, pain and all. The moment that someone says I see the head and then you feel it come out, and the shoulders follow seems like what it would feel like to reach the end of a marathon or something in first place. You feel proud, tired, happy, it is wonderful, and this is being said by a very non new age kind of person. Without an epidural I would be singing a different tune.

I would be happy to have a healthy baby through either method, but given the choice even after two horrific experiences with contractions, I would still go with the vaginal if my body were able. I will never forget the experience.

kransden
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
I had gestational diabetes. So the docs (I saw several high risk specialists) said I could try to go into labor and probably have a cs or just schedule the cs and be done with it. After having a little grieving about not being able have the "normal" childbirth experience, I opted for a cs. I would like to state for the record it was great and will do it again! I was wheeled to the operating room about 5:15 pm and had a baby 30 minutes later. I had a spinal block and some drugs later. The next morning I was up walking, per the nurses. By that afternoon I hurt like heck, but knew I could walk so I went ahead and did it. I felt back to normal in a week. I am a big baby when it comes to pain, so I am not sugar coating it.

I orginally was worried about the cs because most of the people I know that had them had bad experiences. After having my own, I realized only the people that had to have them as opposed to a scheduled one were the unhappy ones. A dr. is more likely to make a mistake when the baby is going to die v.s. a routine surgery.

Just my 2 cents,

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

Rachels
03-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Well, I'd guess that those numbers mean something to the families of those four women. Also, the risk of death for babies is higher-- four per thousand. Add in the risks around uterine rupture, infection, respiratory distress syndrome, babies being cut during surgery, breastfeeding difficulties, fertility problems, blood loss, damage to the rectum and bladder, anesthesia risks, and premature delivery, and making this choice becomes a bigger deal.

Cesarean section is an incredible technology. It's necessary and vital-- but for no more than 10% - 12% of births (per WHO recommendations). Our rate is closer to 26%, and it's part of the reason we're shockingly high on the list of countries in terms of mortality rates for moms and babies. Used as designed, for emergencies, it's a wonderful technology, and absolutely justifies the risk. Used without medical justification, it may be needlessly dangerous. It's just worth learning about before you do it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nathansmom
03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
I had an emergency csection after being induced. Had I known what was going to happen I would have elected to done a csection to begin with. Right after delivery ds and I were rushed to icu's. I was not allowed to see him for almost 12 hours. If I'm lucky enough to have another one I plan on having an elective csection. My doctor is willing to try a vbac (and he does and encourages vbacs) however in my case he has suggested a repeat csection.

gremlin44
03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Most of my c-section went fine.

However, after my son was delivered and the placenta delivered, my uterus totally shut down. It was completely limp (total uterine atony) and would not contract. I ended up on the operating table for three more hours and lost nearly 2 liters of blood. The doctors were about five minutes away from performing a hysterctomy (I was 29 and it was my first child), when they called in a back up ob/gyn who was the only doctor in the area who knew how to perform a new procedure that was their last ditch hope.

Luckily that doctor was able to come in and their "Hail Mary" attempt worked, but just barely. I still have my uterus, but my recovery from the surgery took months (try 9) not weeks.

Severe post partum hemmorghing and uterine atony are possible side effects/reactions to a C-section, but they never seem to be mentioned by most physicians to their patients.

stella
03-22-2004, 11:23 PM
I have had two c-sections and teh second was elective - 17 months (to the day) after the first. I loved them. Really.

With the first, I had been in labor 12 hours and had stopped dilating at a 4. And started to get fever, so at midnight had an emergency (I guess) c-section. I never heard it quantified as such, but everyone was very serious and businesslike and just focused on getting that baby OUT quickly.

He was healthy and I was sore for a few days, but recovered very quickly.

Second child, I had had a good experience with the first - and they don't recommend vbac less than 18 months after the first, so I elected the cesarean. My doctor said the c-sections were more dangerous when the mother was in labor - safer when scheduled. It was scheduled, I went in, had the IV, had the spinal, within 15 minutes of entering the OR, there was the baby. And she, too, was healthy and perfect. And my recovery was great - except for two things:

1. If you don't keep up with your pain medication, it is harder to control the pain. In other words, you should try to time your meds so that you stay ahead of the pain. Having said that, taking the Lortab they prescribed made me feel TOO good and I would become exhausted easily because I was doing too much - not accepting the pain as a warning to stop and rest.

2. Our whole family contracted a stomach bug and I had it 4 days after the surgery. Vomiting (and the other digestive symptom of a stomach virus) is VERY hard on a fresh abdominal incision.

Laughing also is very hard on a fresh abdominal incision and DH had rented movies for us. But overall, it was a good experience and I would not hesitate to do it again.

(I didn't know that it was really "allowed" to elect one from the beginning with no medical reason so I don't know what I would have elected had I been presented with a choice from the very beginning!)

mom2kandj
03-23-2004, 12:29 PM
VBACs are possible with less than 18 months after a previous CS. While uterine rupture is a possibility, the numbers are much lower due to changes in the incisions used today. FWIW, my kids are 16+ months apart and our main concern about a VBAC was uterine rupture. Our very pro VBAC doctor informed us that in 35 years of practice, the only uterine ruptures that he had ever seen were in the 70's and that he had only seen two in his career. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

stella
03-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Rose - did you have a vbac with Jack?

suribear
03-23-2004, 02:10 PM
To anyone preparing for a c/s, be prepared for shivering. apparently it's quite common. The first time I had a c/s after a long labor so attributed it to that. BUT I had violent shivering the second c/s, which was scheduled! (my vbac attempt didn't pan out)

Anyway, I ended up having to use relaxation techniques to calm me down, and my doula, then dh, were there to distract me and hold my hand. The anesthesiologist was very comforting, too, but I still had it bad. I had this fear of moving while they cut. I think it was due to hormones, nerves, the cold OR and who knows what else.

Kris

mom2kandj
03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Sorry! Yes, Jack was a successful VBAC babe! :) Beyond the concern for uterine rupture, we really pushed for a VBAC knowing that I wouldn't have a lot of help with the babies after Jack's birth and the recovery time. Even though DD was only about 22lbs at 16 months, it was still more weight than the doctor wanted me to carry if I was to have a CS. FWIW, DD was delivered by CS due to fetal distress(her heart rate plummetted 3x within a few hours) and not anything that would rule me out for a vaginal delivery. Once again, I'm totally committed to VBAC for any future deliveries, but would not hesitate to have a CS if it became necessary. HTH!

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

Judegirl
03-23-2004, 05:05 PM
C-section statistics are unreliable because they do not control for emergency c-sections. The 4 in 10,000 risk of death to the mother, and the widely-available statistics on increased risks, death included, to the baby, do NOT exclude emergency c-sections, which are far, far riskier than planned c-sections.

The risk of harm to the baby and the the mother is significantly higher when her water has broken, when contractions have begun, and, of course, when a situation arises during a vaginal birth that requires a shift to an emergency C-section.

The risk of non-emergency C-sections begun before labor begins (which is the norm in many Asian countries) to the baby is thought to be lower than the risk of the vaginal birth. The trip down the birth canal is an unpredictable one, and can be violent and dangerous.

For the mother, the risk of death during a planned C-section in a hospital is no greater than the risk of death during a vaginal delivery in a hospital, and the risk of infection (at the incision site) is higher. However, the risks of uterine prolapse, and permanent incontinence later in life are lower.

I can appreciate everyone's concern, but the decision to have a c-section or a vaginal birth is a very personal one. Some of the responses here seemed less than mindful of that, and so I felt compelled to offer a counter-point.

I'm also happy to hear both positive and negative stories. Nevertheless, to the women here who loved their C-section births, thank you for being brave enough to tell us so!

Best,
Jude

Rachels
03-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Yes, it's a personal decision. Like any other, it should be a well-informed one, particularly when you're talking about something that affects your health and safety. I personally think it's really sad that so many in this country have bought into the notion that birth is inherently dangerous and that women just aren't able to do it all that often without major medical intervention. There is no well-constructed research that shows that to be true. The idea that medically unjustified major surgery is safer for a woman or her baby than normal birth is a fallacy, and it just isn't demonstrated anywhere. If a woman chooses a surgical birth without medical cause, I think it's pretty important that she know what she is choosing. Yes, the risks are small, but they're there, and some of them are incredibly dangerous.

But by all means, don't take my word for it. Look up Henci Goer, who has done an unbelievable job of summarizing hundreds and hundreds of studies. Look up the W.H.O. coalition for maternal and child health, and look up their recommendations for childbirth practices. Look up Robbie Davis-Floyd, who knows the research inside out and spends her life writing and speaking about the cultural reaction to medical birth.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Imperia
03-23-2004, 10:36 PM
I agree that it' a personal choice, and I tried to stay out of this whole topic, however, your choice of wording:

The trip down the birth canal is an unpredictable one, and can be violent and dangerous.

I found a little strange. I do not think birth is "violent". I worked as a surgery tech (yes it was veterinary, but it still counts) and trust me surgically opening up the abdominal cavity is A LOT more violent than birth which is a natural process. Obviously, sometimes c-sections are necessary such as in the case of cephalopelvic dis- proportion, however, many C sections are given today because it is easier for the doctor and they are worried about being sued. My mother had TWO babies breech presentation (Frank breech and footling) without a c section either time. If you can deliver a baby's BUTT vaginally you can deliver most babies even large ones.

I will admit, a c section sounded sort of tempting while I was pregnant...no labor, you get the baby so much faster. Then I talked to my friend who has one and I saw the woman next to me in the recovery post partum unit drugged up on morphine so that she couldn't even walk let alone take care of her baby. I know this i probably not always the case, but I swear I felt pretty normal the day after my delivery. I only took one dose of ibuprophen after and that was that. I had been worried, as well, that I wouldn't be "the same" after the baby if you know what I mean. Well, it's 7 weeks later and I can't even tell the difference compared to pre baby!

Imperia

hovegator
08-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Just thought i would update everyone on my experience since this thread caused quite a discussion back in March. On July 28th, i delivered a beautiful 8lb 13 oz baby boy by primary elective c-section and i'd do it again! True, it was a bit painful the second day, but it has gotten better every day and i am thankful for my "intact perineum". I strolled in at 0600 and had my baby at 0809. Looks like i would have ended up with an induction (and probably failed) considering i hadn't dilated or effaced AT ALL at 39 weeks. i am grateful to my OB who supported my decision to avoid labor and a vaginal delivery through the whole pregnancy.

What i found most shocking and surprising were the unsolicted opinions of some of my "friends" regarding my choice. I'd offer this advice...this is a personal issue and if you don't have anything nice or supportive to say to a friend or family member, don't say anything at all. One reason i posted here was to get opinions from people who don't know me well and are free to voice their true opinions. And i thank you all for that. I have learned from this and being quite an opinionated person myself, have curbed my habit. :)

jasabo
08-16-2004, 12:18 AM
Congratulations on the birth of your son!! And I'm so glad you had a good c/s experience. I, too, had a wonderful experience with an elective c/s with my twins, which I chose to do primarily because I didn't want to risk going through a vaginal birth for the first and needing a c/s for the second. Oy!! We were very fortunate - the twins and I went home 48 hrs after their birth and my recovery was wonderful. 14 months later, I'm still glad I went that route and am also very, very happy to have my intact perineum :)

I agree with you - it's a very personal decision and it never ceases to amaze me how people - friends or even complete strangers - are willing to offer their unsolicited opinions about your birth method.

Anyway, so happy that you're home with a healthy baby boy :)

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

ktdid74
08-16-2004, 07:50 AM
Congrats on your baby! I had 2 c/s (first for breech, second was elective repeat). My experiences were great both times. I was walking the halls the same day I had my DD. I hardly needed any pain meds, just took my Ibuprofen. Went home on day 3 and was climbing stairs (no choice there) doing laundry, vacuuming and driving a few days later. Hope you have a great recovery! Take it easy and enjoy this time with your tiny baby :)

stillplayswithbarbies
08-16-2004, 12:34 PM
>i am thankful for my "intact perineum".

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Most people who give birth vaginally have an intact perineum as well.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

parkersmama
08-16-2004, 12:46 PM
Congrats on your birth! It sounds like you had a very good experience and I'm glad for you.

I did want to warn you about something that completely shocked me following my c-setion (not elective, breech presentation) and that no one warned me about. I figured having a c-setion would mean that the *one* thing I wouldn't have to worry about was painful sex but boy was I wrong! It was awful! I guess from having those muscles cut and the uterus being injured from surgery it just made it painful. Sex was painful for me for about the first 6-7 months after my c-section. Comparatively, after my 1st VBAC (small 1st degree tear) and my second VBAC (larger 2nd degree tear), there was almost no pain during sex at all even the first time after the births. I say this not to convince you one way or the other about VBAC vs. c-sections and all that stuff but just to let you know that an "intact perineum" doesn't necessarily guarantee you pain-free sex after a birth. I certainly hope your experience will be different since it was *not* pleasant! :)

sntm
08-16-2004, 02:28 PM
And actually, having not dilared or effaced at 39 weeks would not have necessitated an induction nor implied a failure of induction.

Your decision was your decision to make, but please be careful of propogating misinformation, especially as a HCP.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 14 months and counting

Melanie
08-16-2004, 02:50 PM
I am glad that you had the birth experience that you so desired.

I delivered vaginally at 40 weeks after being not effaced or dialted at 39 weeks, just fine with an intact perineum. I know the thought of a torn perenium is scary, but there are ways to avoid it even with a vaginal birth.

Good Luck to you.

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif

LucyG
08-16-2004, 02:52 PM
ITA, Denise! I've had one c-section (hope to have a VBAC next time, whenever that is), but I found sex very painful following it. Like you, I was shocked by that! It got better, but it took some time.

tinkerbell1217
08-16-2004, 02:58 PM
I had one with my DS after a 24 hour L&D with DD that ended in me having a fever and her getting stuck crooked and only dilating to 5cm. I am having another repeat C/S this time and wouldn't do it any other way. I think its familiarity, for me anyway. I know what to expect, how to move afterwards, what positions feel okay and what doesn't. My doc is very supportive and I can plan our lives and schedules around it instead of going into labor spontaneously while my older kids are in school! I would much rather have my baby's birth planned, know the day, go in and have my epidural or spinal and have my baby. The second C/S was only 18 months after the first so uterine rupture was a concern, but this time its been years and although I did contemplate going VBAC I chickened out and went with what I know!

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-16-2004, 03:30 PM
What wonderful news!!!!
It sounds like you did wonderful!!!!!
Enjoy your your little one it is such a great time!!!!

Big hugs,

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD #2 3/18/05 as of 8/10 things looking "great"
*Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine IF INS gets us paperwork intime (cross fingers)

Rachels
08-16-2004, 04:22 PM
I'm glad you had the birth you wanted and that your little one is here! Congratulations.

I do continue to be dismayed at the vehemence with which you're spreading misinformation. Add me to the list of people who had vaginal births with intact perineums, no induction necessary, no unnecessary risks of major surgery to myself or my child. Vaginal birth is normal and safe.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/2/character39.gif

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif Two years and counting!

Judegirl
08-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I had an elective C-section simply because I wanted it that way. It was a breeze, and I'd do it again in a hearbeat. They handed my dd to me 12 minutes after it started, and two days later I felt better than I had in months. The first day was hard, but not as bad as I expected. I took Percoset (sp?) the first few times they offered it, at half the dosage, and then Tylenol sufficed. And I'm a big baby.

I recommend C-sections to everyone I meet. If only my pregnancy had been as easy as my C-section delivery... :)

Elective C-sections, btw, are a WHOLE different ball game than emergency, or even medically indicated ones. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; there have only been two studies that controlled for the difference in risks between the different kinds of C-sections, and both were in Sweden (or maybe Switzerland - I'd have to look it up.) Anyway, each found that in elective C-sections, the mortality rate for the mother was the same as vaginal birth, (ETA this clause:), the risk of other injury to the mother were lower than in vaginal birth, and the risks of injury to the fetus were lower than in vaginal birth.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Jude

Sarah1
08-16-2004, 11:43 PM
CONGRATS on your baby! That is great news!

Not to offend, but just to be honest--about you finding your friends' opinions shocking--if I had a friend who was considering an elective c-section, I'd wonder why. I would feel the same way about an elective c-section as I would feel about any other kind of elective surgery, KWIM? If it isn't necessary, why do it? That's probably where your friends were coming from. So, I wouldn't be too upset at your friends as I'm sure they have your best interest at heart (i hope). That said, I'm sure you had your reasons, and I'm really glad your baby is doing so well! Congrats again.

sntm
08-17-2004, 09:30 AM
I'd be interested in seeing these studies. Could you post or PM me the sources? Did they also look at long-term complications, like adhesions, small bowel obstructions, placenta accreta, etc.? Did they look at breastfeeding rates after C-section vs after vaginal delivery?

I'm just really surprised by the results. I'm a surgeon, and I would NEVER recommend a medically unnecessary surgery, especially after some experiences I've had.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

sugarsnappea
08-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Shannon,

just wondering, what is a HCP? :)

sntm
08-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Sorry, Health Care Provider. The OP had stated she is an RN.
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

JulieL
08-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Ok I read up to page 4 and didn't see this brought up so I am posting it.

I have heard that if you plan on having more than 2 children than having multiple c-sections is not a good prior choice. From every c-section you get scarring, so if you want more than 2 children I would definately speak to your doctor about that.

I personally had a c-section. It was basically elective. I was 4 days from due date when I went in for my checkup to find my son had become breech in the last week. My doctor suggested I have a planned c-section to keep from having an emergency one. Yes some babies do turn, but that wasn't a risk I was wanting to take so the next day I delivered in 13 minutes. I plan on having another c/s if I get pg again. But I will talk to my doctor quite openly to see if she suggests a VBAC over a c/s. DH and I want 2 kids and if we change our mind or God Forbid one of them dies we want to adopt. So scar tissue won't be an issue. Just another thing to give thought to.

JulieL
08-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Shannon: since your are a surgeon, is this correct info?

>>I have heard that if you plan on having more than 2 children
>than having multiple c-sections is not a good prior choice.
>From every c-section you get scarring, so if you want more
>than 2 children I would definately speak to your doctor about
>that.
>
>

chasing3chases
08-18-2004, 01:57 AM
I am not Shannon, but have had 3 c sections and hope to have one more. My doctor said I could keep going after our 3rd was born even though I had adhesions and a small hole forming due to being in labor prior to his birth. He didn't seem concerned with the hole forming, we discussed it while he was doing the surgery. I told him if it would be risky to have more children, to do a tubal ligation, but he said I would be fine, I just didn't realize what I was feeling was labor, not Braxton Hicks. I had my 3 kids one after another (they are 3, 17 months and 5 months) and had normal pregnancies, but I fear my tummy will never be the same. I guess I can handle a little flab in exchange for 3 perfect children :)
Tami in Michigan with Veronica, Noah & Ben (& DH Dave!)

Judegirl
08-18-2004, 03:33 AM
LOL I'm totally confused about why I have two posts on this thread...it must be a resurrected thread? I'm sorry about that!

Anyway, I've already had my C-section, so I can't reconsider. And no, it's not for everyone...but for me, at least this time, I cannot imagine a more pleasant and peaceful way to give birth. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I'm sorry that this causes some people distress, but very glad that I can choose to do things even under those circumstances. :)

Best,
Jude

Judegirl
08-18-2004, 03:36 AM
OOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I'm so sorry; I completely didn't get it!

Congratulations!!! I'm very happy for both of you! And now I'll get my nose out of your thread - I thought it was a different one!

:)
Jude

Judegirl
08-18-2004, 03:43 AM
Sure, Shannon - here they are. Again, there is very little that controls for elective vs. emergency/necessary, but these two are a start:

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/openurl?genre=article&sid=nlm:pubmed&issn=0001-6349&date=2003&volume=82&issue=9&spage=834

Quote:
"In the 147 elective CS (103 based on medical and 44 on psychological factors), a significantly lower rate of maternal and fetal complications was observed when compared with vaginal birth (5.4% vs. 19.3%; p < 0.0001). Birth experience (Salmon test) was significantly better in elective CS compared with vaginal delivery, but worse in women with emergency CS and worst in those with vacuum delivery."

http://www.paediatrie-links.de/elective_cesarean.pdf

I have another somewhere in hard copy - I'll try to find the link.

HTH,
Jude

sntm
08-18-2004, 12:37 PM
Multiple c-sections are supposed to be riskier, but I honestly don't know how the risks increase or after how many c-sections. I'll try to look it up (busy day today -- I need to get back to work!)

Jude -- I can read the articles online. Thanks for posting them!
shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

hovegator
08-27-2004, 07:32 PM
i can tell you that the risk of placenta accreta increases with every c/s and that the chance of accreta in one's second pregnancy (after a primary c/s) is about 10%. OBs in general do not suggest an elective c/s if the patient is planning a large family. I do not have stats on "other complications" handy to give you.

i personally only plan to have two children, so the odds are pretty good for me. i went into the procedure aware of all risks though.

And to clear up something, i never said that all NSVDs result in torn perineums!!! I'm sorry if i was misunderstood. i simply said that i was glad not to have had one (which was guaranteed by having a c/s). And maybe "intact" was not the correct term. "Untouched" might have been better. :)