PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! Lead in my everyday dishes!

AJsMom
03-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Mostly I am posting this as an FYI...

I live in an old house which has had some renovation done lately. I had my lead inspector come back to do some dust samples and check some of my MIL's older plates (that I thought looked like lead- the crackled appearance). Well, he checked the plates and most were positive, so I thought I would check my new everyday plates (and other dishes) for the heck of it, and they were positive too! I cannot tell you how upset I am! Luckily DS generally does not eat off these plates yet, but I use them everyday and have heated his food on them often. So, we are basically eating off plastic plates right now and are going to try to return the sets (both sets we registered for were positive). Now I need to find a set that is lead-free, which is difficult.

From the little reading I have done so far, CA is tough on lead in dinnerware, so allows very low lead levels at the most, but there are "acceptable" not-so-low lead levels for all other states. Anything imported becomes an issue. My plates were from Portugal and Italy, MIL's from England.

Just thought everyone should be aware that though we may try to make everything as safe as possible, we can still find hazards under noses! I am a nut about lead paint (I know I am not alone on that one), so the dishes thing really got me!

FYI, our sets that were positive were from Crate & Barrel (Gallery and Pearl are the names). I do not know anything about lead in dishes, how much leaches out and under what circumstances, so any info is appreciated. My usual policy is ZERO tolerance for lead, which is why I'm ISO new dishes.

HTH someone!

Kristen

ColorBlue
03-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Wow..I am totally shocked...I never thought about lead in new dishes I always thought it was older ones...makes me want to have our dishes checked.

If you learn anything new please post it!

Tracy

dd Grace 11/01

Rachels
03-16-2004, 04:33 PM
YIKES! We have C & B dishes, too. This scares the crap out of me. Off to research...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Melanie
03-16-2004, 06:20 PM
Oh my goodness! I'm going to see if I can find out if ours have lead, too.

Thanks for sharing.

trumansmom
03-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Rachel-

Will you post what you find out about the C&B dishes? That's what we use as well.

Thanks!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

gisele
03-16-2004, 07:22 PM
Very general rule but usually plates with blue, esp a nice sharp blue has lead in it.

In CA, plates that are sold in CA with lead have a yellow warning sticker on the back (on the display). If the plates from C&B are sold in CA, then chances are they are safe to use (at least nothing to worry about from previous use). Even plates with the yellow warning in CA have low lead levels. So don't worry about what's already happened.

Check out http://www.edf.org/article.cfm?ContentID=952 for more info.

AJsMom
03-16-2004, 09:58 PM
Well, I talked to an Amy in CS at C&B and she tried to be helpful, but..... She checked with management and let me know that all C&B dinnerware meets the FDA and CA standards for lead. When asked, she said they couldn't find documentation in her location to support these claims. She also told me there is no pattern I can buy that won't have lead in it (ANYWHERE, not just C&B). Therefore, of course I get the dishes and no refund. I still am not sure I am happy with the "allowable" lead level in my dishes, so may continue to pursue this.

I am continuing my research. If anyone else has any luck or finds good information, please pass it along. For now, here is web site I am currently reading:

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/1998/198_lead.html

There are many others also, but I am sure you are all *at least* as internet savvy as I am!
Kristen