PDA

View Full Version : 1st day back didn't go well : (

lmintzer
03-16-2004, 07:37 PM
My first day back to work lived up to fears for it. Jack did very well, but poor little Joshua was a wreck. He balked at his bottles, only taking 2 oz. in the morning and refusing entirely for a while in the afternoon and then taking 1/2 oz. at a time for a total for the day of 3 3/4. He wouldn't sleep. My nanny walked him and rocked him for the entire time Jack was napping (an hour and a half), and he just cried, screamed hysterically, or fell asleep for 5 minutes at a time.

By the time I came home, he was calm (she had taken them for a car ride) and not crying from hunger. I asked about dirty and wet dipes, and she said he'd had 2 small poops and 1 really wet diaper and 1 damp diaper. Not too bad for as little as he ate.

I'm not actually worried about the poor milk intake--I know he'll make up for it.

I'm more concerned about just how miserable and unsoothable (is that a word?) he was and the fact that my nanny was crying because he wasn't eating. I am glad she is such a sensitive, caring person, but the image of the crying caregiver just wasn't a good one for me to be left with. I am all in favor of tears and not holding feelings in--but as a mom, I guess I have a double standard. I want to be able to picture safe, stable environment while I'm gone. Maybe this isn't fair. It was just the first day.

Now I dread going back on Thurs. because I'm going to be gone 10-11 hours (as compared to the 8 I was gone today).

Why does everything with my babies have to feel so hard? When do I get cut some slack?

Sorry for the downer of a message. . . I'm just feeling bummed right now.

votre_ami03
03-16-2004, 07:44 PM
(((Lisa))) Hugs to you sweetie! I am sorry it was a bummer of a day. I would wait & see, maybe Thu will be better? It does take some time. I am sure her stress didn't help any, but it sounds like everyone was anxious about the big day.

How did you do overall though? Were you okay?

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

mamahill
03-16-2004, 07:52 PM
Hang in there! It will get better. I know the crying nanny doesn't sound like a positive environment to you, but there have been several times *I* have cried right along with Ainsleigh if she is upset and not eating. Trying to get her to take a bottle was miserable. So I wouldn't think less of the caregiver for doing the same. She is very emotionally involved and, I'm sure, will share laughter AND tears with your children. May the laughter FAR outnumber the tears in the days to come.

Melanie
03-16-2004, 07:58 PM
Lisa, I'm so sorry. If your nanny was crying out of empathy for your little one (and not exhaustion or for herself), I think you've found a wonderful caring person.

Does your tiny one like walks? That might relax him to sleep and then she could just leave him in the stroller to nap.

I hope Thursday goes better.

bluej
03-16-2004, 08:42 PM
I'm sorry things didn't go well. I agree, it sounds like your nanny had tears of concern and not frustration. That's a good thing. As for when are you going to get cut some slack...when we have all moved on to the Baby Bargain Teen Boards your boys will probably be the dream teens and some of us will have less than sweet teens! I hope Thursday goes better for everyone.

TaChapm2
03-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Hugs! I'm so sorry things didn't go well. It may take awhile to adjust, but your nanny sounds great. Hopefully things will start looking up in the comming days. It has to be hard to go through. I can't even imagine. Hang in there!
Tara
Mommy to Jackson (11-10-02)

jd11365
03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Oh you poor thing...and poor baby Joshua too! I know it will get better! It's just a new routine...babies take time to adjust to new routines...Joshua will soon adjust...I know you just hate to see him upset...I don't blame ya.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

papal
03-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Lisa.. so sorry you and Joshua had a bad day... it really sounds like your nanny is a very caring person. I am sure things will improve in the days to come.. hang in there!!

jec2
03-16-2004, 11:53 PM
So sorry you all had a rough go. I bet a good-night's sleep and lots of cuddling will help. I understand the stress. I only work a few hours a week and DH gets to take care of DS then. But, it is pretty much the same situation. Both usually wind up crying and the bottle is full when I get home.

McQ
03-17-2004, 11:04 AM
So sorry to hear that it didn't go well. First days are usually the worst. Things WILL get better!

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04