PDA

View Full Version : My b-day party location is booked...suggestions?

jd11365
03-17-2004, 06:24 PM
OK, Kayla's b-day is May 1st...a Saturday, so we figure it's perfect to have a real birthday party since it falls on a weekend and will be easy for friends and family to attend. But where I thought I was going to have it...the lakefront pavillion which is in front of our local playround is booked by the Boyscouts for the entire weekend. Any suggestions on another place. I would have it at the house, but it's just not right for parties...we have decent sq. footage...about 1,700, but the main areas are split into a living room and family room so it's hard to have many people together in one room... There would be about 10 couples and 7 babies... I know, I know, too many people...but it is what it is... Any suggestions?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jamsmu
03-17-2004, 06:32 PM
Jamie, in what part of the country do you live? do you want it to be outside?

A friend had hers at the local fire company. They did a lot of decorating, but it was good for cold weather. Are there other parks around your area?

khakismom
03-17-2004, 07:33 PM
What about the weekend before or the weekend after? Kathleen just had her birthday party over a week ago--because that's when my parents were in town--even though her actual birthday isn't until next week. (It worked great this time, but I don't think I can do it anymore, because she woke up the day of her party and asked "Am I three today?" :) Uh, no sweetie...)

jd11365
03-17-2004, 09:59 PM
Well, DH said "Don't worry...it will come to you." I was like...thanks a lot. But it did! We got married at Mickey's Retreat at Disneyworld...a cast member (employee) location with a lake, pools, sand volleyball, basketball, playground, open and closed pavillions... I have a message into them....I really hope I can get the day...it's such a fantastic place...I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier! Other than that, I'm taking Kathleen's advice I think and doing it the following weekend when lakeside park is available. Sorry for the stupid question...It's just that when the parks and rec people told me no today, I had a moment where I couldn't think and the days are just going by so quickly...how stupid...over a birthday party...it's not a wedding for heaven's sake!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jamsmu
03-17-2004, 10:02 PM
How cool!!! That will be so fun! are you or DH at cast member? What an amazing place to work, I bet! And I'm sure your wedding was... well... magical!!!

jd11365
03-17-2004, 10:14 PM
No, but my step-mother does (that makes me family) and I had the very first wedding there so hopefully they won't give me a hard time. Oooh, now I'm excited! I hope I can do this now. And yes, I had a magical wedding...but there is no trace of Disney there...other than being immaculate. It was outdoors overlooking the lake and when it was over everyone got into their swimsuits and shorts and went swimming or played basketball or volleyball...it was awesome...except I never saw my DH...he was having too much fun playing basketball with his brothers and friends! (I thought that was great...we had a blast!) Disney catered, so it was delicious...a barbque...because of the relaxed outdoor reception... I wish I had a digital picture to share, but they didn't really have those things just 4 1/2 years ago!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

jamsmu
03-17-2004, 10:18 PM
I know it won't be til May, but please post pics!!!

jd11365
03-18-2004, 07:14 PM
Well, ix-nay on the irthday-bay at isney-Day...UGH! Basically, it has to me me working at Disney...they have much tighter security restrictions now than when I got married 5 years ago...daggummit...you even have to sign contracts...FTLOG!

Back to square 1.

I really, really, really don't want this shindig at the house...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03

August Mom
03-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Could your step-mother (i.e. "Grandma") book it herself and fit within the requirements?

jd11365
03-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Turns out...shows how much I know...the step-mother doesn't work there anymore...she was seasonal to begin with (once a month to keep benefits like passes to Disney) so it's not like I was a complete idiot and didn't know she officially didn't work there anymore... ;)

My neighbors originally offered to do it too, but you have to be there a half hour before guests arrive and stay until all is cleaned up and signed off by the Disney staff... I don't know if my neighbors would be up to that...kinda a lot to ask of a neighbor...even though they were invited anyway...being there early and staying afterward seems kinda much to ask...

This is just so rediculous... MIL, BIL and his fiance (hey whats the code for that one?) are now driving all the way down from Pennsylvania, so I can't give up on the shindig idea quite yet, and can't change the date to the following weekend...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
May '03