PDA

View Full Version : OT: Does anybody use Avery labels?

Rachels
03-17-2004, 06:31 PM
And if so, can you give me a quick tutorial? We have some labels that are big enough to include my husband's company name, etc. as return address and still have room for the mailing address. But I can't figure out how to get both on there without having to retype every individual label. What I want is to be able to do a mail merge with the 300 names in our Contacts, but also put his return address on the label. Between Outlook and Word and Avery Design Pro or Avery Wizard, I still can't figure it out.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jamsmu
03-17-2004, 06:47 PM
Here's what I do:
1. Start with the list of clients in MS Excel (make sure you have a header line, ie last name, first name, street address, city, etc.) Save it.
2. Open Word, select tools, mail merge
3. select: create, mailing labels, active window
4. select: get data, open source
5. browse to find your source (saved excel file from #1--you'll need to change your file type from word files to all files)
6. Named or cell range, I always say "whole document."
7. say ok to set up main document (or what ever it says...)
8. Label options: scroll to find the right ones. The label number should match, but if not, you'll need to create a custom label. This is tedious with measuring it perfectly, so I hope you find the label number. Click ok
9. Now you'll have a sample label on the screen. Type your husband's company name, address, etc. Then, skip a line, type some spaces, however you would like to separate your return address from your mailing addresses. Now click on insert merge field, Select first name, press the space bar, click on insert merge field, select last name, press enter and spaces to align correctly, click on insert merge field, select street address, press enter and spaces to align correctly, etc. until you have what will look like the mailing address.
10. If you want, include postal barcode. Otherwise, say ok to finish.
11. Select Merge, then merge again on the next screen.
12. It will merge. If it doesn't all fit, type "ctrl-A" and hilight the page, then change the font size/format/etc. to make it all fit. Or change each label individually -- that would take way too long for me!!

HTH--good luck!!