PDA

View Full Version : Hands down, the best chicken tortilla soup I've ever had...

jamsmu
03-17-2004, 11:02 PM
and I've had a lot of chicken tortilla soups. I got this recipe off the back of the On the Border Chips bag, and adapted it.

1/2 cup salsa (I used Sams, it recommends On the Border)
2 large, ripe avocados, mashed iwth 3 T salsa (I skipped this and used SAMS guacamole, which is incredible!!)
3 14 oz cans of chicken broth
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
4 Tablespoons uncooked rice
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese (I used Mexican Shredded Cheese)

Heat chicken broth to boil in a large saucepan. Add chicken breast halves, reduce heat and cook until chicken is opaque. Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces. Add salsa and rice to broth. Cook about 15 minutes until rice is tender. Return chicken to sauce pan, add 1/2 of the chopped onion. Simmer 5 minutes. Just before serving add remaining onion and cilantro. To serve, break a small handful of chips into the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over tortilla chips. Top with cheese and 1 rounded Tablespoon of avocado (or guac.) Serve immediately with additional chips or salsa if necessary. Serves 4

Actually, this was about 7 servings for us. Also, the guacamole changes the consistency and makes it thicker. So if you stir it in, you have a creamier soup. We started with teaspoons, and ended up liking it with a Tablespoon.

Enjoy!
Julie

llcoddington
03-17-2004, 11:50 PM
Thanks for posting this recipe! I love tortilla soup and have a few good recipes. Will make this soon.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03