PDA

View Full Version : Very OT-But I'm on bedrest and need help choosing a kitchen floor!

nofeea
03-17-2004, 11:58 PM
Actually, I need to choose a gizzillion other things for our new house also but my first issue is the kitchen floor!
( :7 Sorry, I know this is long but... )
Here's my situation:
DH and I bought a house that needs major renovations. We were hoping to move in before Baby #2 arrives in June but it definitely won't be ready. Meanwhile, I'm supposed to have everything (walls, floors,etc.) chosen so that the contractor can come as close to the target date as possible. This has just become really difficult since my OB has recommended bedrest for me.
Here's my floor dilemma:
DH and I both love the look of stone floor tiles in the kitchen. BUT I don't want to get them since I'm too nervous about toddlers getting hurt on the hard surface. As it is, I'm neurotic every time I have DD (now 16 mos) with me visiting anyone with ceramic or marble floors. I also don't like the fact that everything breaks on stone and that it's so hard on your back and knees. I thought I'd solved my problem by finding Congoleum Durastone tiles (a vinyl 'fake' stone)but then I heard that some people have had problems with it. I'm having trouble finding more information about that. I'm certainly up for considering other choices but I can't go out and look at anything in person! I'm also considering a wood floor since it's also soft(softer than stone) but I can't get the dream of a "stone look" out of my system!
Anyone out there have experience with DuraStone or have any other recommendations? Any and all input is appreciated!!:)

papal
03-18-2004, 12:07 AM
Disclaimer: I know nothing about flooring but saw this on tv and thought it was way cool. Hope other people can weigh in on durability and maintenance etc.

Ok, what i saw was Cork Flooring. It looked like tile/stone and according to the tv show it is much easier on your feet unlike tile.
Also, with the new kinds they have now, cleaning is a breeze (unlike wood which supposedly you have to use special oils or some such).

Just a thought. Once again.. i know nothing.. this is just from TV Land. :)

ETA: Here is a link:
http://www.earthwisefloor.com/brand_206/Cork-Flooring/Eurocork-Cork-Floor.html

2ETA: Just remembered, it was Designer's Challenge

ismommy
03-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Hi,
We are redoing our kitchen and playroom and after looking at tons of flooring options are going with Mannington laminate. I think its called natural form. The one we chose looks like slate but tere were different ones. We had looked into cork but heard conflicting things about it and moisture so decided against it for the kitchen.
HTH
Helene
mommy to Isabella

ColorBlue
03-18-2004, 12:37 PM
I second the cork recommendation, it looks very nice, is soft on the feet and resilient which means any dents pop back up. Great for toddlers falling and dropping things. Similar cleanup and maintenance to wood.

Also I would recommend linoleum. Not vinyl sheets but actual old fashioned linoleum. Armstrong has it and so does forbo. Its a green product meaning made from natural ingredients as opposed to vinyl. Comes in tiles or sheets.

We seriously considered linoleum but decided that it was a touch too expensive for our kitchen. The kitchen is really old and we wanted to do a five year update...meaning we will rip the whole thing out in five years. So we didn't want to spend a lot of money. We got vct which is vinyl commercial tile in a checkerboard. I've attached a picture. (we also added the door, beadboard and made that bench you see...still in progress in that picture.)

ColorBlue
03-18-2004, 12:38 PM
Sorry I didn't add who makes it. Domco Tarkett and Armstrong make VCT..you can get either through most floor stores and I believe armstrong is available at Home Depot etc.

Tracy

egoldber
03-18-2004, 01:39 PM
We've lived in lot of houses and have had a lot of different kitchen floors: vinyl, tile, wood and even (can you belive?) carpet. If I were starting from scratch, hands down I would pick a soft, natural flooring like hardwood or cork. It is so much easier to stand on when working.

My second choice would be a very high quality laminate/vinyl.

HTH.

crl
03-18-2004, 02:07 PM
We put cork in our kitchen nearly two years ago and love it! Ours is in "wood" tone, but it comes in other colors. It is soft to stand on and dh dropped a crystal glass on it the other day and the glass didn't break! (The reverse of what happens on those darn granite tile countertops he wanted so badly.)

By the way, you can order cork samples off the internet--as I recall it didn't cost all that much. We got our floor from www.ifloor.com, but there are other internet sources too.

Hope that helps and good luck!

emilyf
03-18-2004, 02:09 PM
I got real linoleum-not vinyl, most people confuse the two. I like it-it cleans easily, and has a nice soft (not shiny) look that I like. I got it in sheets though, and the seam is very visible. I would get tiles next time, or a darker color.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

hobey
03-18-2004, 02:52 PM
I love my VCT floor. We put in a royal blue VCT and I just added pops of red every so often.

You can find them at Lowe's too. IMO, they have a better color selection but the colors are special order.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

nofeea
03-18-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm still gathering data :)
Feel free to keep your info and opinions coming...