PDA

View Full Version : Eek! I'm not ready! What baby stuff do I need to stock up on?

trumansmom
03-18-2004, 03:00 PM
Yikes. At my ob appointment today my doc says it looks like my blood pressure and lab work have taken a turn for the worse, and it's getting more and more probable that this kid is going to be arriving much, much sooner than I had anticipated. I have a wonderful friend who has agreed to go do a Target run for me this weekend, and I'm just stuck on what all I need for her to pick up for me and the baby. Of course I have lots of things from DS still, but I know I'm forgetting bunches of things we must have needed right away.

Here's my list so far:

For baby:

Newborn diapers
Aquaphor
Baby hangers
Alcohol wipes for the cord
????

For me:

Maxi pads
Tucks

Please help!

Thanks!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

aliceinwonderland
03-18-2004, 03:15 PM
Not much advice, as I'm a first time mom-to-be as you know, but I'm a little jealous of you!! I'm due 4 days before you, and can't wait to meet my little one :)

anyway, only thing to add to the list is maybe diaper rash creme, baby wipes, and some newborn onesies??

Best of luck, keep us posted!!

eri and the bean, due next month!!

farsk
03-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Jeanne,

Don't forget baby wipes, cotton balls, q-tips (for cord), and a list of friends who will make you dinner!haha! (really, I'm serious!) For yourself, I"d get a squirt bottle to hose down "your parts" and a can of dermaplast. My hospital gave me both, and the dermaplast was wonderful for perineal (sp?) tearing!

Good Luck!

cric
03-18-2004, 03:24 PM
An obvious thing... but do you have the car seat already?

If you're having a boy, and decide to circ. him - you need vasaline to put on his penis with every change. The hospital might give you some of this too, but we still needed more as our DS poops a lot!

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-18-2004, 03:26 PM
I can't think of what else you need, I'm sure you'll be covered, but I am so excited for you...would you beat me over the head if I dare say these months have "flown by"....I just can't beleive it!!!!!

Keep us posted girlie I have been thinking of you!!!!
Big hugs,
Neve O
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

redhookmom
03-18-2004, 03:57 PM
Hoping yu won't need one: thermometer.

amp
03-18-2004, 04:04 PM
People already covered the things I thought of, but I wanted to say I have been thinking about you and that babe. Like Neve said, it seems as though it has flown by since you told us you were pregnant! Can't wait to hear the good news when baby arrives!

momma_boo
03-18-2004, 04:41 PM
Are you planning to nurse? Then you definitely need some nursing pads and lansinoh (lanolin).

Pacifiers - if you are going to use them. (not trying to start a debate on pacifier use. We started using them very early).

Good luck!

Momof3Labs
03-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Wow, time sure has flown!!

If you are having a boy and plan to circumcise, in addition to the vaseline, you'll need a supply of gauze squares.

Are you nursing? Do you need breast pads or Lansinoh?

How about new, newborn-size pacifiers?

Have plenty of toilet paper on hand, too - we went through a lot in those first few weeks, it seemed!

Maybe a package of preemie diapers (Wal-Mart carries them) in case your baby is too small for newborn dipes?? I don't know - just wondering because he/she is coming a little early.

Do you have a going home outfit? A few super-tiny sleepers, again Wal-Mart has preemie sized ones that supposedly work well for tiny newborns.

votre_ami03
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
We needed size 1 dipe's, not NB, but since this baby may be early, preemie's might be a vcould choice too.

*Vasoline, I highly recommend the squirty kind in the tube!
*Baby tee-shirts
*Baby nail clippers
*Baby hat?
*Blankies, I am sure you have plenty.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

kathsmom
03-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Jeanne,

First of all, I hope that things go well for you and your new little one!

For me at the hospital:
I always get chapped lips, so I had lip balm handy. Magazines to try to keep my mind occupied waiting for the little one to come (I had an induction with Andrew). Film (if you have a regular camera), or make sure that your digital camera and/or videocamera are charged up.

Have you picked out a "going home" outfit? I also had a special blanket for each of my children that were used when they came home.

That's all I can think of right now. I'll add more if I think of anything. Good luck!

AngelaS
03-18-2004, 05:53 PM
WhooHOO! Baby's almost here! How exciting!

I also get Baby Tummy drops...infant Mylicon for gassy tummies

I've heard that Cottonelle toilet paper with ALOE is a FABULOUS thing on sore new mommy heineys. :D I'm gonna buy some this next go 'round. :D

Oh and do you have a small toy for Truman from his new sibling? We bought A a $5 toy from G and it kept her entertained at the hospital when she and Daddy came to visit. :D

MartiesMom2B
03-18-2004, 06:53 PM
I think everone has you covered. But didn't you post yesterday that you were expecting? Time really flies by!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mattiew
03-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Good list so far!

For you I would add Motrin/Advil, Cottonelle or any other brand "wipes" for adults (they come in a box and are sold by the toilet paper), and easy late night snacks for you (make sure you have something yummy and indulgent).

Good luck!!!!!
Carrie

JLiebCamm
03-18-2004, 11:38 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with the "baby" wipes for YOU and would also recommend having a little Colase (i.e. softener) to take if needed for those first very scary bathroom experiences.

jamsmu
03-19-2004, 12:20 AM
This is so exciting!!! Best wishes!

Don't forget:
FOR YOU
Slippers or comfy shoes
Popsicles--for you--my favorite thing in the hospital

FOR BABY
Baby book
wash cloths
baby shampoo
baby socks

Vajrastorm
03-19-2004, 01:39 AM
Wash cloths!! Wipes are often harsh on newborn babies. We had to use wash cloths for cleaning her diaper area for several months.

jubilee
03-19-2004, 02:24 AM
If you have a diaper genie, get extra refills- remember how often you change the diaper in the beginning.

Film

Baby book (you want to record those special memories, get foot prints, etc.)

Toilet paper, soap, milk, the household essentials