PDA

View Full Version : What to put in a First Aid Kit? Recommended Books?

etwahl
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Okay, my next task is to build a couple first aid kits. 1. For the car (we have one in tehre, but want to make sure we have appropriate stuff in there). 2. for the house, and 3. for the travel bag.

Please let me know what should be in these first aid kits.

also, any books you recommend?

I have to find a first aid course to take, but i don't know where to start looking in this tiny place. our hospital wasn't sure.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

lisams
03-18-2004, 05:07 PM
Good question! Here's what we have in our home first aid box:

thermometer
tweezers
scissors
bandaides in various sizes
gauze
bandage tape
antiseptic foam w/ anesthetic
neosporin
saline nose drops
infant tylenol and motrin
infant decongestant
snot sucker bulb
calamine lotion
benedryl
latex gloves
pedialyte
posion treatment kit
mini first aid booklet
printed sheet of dosages by weight of tylenol, motrin and benedryl (from Sears website)

I think that's it! I would love to hear what others have in theirs!

Lisa

abigailsmom
03-18-2004, 05:17 PM
I have pretty much the same thing, but here's a useful tip that I got from.... I don't know where! Put a red wash cloth in there b/c (God forbid your little one gets a cut or scrape that bleeds) the red cloth disguises the blood and especially the amount from them. It should keep them from completely freaking out at the sight of blood.

We also keep baby nail clippers in ours to deal w/ hang nails, etc.

Tube of vaseline or KY for car and travel kit for taking temps. i also bought alcohol wipes at BRU to ust to clean the thermometer, tweezers, etc.

We use the kit also... so adult tylenol, etc.

I keep 2 tongue depressers (splint), safety pin (bad splinters), and a small roll of ace bandage (everything)!

My kit is probably overkill, but we use it for the whole family and I also made one up for my SIL & BIL's dd and they have found it very useful!

Sorry probably TMI, but i hope it helps!

Robyn
Abigail's mom
8-02

caleymama
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
I have a book called "Taking Care of Your Child" by Robert H. Pantell, M.D., James F. Fries, M.D., and Donald M. Vickery, M.D. The subtitle is "A Parent's Illustrated Guide to Complete Medical Care." Luckily we haven't had to use it much but I think it's a good reference to have on hand. It's very straightforward and easy to look stuff up in. Here's a link to it at Barnes & Noble:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=0ETN0A7GYM&isbn=0738206016&itm=1

You could check with your local or regional Red Cross chapter about a First Aid class. You can do a search using this link: http://www.redcross.org/where/where.html

jubilee
03-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Also a few maxi pads, if there is a major cut, it will hold a lot of blood. Just tape on with medical tape.

heidi_timms
03-19-2004, 02:59 AM
Costco used to have a really nice first aid kit but I'm not sure if they still carry it. I can't remember where it was in the store. It had just about everything in it. It was all packed in a nice red zippered bag.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03