PDA

View Full Version : OT - Has Anyone Bought a Used Piano from a University?

August Mom
03-19-2004, 07:27 PM
DH and I got invited to a sale of 1-year-old Yamaha pianos used at a local university. We aren't necessarily buying this year, but definitely will get a piano in the future. I'm a big believer in piano lessons for kids. Anyway, I was thinking these would be good because they will have been well-maintained, tuned, played a lot (which is good for a piano) and played mostly by students who know what they are doing.

However, I read an on-line article from a piano store that says this is a big racket - that a lot of the pianos travel the country to various schools (which is bad for them) and the "sale" isn't great. But, this store competes with the store that runs the sale. So, I don't know what to believe.

Does anyone know about this or had a good or bad experience? Any information would be appreciated.

mharling
03-19-2004, 09:50 PM
I never have, but sounds like a good deal to me. I'm confused about the pianos 'moving around' a lot. At my college, most pianos, especially the ones in the solo practice rooms, were rarely, if ever moved. Maybe you can get some more information from the university about the background of the pianos. Did they purchase them new, how have they been used, have they been moved, etc.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03

August Mom
03-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Actually the moving around part was referring to other pianos mixed in by the piano store running the sale. Supposedly, the university pianos are to be marked, so I think that part would be okay. I agree. I don't think the pianos ever left our practice rooms at college unless they were never coming back.

mharling
03-19-2004, 11:02 PM
Ah, I get it!! Sorry. :)

Well, even if they were moved, if they were moved properly there shouldn't be a problem. I would definitely scope out a university one though; espec. if it's only a year old!!!!

We have my great-grandmother's piano (a HUGE upright grand). I love it for sentimental reasons, but really look forward to the day we can have a baby grand. :) Let me know if/what you end up with.

Mary
Lane 4/6/03