PDA

View Full Version : a question for eBay buyers and sellers:

LucyG
03-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Do you consider it safe to purchase items via money order on eBay? I have only used Paypal before, but there seem to be many sellers who do not take Paypal (credit and debit cards). I guess not having the safety net of Paypal makes me nervous. What do you think? If you purchase with a money order, do you have any recourse if something were to happen with the transaction? Thanks!

Imperia
03-20-2004, 11:36 AM
I have purchased with an MO, but I do find it a huge PITA. I hate buying them and sending them, I want it ASAP! If you are concerned you can always only buy from people who have really good feedback. I don't think there is recourse youc an take except through Ebay itself. Weird that someone won't take PP.

Imperia

redhookmom
03-20-2004, 01:00 PM
I have bought 22 things on ebay all by MO. I just didn't know what Paypal was...

I have never had a problem.

Someone I know had to trace there MO, which did cost something, and the MO ended up arriving after the trace was started.

LucyG
03-20-2004, 01:07 PM
Thanks, Imperia and Jessica! That makes me feel better about it!

egoldber
03-20-2004, 04:30 PM
I think she meant that they don't take PayPal funded by a CC. A LOT of sellers don't accept that (like me :) ) because there are both credit card fees and also PayPal account fees associated with that. Whereas the funded PayPal tied to a bank account has no fees.

HTH,

sweetbasil
03-20-2004, 05:17 PM
I've gotten all caught up in the excitement of some auctions and not noticed that the seller only accepted checks or MO until after I'd won (pay attention, Julie! ugh.)...anyway, I've never had a problem w/winning items and sending MOs and personal checks, but just be sure to check the seller's feedback before bidding. It is a real pain, though. I wish everybody accepted PayPal ;)