PDA

View Full Version : Calling all alternative therapy Moms

barbarhow
03-21-2004, 09:43 AM
We have decided to try the chiropractor for preventing ear infections for Jack. I really do not want tubes if we can avoid them. Obviously we are not going to take chances with his hearing but-I would like to try this. The problem is that we don't have an appointment until next week and he has the beginnings of a cold now and I want to try and prevent the ear infection this time.
One of the things that the chiropractor mentioned when we talked on the phone was using EBM in the ear as part of the treatment. We didn't go into it-I figured we would talk more at the appointment. Just wondering if any of you have used EBM in the ear. How did you do it? How much. Did it work, etc. Any other ideas while we wait for the appointment? TIA.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

Rachels
03-21-2004, 10:26 AM
I haven't, but I have a friend who has and it worked great. Breastmilk heals everything-- cuts, diaper rash, stuffy noses, etc. It's worth a try. Also, Hylands Earache Tablets help. A regular decongestant will help, too-- keep it going all day, every 4-6 hours, then try an antihistamine at night. And Elderberry syrup is excellent for babies with colds. It really helps with the congestion.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

barbarhow
03-21-2004, 05:46 PM
How much EBM do you use? I would assume just a couple of drops per ear?
I will get some of the Hylands tomorrow and some decongestant-Thanks.

Rachels
03-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Just a few drops, yes. It certainly can't hurt. And there is some research showing that ear infections can be pretty well-treated with Motrin and steady decongestants, so that's certainly worth a try, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

jamsmu
03-21-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm willing to try this. So should I just drop a drop of EBM in the ear?

Rachels
03-21-2004, 10:31 PM
Yes, express some milk and just pour a little in there.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Melanie
03-22-2004, 02:54 AM
No advice on the EBM, but I wanted to say that chiropractic saved my son from another trip down the ear infection route straight to tubes. Dh had tubes as a child and one left a scar on his ear which has caused some hearing loss - the very thing they wanted to prevent.

It's a miracle what your body can do when it is working properly! Congratulations for making that choice.

barbarhow
03-22-2004, 09:58 AM
I never would have made the decision without the information, encouragement and support that I receive from the people on these boards. A truly amazing resource.
ETA although I must say my DH raised his brows a tad when I told him about the EBM in the ears. -But he didn't say no.

slknight
03-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Barbara, we are trying to avoid tubes too. Let me know how the chiro and the EBM work. We do take Alex to a DO who does osteopathic manipulation on his head and neck. We've been taking him there since he was about two months because he had a slight case of torticollis. We go anywhere between every 4 to 8 weeks. But every time we stretch out the time in between or if we miss an appointment (we had to cancel once, she cancelled once), it seems like his ears get really bad. I am convinced that she is helping (plus I really like her). We went about a week and a half ago, and he has also been sleeping much better since then.

She thinks that he is sensitive/allergic to something that I am eating, and suggested cutting out chocolate, wheat, or dairy for 3 weeks. I am currently doing chocolate. I have read about some links between dairy allergy and recurrent ear infections (mostly in toddlers and older kids), but I guess it's possible for him to be allergic to what I'm eating, since he still nurses 8+ times a day. I'm willing to try almost anything at this point!

Melanie
03-22-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm not sure what the DO manipulation is and how it does or does not vary from the chiro manipulation on head neck (and of course they also check spine and pelvis), but for the DC 4-8 weeks is a long time between adjustments. Ds is out of alignment a lot between visits and we go weekly. For him it's because he's two and loves to climb and fall down (seriously, he does it on purpose) often. It takes very little pressure to put their bodies in and out of aligment.

Plus, if your Ds has never been adjusted, he's probably out of alignment from childbirth even if he's not into the stand up and fall down stage yet.

HTH

barbarhow
03-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I'll keep you posted. We have a regular MD appt tomorrow and the chiro on Thursday. I so don't want tubes. Alex is a chow hound, huh? Still nursing 8 times a day?!!! Wowza. I thought Jack was attached to me at about 6 on my days off. How do you get anything done? (LOL) Chocolate, wheat and dairy, huh? My three favorite foods. I guess if I get really desperate I'll have to go there.