PDA

View Full Version : My Baby is Snotty

lmariana
03-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Gabriel has his first official cold! He's not running a fever, but has some thick nasal congestion, sinus drainage, and the classic runny nose. I've tried the Little Noses drops, but they haven't helped at all. I feel bad for him because he can't sleep or eat well with all the congestion. He's also thrown up (after crying), which I believe is from all that yucky drainage.

So, any thoughts on how to break up the congestion and/or give him a little more relief? Any thoughts are appreciated! Thank you!

Mariana
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

Raidra
03-21-2004, 07:17 PM
We used a lot of Vicks Vapo Rub and also a vapor bath from Johnson & Johnson's. Colwyn's not old enough to have medicine, so we had to make do with that.. it seemed to work a bit.

We also tried steam showers, but that didn't do much for him.

Hope that helps..

lmariana
03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Oh! I completely forgot about Vicks! Thank you! I'll give that a go.

Mariana

pritchettzoo
03-21-2004, 07:55 PM
It could be allergy/sinus stuff...depending on where you are, the pollen count could be out of control. It's miserable here in GA anyway. Benadryl might help either way; here's a link to Dr. Sears on benadryl: http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T088800.asp

I hope he feels better soon!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

aguinn
03-21-2004, 10:04 PM
we have the same snotty problem here! ick! DS is almost 8 months and our ped recommended triaminic. so far it's worked out pretty well keeping the boogers at bay. we also use baby ayr saline drops and an aspirator to get the mucus out.

i think DS's problem is his FOUR teeth coming in at the same time... poor little guy!

good luck!
;)amy
proud momma to aidan

lmariana
03-21-2004, 10:22 PM
Hey, we're in GA too! Alpharetta.

I'll check out that Benadryl too. I bet it is allergies, my husband gets them pretty badly and is suffering right now too. Thanks for the tip!

Mariana

lmariana
03-21-2004, 10:24 PM
I wonder if Gabe is getting teeth in too, he's been scratching at this one place on his gums all day. He has been scratching in the molar region, so I didn't think it was teething, but I'll take a peek later and see if there's anything coming through.

Thanks for the tip on the Triaminic!

Mariana

lmariana
03-22-2004, 12:33 AM
Well, after trying the Vick's, a humidifier, steam shower, nasal drops...all to no avail or improvement, I ended up calling our Dr.'s 24 hr nurse line and talked to a nurse. She said, given his symptoms, it sounds like allergies. She recommended the Benadryl (1/2 t. every 6 hours) for a little relief. She said if he gets worse or still looks supremely miserable tomorrow, to take him in to the doc.

So, hubby is at Walmart now, picking up the Benadryl. :)

Thanks for all your help!

Mariana