PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question, Where do co-sleeping babies sleep when you're not sleeping?

christic
03-21-2004, 10:41 PM
Because of the posts recently where people say they NEVER use their cribs I'm curious. I guess most of the people I know who co-sleep only really do it part-time. Baby goes to sleep in the crib but then wakes up after mom and dad have gone to bed and spends the rest of the night with them.

So are you guys without cribs going to bed at 7:30 too? Or are the babes just up later? And I'm not really thinking about newborns (cause I was in bed at 7:30 at that point!) but older babies or toddlers. And what about naps, especially if you work?

I'm just thinking about my daughter's sleep schedule and I just don't get how this would work without a crib???

Rachels
03-21-2004, 10:48 PM
We've never used the crib. Early on, she slept in her cradle, then in our bed with the mattress on the floor. Once she got mobile, I put her crib mattress on the floor next to our bed, and now she naps there. And when she was tiny (and still now sometimes) we took naps together.

Most cultures in the world don't use cribs, and babies do just fine. I'm not opposed to cribs if they work for your family, but they're certainly not a deal-breaking necessity.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Tristan has napped in his crib maybe 7 times and two of those times was an attempt to see if he would sleep there at night...
For some reason he doesn't sleep well in there I guess because he is probably use to the smells etc.. of our bedding.

When he was young and not mobile he napped in my bed
He thank goodness will nap just about anywhere as long as he has certain comforts...
downstairs now that he is mobile he has a duck (resemble a bear rug) that he sleeps on, and up here in his play room where my computer is I have recently gotten him a mattress that is on the floor and he'll sleep there.

He also likes to sleep on one of the dog beds, but I always lay down a thick comforter when he starts crawling over there ...they are in our bedroom in the "nook" and it is a nice peaceful place to rest...

For his first few months of life he slept very well in an Amby Hammock for naps...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

deborah_r
03-22-2004, 12:00 AM
My DS usually starts his evening in the crib, then comes to bed with us at his first waking. But if Daddy is going to sleep early, as he sometimes does, but I never do, then he'll sleep in the bed with Daddy. For naps, he sleeps in his crib.

stillplayswithbarbies
03-22-2004, 12:03 AM
she naps in her Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker, or in her pack n play which is in our room. At the babysitter, she naps in the babysitter's arms on the couch. (we have a great daycare provider!)

When she falls asleep nursing in the evening, we take her upstairs to sleep in the pack n play until we go to bed.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

new_mommy25
03-22-2004, 12:04 AM
DS naps in the middle of my king sized bed. It is pushed snug against the wall and there are pillow all around. We took the frame off so in the event (knock on wood) that he did somehow manage to roll off he would not fall far. Sometimes I nap with him, most times I don't. We live in a two bedroom condo so I just peek in on him frequently. Usually during his naps I am in the next room surfing the net and I can hear every movement, cough etc. so I know when he is waking up or rolling over. A friend of mine has 2 stories so she keeps her moniter next to her bed. We have lots of blankets spread out on the living room floor right now becuase DS is in the beginning stages of crawling. He plays very hard these days and quite often will conk out right there. At night he goes to bed around 8:30 and again we use the pillows. DH and I usually go to bed a few hours later. We had a crib but DS just never took to it. I tried nursing him down and then transitioning him to the crib but it would freak him out when he'd wake up in there. He sleeps better right next to me. We actually ended up selling it about a month ago because we are moving. With our next child I will buy a crib and a swaddle me and hope that does the trick. There are nights where I long to stretch out and sleep without interuption, that usually happens when he is going through a growth spurt. For the most part I love having him next to me.

Imperia
03-22-2004, 05:40 AM
Well mmy DD is technically still a newborn, but I like staying up late. No 7:30 bedtimes for me!

When DD isn't sleeping in bed with us she sleeps:

-ON DH or myself (she loves this lol)
-In her Sling (also loves this...I wander around in public with my sling on and she is passed out with a bl;issful smile on her face!)
- (Don't report me to the SIDS alliance but...) on the couch, but it IS a futon couch without any pillows etc. It's very firm, and this is only when we are in the room ,we don't leave her there alone.

We have a Pack N Play type playpen with a bassinet, but she doesn't really like it much and when I put her in there she scootches up to the side and BURIES her face in the padding *shiver*

I admit to placing her in her crib for short naps so I can shower and wash my hair when DH is at work.

Imperia

brigmaman
03-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Karen, that's great that you have such a wonderful daycare provider. She must be wonderful!

brigmaman
03-22-2004, 08:55 AM
When Brig was younger, he napped in the pack and play in our living room. Then he napped in the crib (for a few weeks). Now he naps in our bed. Before he could get down by himself we had pillows around him and a video monitor.
I'm so sad that we're going to have to move him to his own bed soon!

etwahl
03-22-2004, 09:29 AM
trish, when was he able to get down on his own.

we do the same. pillows around lauren and a video monitor!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

brigmaman
03-22-2004, 11:15 AM
I can't remember exactly, but he's been doing it for a while now, and he's 19 months. I'm going to guess since he was about 16 months.

christic
03-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Aha! I knew there had to be something very simple I was missing. When people were saying that their babies wouldn't sleep in cribs, only with them I was taking it too literally--as in they would only sleep while you slept with them. But they do spend part of the night sleeping on their own, they just don't do it in a crib.

OK, now I get it...and thanks for very patient answers to very silly questions!