PDA

View Full Version : Emotional realization by new Mommy to 2

akc
03-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi all -

I should qualify this that it is also an hormonal, sleep-deprived moment, but:

I was just finishing giving Charlotte (DD#2) her bottle and put her to sleep when I realized the really BIG difference between having one and two (or more) children.

It's not the stress of another baby, the sleeplessness, the lack of extra hands, the work (who hasn't heard that going to two children is actually three times the effort!) To me, there was no cataclysmic shift in stress. Our life and home were already oriented around Maeve (DD#1), and I was surprised at how "normal" it felt to just have another baby in the house. Yes, sometimes it's hectic, but it really isn't this horrendous amount of stress that everyone hypes it to be. Besides, for us, it hadn't been THAT long.

No, for me, it's emotional. The big difference for me with Charlotte is that when I look at her, as this teeny, tiny baby, I can already see where she's headed.

What I mean by that is that with Maeve, my first born, I was just amazed at the reality of this baby that we had created. It was so tiny and so perfect and just never seemed like it would grow to become an adult. Every day I thought, "oh my gosh, look, she's doing this or that" - wow!

This time, gosh, I'm crying now, I already know that this little tiny baby girl will be, in just months, sitting, then pulling up, then standing and walking; she'll be cooing, then first words, then talking, then ordering me around and screaming, "NOOOO!" I'm not projecting onto her or wanting her to stay a newborn forever - I just find it incredibly moving to know just how quickly a little squinchy newborn baby becomes a little individual in a pint-sized body. And, I now know that I get to be a part of that again - with a different personality and girl - and how miraculous...and fun...it is. And, even if they will be different, I like that I have a window seat on that path.

I apologize b/c I'm not sure I'm saying this very eloquently, but it's hard to describe. Each are equally precious experiences, and I imagine there are even more to experience with more children. Maybe it's just a deepening sense of being a mother, I don't know...So, maybe I snuggle her a little more, or sneak naps with her when I can; she gets a few extra kisses when I should be sneaking away. I know where she's headed, and I want every moment I've got my new baby girl.

I just thought I'd share...
Alexa

p.s. and, attached a pic of me & Charlotte on the day we came home from the hospital together (esp since Maeve is still my avatar image!)

redhookmom
03-22-2004, 01:48 AM
I know exactly what you are thinking.

The first time through I thought being a Mom to a newborn was going to last forever. The second time through I knew it was going to go by in a flash and it just made me kind of sad.

Jeanne
03-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Nicely said! I couldn't agree with you more. Beautiful picture - and Charlotte is such a beautiful name! I felt the same way about my first (Charlotte) and now that Claire has come along, it's even more emotionally charged. Now when she looks at me, I see in her face what she's looking at. I'm Mom!

lisams
03-22-2004, 01:55 AM
That was simply beautiful, thank you so much for sharing! And you and Charlotte are beautiful!

Lisa

akc
03-22-2004, 02:08 AM
OK, just uploaded my digital pics from yesterday - I'll try to embed the URL - if that doesn't work, I'll just attach the picture.

See why I'm a weepy Mommy? Sorry to all of you having to hear my sappiness, but you see what I meann - and this applies to all sleeping babies...couldn't they stay this way forever AND isn't it fun to know how much they have ahead of them?

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/3576.jpg

bluej
03-22-2004, 09:53 AM
I know what you mean. About knowing how fast it's going to go AND about sleeping babies. I love the smiles and the expressions of surprise, but really, sleeping is when they are their most beautiful! Everything about them is relaxed and you can really study their features and stand there in total amazement. What a cutie in your picture! She's a perfect little bundle of pink!

barbarhow
03-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Perfectly eloquent and beautiful. As is the picture of the two of you.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-22-2004, 10:12 AM
So sweet, thank you for sharing!!!!
One of my friends said it best "it's not like when you have two children that you have to share a "glass of love"...it is like you are given a whole 'nother glass of it to use" :)...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

amp
03-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Oh, you said it all just fine! And by the way....your daughter (both of them, actually) is gorgeous! And can I say, you looked fantastic coming home from the hospital! Wow!

brubeck
03-22-2004, 01:21 PM
I know just what you mean! You know it's all coming and part of you can't wait for it and the other part of you wants it to slow down.

I should also add that when I had my second I often spent time feeling guilty that I wasn't spending enough time with either kid. It actually took me a full year to schedule my life and my emotions enough to spend separate time with each child and not feel like the other is getting gypped.

I hope you enjoy every moment of this journey Alexa!

Jeanne
03-22-2004, 03:17 PM
So sweeet! I have to find a picture of my Charlotte at that age because they look so similar.

jec2
03-22-2004, 05:56 PM
She's beautiful--you both are! And, I think you said it so eloquently. I can sort of imagine the feelings you are having and I'm still on my first. I do try and take a step back every now and again to actually "see" how much he's changed and how fast it has gone. But, I bet with the second (or third or fourth...)the experience is so much more poignant because you "know" how fast it truly does go by.

marinkitty
03-22-2004, 05:59 PM
Your post really got me - so nicely put!!!! Your little bundle is precious! Steal a few more kisses . . . Off to give my own not so little bundle a smooch!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

hellokitty1
03-22-2004, 10:27 PM
Alexa-

You could not have said it any more eloquently. I haven't even had the second child yet and started to weep as I read your post. At the moment we're just considering two kids so it almost seems like the minute I become pregnant, rather than it being the start to something new, it might feel like the beginning of the end...the las time I'm pregnant, the last time I nurse, the last time I watch my baby start to crawl, etc.

Wow, your post is a good reason to go for three! But then again, the feelings are still there - it's just with the third child instead of the second.

stella
03-22-2004, 11:04 PM
Her sleeping photo has brought tears to my eyes! I saw a baby at the mall the other day - sleeping on her back in her stroller with her arms up by the side of her head -do y'all know the pose I'm referring to? That, too, brought tears to my eyes as my "baby" is now 16 months old.

Your new baby is just gorgeous - and your children are spaed exactly as mine are - 17 months to the day.

Hang on, mama, it's a wild ride - but LOTS of fun!!

akc
03-22-2004, 11:10 PM
hi (as I wipe my eyes again) -

You guys are all so nice that now I'm crying at each post about your children AND thinking about number three. Not good (for now!) Seriously, I appreciate your kind words and validation that this is what others feel as well. It was very late and I was just typing, typing how I felt...

This is why I love this whole cybernetwork of mothers thing...it really is all about sharing and validation.
:)

Alexa