PDA

View Full Version : OT- Any Polish Mommies here?

Marisa6826
03-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I need some recommendations for a somewhat Polish Easter dinner.

So far I have planned: Turkey, Ham, Kielbasa, Pierogies, Red Cabbage with Raspberries, Apples and Walnuts, Vermouth Carrots, some sort of greenbeans, Mashed Potatoes, Babka Bread.

Probably a cheesecake for dessert...maybe a trifle of some sort...

Anything I am misssing that's a "must have"?

Thanks!

-m

mommd
03-22-2004, 07:44 PM
White Barsch, horseradish and beet relish, and the hard boiled eggs to share at the beginning of dinner. We never have turkey, only ham, and of course kielbasa. We also have cheesecake for dessert. Have fun cooking! :)

Marisa6826
03-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Renee-

I thought I would do a turkey because several of the older relatives have salt restrictions. Can't really do a ham that's without salt ;)

Thanks for the reminders about the horseradish and beet relish. I am trying to remember what my grandmother always had on the table.

I went to a Polish deli/butcher today on a whim. Nobody spoke a word of English. Thankfully there was a customer there that did. They told me that I didn't have to order anything. Just come the week before and they would have it available.

Should I also try and get chruschkie (sp?) ?

One other question. How do you make your kielbasa? My grandmother made it with beer and sauerkraut. My Polish cousin makes in in Coke. Not sure which one to go with. My cousin's is pretty good, though :)

-m

mommd
03-22-2004, 08:03 PM
I just boil the kielbasa in water, nothing fancy, but I have made it in beer before and it's pretty tasty. I've never made chrusciki for Easter, usually the day before Ash Wednesday along with packi, but you can get them if you want! Are you by any chance in the Chicago area?

There isn't a whole lot of Polish food that's low on salt! :)

HGraceMom
03-22-2004, 08:49 PM
Oh, what about City Chicken? If you're having mashed potatoes, you could skip the turkey, and make klups (meatballs) instead... Or pork chops - there's a great Polish restaurant in Detroit (Under the Eagle) and they have fantastic Stuffed pork chops.

I always boil my kielbasa, then put it in a baking dish (with a little oil to keep it from sticking to the pan) in the oven to brown it a little. We serve it with homemade horseradish

Definitely Cheesecake for dessert... And if you have your Easter basket blessed, we always have a tray of the blessed fruits & vegetables for everyone to share before dinner begins - I'll keep thinking... thoughts of all this good food is going to keep me up tonight!

Now I'm VERY hungry!!!

Marisa6826
03-22-2004, 09:02 PM
I'm in New Jersey. Wallington (this little town about 1/2 hour from me) is mostly Polish/Ukranian and is where I went today.

There used to be a church were the nuns made homemade pierogies on Wednesdays in Clifton. I wish I could remember which one it was. I saute mine with butter, onions and bacon (my cardiologist would shoot me if she knew). The butcher/deli had homemade ones but they were frozen.

I need to keep the turkey in the menu because my best friend and her husband are coming and they don't eat pork. As blasphemous (sp?) as it sounds, I'm seriously thinking about getting a Honey Baked Ham Co. spiral cut ham. They are amazingly good and it's one less thing to have to fit in my oven. Between the turkey and cheesecake, along with the sides, I'm going to have my hands full.

And as far as having the food blessed, I don't think it would go over well with my Jewish husband ;). I guess I will just have to wing it :P

-m

HGraceMom
03-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Even better than a honey baked ham - when we lived in Alabama I ordered from a company called "Dearborn Sausage" in MI (I couldn't find any good Polish delis in Birmingham...) - their hams (sliced or not) are outstanding - and they make excellent kielbasa, pierogis, etc. My polish grandparents always got a Dearborn ham & warmed it in the oven with a little Vernors to keep it moist. My mom & I have continued that "tradition" saving time to make other homemade treats instead. Everything can be shipped overnight in coolers. I think they have a web site - I'll check & post it if I can find it.

Happy cooking...

edited for website
http://www.dearbornbrand.com/

nathansmom
03-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Can I come for dinner? I miss homemade pierogies and I can't make them. I don't know why I can't they just never turn out.
Okay now I'm craving cabbage rolls. If you don't get an email from me tonight thats what I'm doing, making cabbage rolls.

LD92599
03-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Marisa:

Someone I work with orders from the church in Clifton...I'll see if I can get the name for you! Yum...i love pierogies.

Laura
mom to William

Marisa6826
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
Laura-

I think it might have been on Broad Street??

-m

Marisa6826
03-23-2004, 12:02 AM
I'll check it out. Thanks!

-m

LD92599
03-23-2004, 11:41 AM
St. John Kanti on Speer Ave

Here's the direct # for the Pierogie line (LOL)...they are available on Thursdays! Yumm...now you've got me craving some!

973-773-0365

Hope all is well with you and Sophie!! Will says hi!

Laura
mom to William

Marisa6826
03-23-2004, 11:50 AM
AWESOME!

Thanks! Pierogie hotline. That's too funny.

Kisses from Sophie for Will

-m