PDA

View Full Version : Do you (plan to) let your kids watch videos in the car?

redhookmom
03-23-2004, 02:09 PM
I don't. We will be taking a long car trip soon and I am considering buying one. What are your thoughts/esperiences? TIA

bluej
03-23-2004, 02:17 PM
For us, any trip longer than 4 hours, the tv is a must! Any trip shorter than that they can entertain themselves w/ books, games and stuff, but really four hours seems to be the magic cut-off of self entertainment for my kids.

starrynight
03-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Well I'm a reformed "never buying one of those things" moms LOL. My oldest was and still is a dream in the car. Give him a book or even just the window to look out and he is great. Then Daria was born and she is a monster in the carseat, has been since about 3 months old and we live near no family so we often take long car trips. After 6 straight hours of a screaming 1 year old (at the time) we decided I don't care how much they cost we are buying one of those things. I got one at sam's club for around 400 (397 or something like that) that plays dvds,a remote came with it, had a second screen so 2 kids could watch (helpful if you have a van/suv and kids in different seating rows) and also you can hook up a video game system to it so one kid can watch a movie and the other can play video games on it with the second screen. It was so worth it because now on long car rides I have a very happy 2 year old and peace! btw it was the gtog (gear to go) brand. I have had it a year or so and run it all the time without any problems. It also has an adapter so you can take it inside and plug it into a wall which is great for hotel rooms. In the vehicle it plugs into a cigarette lighter socket or a power socket some cars now have.

I priced them everywhere else and sam's was the biggest screen and the best price. So if you have a membership or a friend with one it's probably the best way to go. I have seen some for a bit cheaper but the either have very small screens or only play vhs tapes.

June
03-23-2004, 03:33 PM
I let my 19- month-old daughter watch DVD's in the car on our long and infrequent trips to her grandparents' house. Just having the device before I pulled out of the driveway without DH for the 8-9 hour trip gave me some confidence that we could eventully make it to our destination. My daughter never used to travel well in the car. She sleeps less during car trips than if we were home. The DVD's keep her entertained and keep me sane and more relaxed. We only play DVD's on long trip and not trips across town.

Rachels
03-23-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd give my eye teeth to do it. Abigail is still rear-facing, and it's not an option yet. But she's a REALLY tough traveler. I just won't do long drives with her. She hates it and has since she was newborn. When she's DVD-ready, sign me up.

I think it's one thing if you're choosing ongoing movies instead of letting kids run around outdoors or setting them up for imaginative play. But in the car, they're stuck. It's not like those things are really options-- even play is very limited. I wish there were a rear-facing option. I'd go visit some people.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

tinkerbell1217
03-23-2004, 03:54 PM
If I had one of the car video or DVD players when my kids were little it would have been GREAT!!!I did have one for about two years a couple of years back though. My DS is a terror in the car on long trips (he is mentally challenged and ADD so I am sure you understand). Having the video player was wonderful! He watched his Disney movies or Rugrats and we had peace and quiet! Its the only thing besides Gameboy or Playstation2 that will actually hold his attention! And the video games have been wonderful for his hand eye coordination.

So, YES YES YES!!! I love having a video player in the car!

Kelly

trumansmom
03-23-2004, 03:55 PM
We took a 2 week car trip last summer and it was a LIFESAVER!! I felt a little guilty, but I truly think it kept all three of us sane.

We also made several stops in small towns for some city park run around time. It was amazing what 20 minutes on the grass would do for all of us.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and EDD 4/23/04!

amp
03-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Yep, we've just started researching them and just happen to be seriously considering the G2G brand that Jackie mentioned. DH likes the look of it.

Jackie - They have this brand at Best Buy also, but it doesn't come with the 2nd screen. I'm not sure what else it's lacking, but the cost comes in under $200. Do you think the 2nd screen is critical? Also, DS is still rearfacing. My Escape has an plug-in in the back and DH is sure he can hook it up to the seat so that DS can still watch it while rearfacing. Do you agree with this? Did yours, or does yours (could it) be attached easily that way? I'm so glad you posted that you have been happy with this brand!

AngelaS
03-23-2004, 05:02 PM
My inlaws are a 24 hour car trip away. We love our little tv!! It's especially vital for the return trip!

HoneymoonBaby
03-23-2004, 05:12 PM
Probably not. Music, talking, interaction, simple car games, coloring books, reading, etc. are all okay with me . . . passive TV watching is not. I don't care how quiet it keeps them. Frankly, I'd rather see kids playing video games on a Gameboy than watching TV -- at least the Gameboy requires you to think. I just don't think TV is going to be a big part of our kids' lives.

Rachels
03-23-2004, 05:18 PM
I would have said the same thing, and she doesn't watch much TV at home. But a baby who screams nonstop in the car is VERY stressful. You might be surprised by what you change your mind about once you see who you've got in there. I would have thought videos in the car were just crazy ridiculous, but now I think they sound like heaven. She's too little for a Gameboy (although I don't think I'd go for that, either). :) :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Calmegja2
03-23-2004, 05:19 PM
I have four children who start talking the moment their sweet little eyes flutter open in the morning, and who pass out at night midsentence. ;-)

We have a van with a built in DVD. I wouldn't go without it.

Befoer my first child was born, I might have answered differently, but that baby turned out to be a kid who would throw up if she tried to color in a book or read while riding in a moving vehicle. The ability to be entertained has really made our rides much more pleasant, for all of us. Kids, mom and dad, random passengers.

MelissaTC
03-23-2004, 05:22 PM
After driving 12 hours to FL with a 15 month old the answer is YES!! We used DH's laptop to watch the Wiggles and THANK GOD for that! Our new van will have a DVD player. DS is forward facing so he will enjoy our next big trip. Unfortunately for us, we have to go away before we purchase the new van so it is Mommy sitting in the back with the laptop again for one last hurrah! I think some people abuse the video watching option. I would not use it unless it was a long car ride. We drive to NY, AR and FL from NC and that is when I would use it.

lisams
03-23-2004, 05:26 PM
I said the exact same thing before DD arrived!! Well, I wish we could now have a DVD but she is still rearfacing. She hates driving in the car. Music and books help but after 15 minutes she is a bear to deal with, she yells "up, up" as in she wants to be picked up. Of course she still has to wait but I think having a distraction would be very comforting for her (and of course for me who is trying to drive while she's screaming).

Lisa

khakismom
03-23-2004, 05:32 PM
I've never used one and don't think I will be (at least right now, maybe eventually when the girls are much older). Both girls have no problems playing by themselves or interacting with each other on plane trips and in the car. Kathleen, in fact, drove 16 hours from Kansas to Florida with Nana and Papa (and another 16 hours back) without watching a video/DVD and did wonderfully. She sang songs; played with her baby, stickers, and Magna-Doodle, took naps, and read books with Nana.

I'm sure if I had a child that hated the car and was inconsolable during a roadtrip, I would absolutely be investing in a portable DVD player. The only thing that bothers me about them is when parents don't even try a trip without it--just assuming that they *must* have it--not knowing if maybe the kids don't need it. Just my $.02. :)

MelissaTC
03-23-2004, 05:38 PM
It was so much easier when he was younger. *sigh* He screamed for 1/4 of one of our NY trips and 1/3 of our AR trip. He is normally so good in the car, at least around town, etc.. SO I definitely see one in our future! But I understand what you are saying :)

emilyf
03-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Probably not, ds is good in the car and we don't generally take super-long car trips-dh gets grouchy so if the trip is more than 5 hours or so we will usually spend a night to break it up. But I would in a heartbeat if ds hated the car or we did a lot of long distance driving.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

Melanie
03-23-2004, 08:08 PM
No.

Sarah1
03-23-2004, 11:29 PM
I would! We've never taken a long car trip but we always take a portable DVD player on the airplane!

christic
03-24-2004, 12:10 AM
According to my parents I screamed and screamed whenever we went on any sort of car trip. When I was finally old enough to exlain what was going on they realized I was car sick. I'm hoping my daughter didn't get that gene (no problems yet!), but if she did, Dramamine is a whole lot cheaper than a DVD player :).

flagger
03-24-2004, 12:36 AM
No I do not. One of my favourite memories of my father was stopping at every historial marker along the highway. He who would not stop to allow anyone to pee would of course stop if there was an historical marker. I have a love of history because of that.

shishamo
03-24-2004, 12:50 AM
No, I would not. We usually stop every hour or two unless the kids are sleeping.

papal
03-24-2004, 12:54 AM
Well, i don't PLAN on it but somehow all my other plans on bringing up Leela are getting thrown for a loop so I am not sure if i can stick to my plan! :)

muskiesusan
03-24-2004, 09:47 AM
We just had one installed in the car last week. After 2.5 years, I couldn't take it anymore. Nick is a terrible traveller, and although we usually fly on longer trips, with two kids, that would be too expensive. My mom lives in a very rural area, and the highway there is 4 hours of nothing. I thought that Nick would learn to be a good traveller and entertain himself as I did when my family travelled this road. Of course, then I realized that I was never in a car seat and was able to move around and "play" with my 5 brothers and sisters. I think that made a huge difference, but of course the safety factors of the carseat far outweigh those benefits!!!

Susan
Mom to Nicholas 10/01/01
& Baby #2 due 4/23/04!!!!

kijip
03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
No, I do not think we will. Our son is easy in the car so far so i would never judge another parent for doing it. It is possible I will change my mind but I have too fond memories of looking at the windows on the 4, count'em 4 cross country (3000 mile) car trips I took as a little girl starting at the age of 2. And I had 2 siblings. and the car was a VW van with no heater. Kind of my version of the uphill in the snow to school bare foot tale but ....it is true....I just think that the window, the books, the car plate game etc are going to have to be enough....what would a car trip be without siblings drawing lines between their sides of the seats, poking each other and begging for ice cream? Quiet is not always better in my opinion. Also, what ever happened to the radio?

Calmegja2
03-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Nothing happened to the radio. We still listen to the radio (RadioDisney is amazing), as well. And we talk. And we sing, play games. And those who don't throw up play with little things that they bring along. We mix it up.

Variety is the spice of life and all...;-)

sntm
03-25-2004, 11:23 AM
yup, i have held up my laptop with Baby Beethoven playing to calm a cranky Jack. we stop often, but there are times when it is better for baby if you can keep going and get them out permanently.

on my return solo trip from DC and visiting my BBB friends, i would have given my right arm for a dvd player that might have made the little man happy (after stopping 4 times for various lengths of time and considering getting a hotel for the 3 hour drive!!!!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

jk3
03-25-2004, 12:26 PM
Initially I too would have said no. I also thought my baby would never be exposed to the tv. Well, at this point DS watches Baby Einstein once a day, usually when I need to take a shower or during dinner. He seems to be very engaged with these DVs and it doesn't appear to be a passive activity because he reacts to what he sees. He has no interest in regular tv shows or cartoons so there must be something to the Baby Einstein concept. I really only have a problem with too much tv or when my DH likes to have the tv on in the background. As far as the car, we don't have a dvd player at the moment but when our lease is up we'll probably get a minivan(something I also swore I would never get but now think it would be great) w/one. DS is pretty good in the car-the longest trip has been about 6 hours-but we travel by car frequently. I wouldn't let him watch for an entire trip but a half an hour here and there would be fine.