PDA

View Full Version : How to stop husband's snoring?

kristine_elen
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
I had to kick my husband out of bed last night because he couldn't stop snoring and I absolutely couldn't sleep. He won't try those "breath-rite" (?) nose strips. I've heard there is medication that can help. Anyone have any information on or experience with this? It's getting really bad.
Thanks!

dogmom
03-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Well, how bad is it? Speaking as someone married to someone with obstructive sleep apnea (he actually stops breathing at points at night) I've lived through a lot. My DH now wears a CPAP machine at night, which more importantly than not snoring, keeps him breathing which stressors out his heart a lot less.

If you think you DH actually stops breathing at night he should see his primary care person to refer him to a sleep study clinic. Part of the problem is someone with sleep apnea actually needs to "wake up" a lot during the night just enough to get oxygen and so they never really get restful sleep. If someone snores a lot (can be a sign of obstruction of breathing) and find themselve's tired during the day all the time they may have sleep apnea and should be screened.

If it's just snoring besides all the usual remedies I'm sure people will suggest it may still be useful to go to an Ear, Nose & Throat MD. There might be something structurally wrong with the nasal passages that can be fixed with surgery. I also know they are working on laser and other less invasive procedures for different snoring conditions. Good luck!

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

kelly ann
03-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Kristine-

My DH went to some special sleep doctor a couple years ago after my endless nagging and sharp kicks at night. He put my DH on Zyrtec before going the sleep clinic/surgery/machine route. The medicine actually helped. I think he still has a problem, but it is so much better with Zyrtec. However, he complains endlessly how it dries him up.

wdland45
03-23-2004, 05:20 PM
My DH sometimes snores too. We tried the Breathe Right Snore Relief spray. It actually did the trick. It stopped the snoring long enought to allow me to fall alseep. If it got bad in the middle of the night, I'd make him spray again. The spray was available our local pharmacy. Here is a link to the product page
http://www.breatheright.com/prod_info/snore_spray.asp
HTH
Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

jubilee
03-24-2004, 03:37 AM
I agree with Jeanne, your DH's doctor should talk to him about this. My exhusband had sleep apnea which started as incredibly annoying snoring. But in the end he actually needed surgery to correct a narrowing throat (surgery was called a UPPP) and even a CPAP machine. It is really dangerous to stop breathing during sleep, and most people with sleep apnea don't realize they do stop breathing and don't know they wake up a 100 times a night. Encourage him to see a doctor! You both might get a better night's sleep!

dogmom
03-24-2004, 10:14 AM
So, since I've been known to scare people in the past with too much medical information, I figured I'd put up some links. Not everyone who snores has sleep apnea, but it is serious, especially in male since it is a risk factor for heart problems. Here are two questionnaire's that are used to evaluate people for sleep apnea. If anyone out there is saying, "Gee, my DH snores a lot," this can give you an idea if any of this applies to your DH. (Most of them probably just snore loud.) My DH as "yes" to just about everything. I will say he didn't wear his stupid mask regularly until I got pregnant and couldn't go sleep on the couch. The good news is he is now actually useful in the morning, instead of stumbling around grunting.

The validated Berlin Questionnaire:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000315/tips/5.html

A more in depth one:
http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleepdisorders/questionnaire_new_complete_printable.htm

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

llcoddington
03-24-2004, 12:32 PM
My husband snores a lot less now that he takes Claritin. Also, I make him sleep on his side- not on his back with his mouth wide open! I still have to kick him a few times a night though :(

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Dcclerk
03-24-2004, 02:27 PM
I agree that a sleep study may be important. Another really helpful thing that few people are aware of, are mouthpieces. These mouthpieces push the lower jaw forward from the upper jaw and are really effective. My FIL has one and I cannot tell you how much better it is. (If we stayed at the same hotel, we could hear him in the next room before this mouthpiece.) Sexy they are not, but relatively cheap (compared to the oxygen thing) and easy. According to my FIL, studies have shown that the mouthpiece is almost as effective as the oxygen thing. I'll try to find some links, but it is definitely worth checking into.