PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Women's Clothing Store : NEED SOME IDEAS!

etwahl
03-24-2004, 07:48 PM
okay, this is probably going to sound sort of crazy, but a friend and i are thinking about opening a women's clothing store in our town. she's owned two businesses before, so she has the experience of what i lack.

this would be a business where i would take lauren to work with me. she loves lauren as much as i do, and the businesses she owned she did so with her sister who took her baby to work. she has experience in this area!

we see in our town an untapped market. there is limited women's clothing. you either have target or walmart, or two expensive, high end stores (fancy schmancy!!!)

we want to do CASUAL, COMFORTABLE, CONTEMPORARY, QUALITY, at a reasonable price. something a mom could wear. stuff like hanna, lands end, stuff you'd see at macy's or nordstroms (the affordable stuff).

we're in the very beginning stages of brainstorming, but i was hoping you could all help me with brands. we're going to start seriously looking at this, and of course we'd go to market to do some serious shopping, but curious if you had any brands to suggest that fit this bill? we're also wanting to do some shoes, jewelry, purses, etc. stuff that fits in with the type of clothes we want to offer.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? this is a big deal. i can't even believe i'm considering this but i think it could be an awesome opportunity. and i've got someone who is more gung ho than i am!!! so it's pretty exciting.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

NEVE and TRISTAN
03-24-2004, 08:31 PM
I have no advice...but so think you should do it!!!!!!!!
I think your area is perfect for it...how fun!!!!
We'll be the for the grand opening!!!

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

new_mommy25
03-24-2004, 08:50 PM
Tammy, how awesome and exciting!! I'll try to think of suggestions for you of brands you could carry. It's always been my dream to one day own a clothing store! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

For affordable purses I like stuff like Aldo, Nine West, Ann Klein. hmm..can't think of much off the top of my head.

I'll get back to you.

barbarhow
03-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Tammy-my Mom has a women's boutique that she has owned and run for 20 years. She is incredibly successful and is very gifted at what she does. Many of her clothing lines are just what you are describing. I am happy to get you a list if you like.
She has had a wonderful time with her shop-she has totally blossomed doing this.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

etwahl
03-24-2004, 09:08 PM
oh my gosh Barbara, that would be incredibly wonderful of you!!! your mom sounds VERY cool!!! if she ever has any time to spend with me on the phone as well (to pick her brain) i would be thrilled beyond belief. this is going to go quickly, because we'd want to open for summer which is crazy around here. so if we do it, we'll be moving VERY fast!!!

i love this board. i knew you guys would support me :)

plus, maybe having a store will enable me to buy stuff and do co-ops here... saving everyone tons of money :)

but seriously, it's exciting!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
03-24-2004, 09:09 PM
i was going to ask you about what you thought this area needed! but i knew you were busy today, so knew we'd catch up soon.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
03-24-2004, 09:10 PM
my thoughts on purses are also like some of the custom-type bags, like what we did with the ella and whimsical wear co-ops. fun!

and fun shoes, some birks most likely :) i wore mine for the first time today and love them (ended up getting the smaller size and they fit perfectly)

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

barbarhow
03-24-2004, 09:20 PM
Tammy-the showrooms are already showing clothing lines for fall. It can be done-but will definately not be easy to open in time for summer.
Where are you located and where will you be doing your buying from?

etwahl
03-24-2004, 09:22 PM
good point! i just emailed you. let me know if you got it.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jojo2324
03-24-2004, 09:37 PM
Tammy, this is fantastic!! How exciting!

I'm thinking along the lines of Eileen Fisher/J Jill - is that wrong? Also, I don't know if Nordstrom still produces this line, but I think it's called Nicole? I got a catalog from them a few years ago, and it was really nice, not too expensive stuff. I went to their site, but don't see it.

Hmmmm. Okay, if you're going with Birks, what about Dansko clogs? Oooh, and Dr Scholl's sandals? Therapeutic AND cute? :)

And for women's clothing. I am drawing a blank. 525 Made in America makes nice sweaters, lots of chenille. I know there is a line called Karen Kane. I wasn't crazy about all of their stuff, but that might have been a sampling of the whole collection. (I didn't get to pick stuff, just sold it.) Three Dots? Is that a T-shirt brand? Oh, Petit Bateau makes nice shirts, tanks and dresses (just simple cotton).

You should check out www.bluefly.com. They sell mainly designer labels (and at a big discount), but go through the names there and see if those work for you.

This is so exciting!! I can't wait to hear more details! :)

jamsmu
03-24-2004, 09:46 PM
Taammy, This is so great! I spent the afternoon at the bookstore looking for books about how to get started in retail. I'm thinking of opening a boutique, along the lines of gifts, jewelry and clothing. I don't have any advice on clothing lines, though if you're looking for jeans over $100, my sisters keep recommending Mave and Sevens. (One wants to do the store with me, but she wants more upscale clothing.)

I'd love to chat with you as you get this moving, we can pick each others brains. My biggest question is where do you start selecting the merchandise?

Anyway, I just want to wish you good luck! Next time we're in NC, I'd love to stop by!!

etwahl
03-24-2004, 09:48 PM
oh yes, danksos for sure!!!

i will definitely check out bluefly. this is just going to be a whirlwind. i'm asking evan, can i handle this? i sure wouldn't be bored, that's for sure. and lauren would get a lot of socialization, that's for sure. my head is spinning, we've been brainstorming for 2 days and this girl is GUNG HO. i mean really serious. we've already scouted out locations. it's crazy!!!

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

etwahl
03-24-2004, 09:50 PM
julie, we can travel this road together. did you get any good books? i plan to pick the brains of local merchants to find out where to start.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

jamsmu
03-24-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm currently reading "The Girls Guide to Starting your own Business" by Caitlin Friedman and Kimberly Yorio. It's very easy reading, a familiar type of writing. I also took two others out of the library, one is called, "Honey, I Want to Start My Own Business" by Azriela Jaffe about starting a business and dealing with your family. The other is "Specialty Shop Retailing" by Carol L Schroeder. I'll let you know more about them as I get into it.

Tammy, I'm excited about my idea, but I often get excited about ideas and then chicken out. I'd love to "travel" through this with you... We can hold hands and motivate!

Good luck!

jbowman
03-24-2004, 10:12 PM
I love shoes by Camper & Clarks! And I've always loved Gramacci shirts. You might want to check out some of the brands carried by Urban Outfitters/Anthropologie. Just some suggestions! Good luck!

etwahl
03-24-2004, 10:12 PM
i think i'd definitely chicken out if it were just me. definitely need a partner to drive me. not that i'm not driven. i am, but it's just such a BIG thing.

i was just putting lauren to bed and started worrying though...could doing something like this negatively affect her? i mean i seriously mean it when i say she'd be coming to work with me most of the time. ETA: i guess some of my worries are i wouldn't have as much time possibly to "do" the things i currently do now. Although i will say that we have said if we do this thing, we will set up a play station in the back of the store that would also be open for otehr moms to come and visit ( a very kid-friendly store) so moms could shop while kids play...or even just a place to hang out and do mom's socializing because this town has nothing at all for moms.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

barbarhow
03-24-2004, 10:31 PM
I got you r email and I replied but from my other email-my non spam account. As I said in the email-I will send you a list of great resources tomorrow. Will you do any of your buying in NY? Let me know.

etwahl
03-24-2004, 10:38 PM
i have no idea about the buying side. honestly this was just discussed yesterday. we talked about opening a business together months ago, but just never followed through. then we started seriously talking yesterday, today we started scouting locations and talking to some local merchants. they gave us some ideas on where to get started (for business loans and free assistance to get things rolling) and they also all agreed with our idea on the casual clothes idea.

but past that, we're flying blind. i would LOVE to buy clothes in New York. honestly that's where we'll definitely need some help. like where do you go for this stuff? crazy!!!!! that's why i probably am a little crazy for considering this, but everyone who does something liek this probably starts without much knowledge. and there is a baby shop that just opened here 8 months ago. two sisters...one just had a baby, and they started out slow, and gradually added to their inventory. well they are BOOMING. i mean seriously. and she is someone who's been here her entire life. she said this town NEEDS a good clothing store (not just the low or high end, something in between). one woman mentioned market in atlanta? new york sounds great though. but seriously, am i crazy for considering this with a one year old in tow?

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

JElaineB
03-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Tammy, no advice on the store but it sounds very cool! Glad you like the new Birks too! If I ever visit my sister in NC I'll have to stop by!!

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

abigailsmom
03-25-2004, 02:02 AM
This is very far outside of my area of knowledge, but I can lend a bit of advice... The Mart (I think) in Atlanta is a place that alot of people show and buy for their stores, small and large. I wish I had a better relationship with my IL's b/c they just opened a showroom their and I don't know anything about it x( x( Maybe try calling 411 to get the main # for The Mart (?). Also try asking the GA girls if they know the name and/or # for it. GA might still have some summer stuff where NY might have all fall/winter stuff! I really hope this jumble has made some sense and helped in some way!

edited b/c my cross face came out ALL wrong :)
HTH

newbelly2002
03-25-2004, 05:36 AM
It sounds great and you've had lots of wonderful advice.

Personally, I love the brand CP Shades. They are exactly what you're talking about--comfy, casual, but still really nice looking. I miss their clothes...

Good luck!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

sntm
03-25-2004, 11:31 AM
very exciting! most of what i buy is from catalogs or named stores, but i love jeans and jean jackets by Earl Jeans. i refuse to stop wearing my low rider earl jeans from several years ago despite my post-preg belly (just wear them with long shirts!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

jamsmu
03-25-2004, 11:43 AM
I love the play area idea. I think that would be a great way to make moms feel comfortable going there. Remember when Children's Place had the gym area? We never minded going shopping there with mom when we were little.

Your concern sounds so similar to mine. I'd have to stop storytime on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Music class on Fridays, etc. Especially in the beginning because from what I hear it is so hard to start and the first few years require the most work. Which is why I am so apprehensive.

It would be much easier with a partner, which is why my sister and I are talking about it. I also think working with a sister, who is so easy to argue with, then hug and make up, may be a good idea for me. But, then it also becomes a family thing and I'm sure we'd have dad as a silent (but not so silent partner.)

I started reading the retailing book last night. Its not as easy of a read as the Girls Guide. But its very upfront about the challenges. I feel like the book is trying to weed out the people who aren't up for it.

Julie

alkagift
03-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Tammy,
Awesome idea. I don't know of any brands that you could carry, per se, but I thought I would recommend to you Chico's-style stuff. I see a few hip mammas (and grandmammas) wearing their stuff--primarily because of the colors and the accessories. They are primarily cotton and linen casuals (but feminine) that play down here well because of the heat. The accessories really make that brand.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

alkagift
03-25-2004, 03:26 PM
Tammy,
Robyn's referring to the America's Mart in downtown Atlanta--a huge place where manufacturers showcase their wares to retailers--it's closed to the public except under certain circumstances. I highly recommend it. You can check it out at www.americasmart.com

Allison
Mom to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

COElizabeth
03-25-2004, 03:45 PM
How exciting! I have no fashion advice, but I was thinking about the store last night and had some ideas about the play area. It's not unusual to find stores that have some toys or a little table for kids, but honestly, those do not help me because James can still roam around the store, pull things off the shelves, and, worst of all, head straight for the door! I have to watch carefully to make sure he doesn't head out into the street as soon as he spies the door closing behind another customer!

So my suggestion would be to create a play area with some sort of barrier like a half-wall. Parents could see over it easily, but it would be too high for kids to climb over. I would be able to spend much more time in a store if there were some place I could put James where he would be happy playing, I could watch him, and where he couldn't escape! Also, sometimes stores fill those areas with toys that are dangerous for smaller children. Even crayons are not too popular with me, because James eats them. I'd love to see a nice clothing store with an enclosed area with a Step 2 or Little Tikes climber/slide thing that both toddlers and preschoolers could use.

Also, a comfortable nursing chair in a secluded place (like the dressing area) would be nice, and if you could somehow configure the dressing rooms so people could still see their kids in the play area, that would be great, too. And all these things would be good for Lauren, too! Have fun!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02